Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel Gauge not working

Views : 3351

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2017, 00:52   #1
Phildent

Default Fuel Gauge not working

Hi everyone.
I recently had cause to remove the fuel tank due to a petrol smell. The fault was a tiny crack on the small right angle plastic bit on the return pipe. Fixed it and replaced the tank. All good. Except the fuel gauge now doesn't work. I have. 1) Removed the pump and put a multi meter on the sender unit contacts, and it reads perfectly when you move the float up and down. 2) cleaned the contacts on the plug and on top of the fuel pump. 3) My son has the proper Volvo OBD and computer programme. We have tested the gauge and it works perfectly, 4) I have looked carefully at the connecting plug for broken wires and can see nothing.
All I did was remove the tank and replace it. :?
Can anyone please offer any suggestion as to what I can do next. I'm stuck.
Thanks in advance
Phil
Phildent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 19:29   #2
gatos
Premier Member

I was going to suggest most of the things you have already mentioned that you've checked, so it is a bit odd. It's either a wiring problem somewhere along the way to the instrument cluster, or that the actual gauge in the instrument cluster has gone faulty. I know it does not make any sense, as you have not been anywhere near it, but from what you have checked already, this is the only thing left to check. You could check for a reading with your multimeter at the actual connector that plugs in the instrument cluster and see if you are getting a signal. This way, you can narrow down where the problem might be.

For wiring diagrams, see here

2000_S40_V40.pdf

2001_S40_V40.pdf

2002_S40_V40.pdf

2003_S40_V40.pdf

2004_S40_V40.pdf

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2019, 00:42   #3
Wayne Perry

Default 04 Volvo S40 1.9 lt Fuel Guage

Low warning light always goes off after start up, Fuel guage works mabye 50 %
of the time.

I have replaced fuel pump assembly, Same problem,

Does the low warning light and fuel guage get their voltage from the same wire? I have inspected the instrument cluster and wiring,,, All look good

Is there a relay that supplies voltage ?

Is it possible the relay has bad points?
I have been trying to find a wiring diagram but no luck,

Any help would be appreciated

Wayne
Wayne Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 22:54   #4
Ashash

Default 2004 S40 fuel gauge issues

Would you mind reposting the link to the wiring diagrams for a 2004 S40? I’ve had a new fuel pump fitted and the fuel gauge issue has now gone from intermittent to near permanent. Thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
I was going to suggest most of the things you have already mentioned that you've checked, so it is a bit odd. It's either a wiring problem somewhere along the way to the instrument cluster, or that the actual gauge in the instrument cluster has gone faulty. I know it does not make any sense, as you have not been anywhere near it, but from what you have checked already, this is the only thing left to check. You could check for a reading with your multimeter at the actual connector that plugs in the instrument cluster and see if you are getting a signal. This way, you can narrow down where the problem might be.

For wiring diagrams, see here

2000_S40_V40.pdf

2001_S40_V40.pdf

2002_S40_V40.pdf

2003_S40_V40.pdf

2004_S40_V40.pdf
Ashash is offline   Reply With Quote