Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Inconsiderate Parking, or Opening of Car Doors

Views : 3529

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2019, 17:42   #11
green van man
Premier Member

Please do not mention developers.
Every new house has to have parking for 2 cars, usually one on the drive and one in the garage. My site was biult 16 years ago and no one parks their cars in the garage, why? Because they are too damn small. You will struggle to park a smart car in them and open the door.
I have no garage and was expected to park 2 cars on the drive, again smart cars maybe but a landrover discovery ano an xc70 no chance.
I widened the drop curbs and tarmaced most of the front garden, can now park a sprinter, the landrover and the xc70 side by side and get in and out of them.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2019, 18:16   #12
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Every new house has to have parking for 2 cars, usually one on the drive and one in the garage. My site was biult 16 years ago and no one parks their cars in the garage, why? Because they are too damn small. You will struggle to park a smart car in them and open the door.
I have no garage and was expected to park 2 cars on the drive, again smart cars maybe but a landrover discovery ano an xc70 no chance.
I widened the drop curbs and tarmaced most of the front garden, can now park a sprinter, the landrover and the xc70 side by side and get in and out of them.

Paul.
Same with my house (2yrs old) I have a garage & a drive, I could get the XC60 in the garage but no way would I get out of it, a) too narrow to open the doors & I suspect b) not tall enough to be able to open the tailgate.

I would say though it's better now that maybe 10 or so years ago when I lived in West Berks, 1 development got away with providing either zero parking or having a shared parking space or rear garden. The developers argument being 'If we don't provide parking people won't have cars & use public transport as we're so close to the station'
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2019, 19:30   #13
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJudge View Post
Same with my house (2yrs old) I have a garage & a drive, I could get the XC60 in the garage but no way would I get out of it, a) too narrow to open the doors & I suspect b) not tall enough to be able to open the tailgate.

I would say though it's better now that maybe 10 or so years ago when I lived in West Berks, 1 development got away with providing either zero parking or having a shared parking space or rear garden. The developers argument being 'If we don't provide parking people won't have cars & use public transport as we're so close to the station'
Which really means we can use the space to put up more properties to make more money, what a stupid idea

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2019, 21:19   #14
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
Which really means we can use the space to put up more properties to make more money, what a stupid idea

TT
Exactly & the issue with that particular estate of an evening, every house has at least one car, most have 2, some of the larger ones have 3. Pavements chock a block with cars parked on the kerbs just to allow enough space for a car to pass, Mmm Fire Engines or Ambulances no hope.

Glad I never chose to buy a house there, saw the light & moved North.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 21:32   #15
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Same sort of stupid logic going on in Milton Keynes, from being a city designed around cars, with a grid system of dual carriageways, we've gone to an estate built a few years back with less than one space per house on the basis that if you had nowhere to park you'd give up car ownership and use the bus. Around here a lot of young families move in and ten years later their kids are 17+ and have cars of their own.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2019, 10:24   #16
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post

Paul.
You mean one is meant to keep cars in the garage? I thought the purpose of that area was to store deep-freezes, gardening stuff and generally 'big stuff' one doesn't want in the house?

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to christheancient For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2019, 12:18   #17
DSK
C70 T5

I have seen some shocking staff such as teachers giving cars a decent parking thwack whilst parking up of leaving. Rather than just ease in or out, its bumpty bump bump until they are in/out. This is in Wimbledon too... doesn't matter about the type of people either....

Its sad when others cause such damage (no matter how minor) to someone else's property especially when they take pride in thier vehicle.

Dashcams on at least now in parking mode and just park as far away as possible from others as you can... its all you can do.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSK For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2019, 13:00   #18
Dippydog
Premier Member

Part of it is the fact that the "official" size of a parking space has not changed in donkeys yonks where vehicles have increased in physical size and supermarkets/retail parks etc will generally go to the minimum required to maximise parking and therefore footfall so increased profit.The rest[or at least the greater part of the rest]is as others have noted is that people just don't care about either their own or more importantly other people property.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 00:09   #19
Stevied1960

Seems to happen every time you take you're son out, leave him at home to see if happens when he's not with you

Only joking, it's the same with me, I can find the most out of the way spot to park in an empty car park, yet when I return to my car there is always a numpty parked close to me, even though there are lots of other empty spaces
Old May 10th, 2019, 01:43   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevied1960 View Post
Seems to happen every time you take you're son out, leave him at home to see if happens when he's not with you

Only joking, it's the same with me, I can find the most out of the way spot to park in an empty car park, yet when I return to my car there is always a numpty parked close to me, even though there are lots of other empty spaces
I was going to suggest his son is a "ding-magnet" too!

Many moons ago i'd just finished restoring a Series III Jag Sovereign 4.2 and took my mum shopping one evening in Tescos. This particular store had two car parks, the main one where everyone headed for first and the overflow one where hardly anybody parked.
It was about 8-830 in the evening so fairly quiet but i parked in the overflow car park - no other cars around at all.

Came back to find the offside outer headlamp smashed. It had been raining so there were tyre tracks visible from the right angle in the car park lighting. It appeared a car had parked in the next row nearer the store in the nearest side to me but one or two spaces to the right.

The car park was still totally deserted except for my car and these numpties had driven into a space - they could easily have driven out but no, the halfwits (over-generous by 7/16) had reversed out of a space they could easily have driven out of, swung to their left as they did so and their bumper had smashed my headlamp.

It seems no matter how careful you are, sometimes you just can't evade Stupid!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: