Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 headlight washers and wipers dead

Views : 795

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2019, 22:52   #1
peter burton

Default V90 headlight washers and wipers dead

My V90 is going in for an MOT on Monday 20th, the headlight washers and wipers do not work, is that a fail, I think not. I checked the 25 am fuse which was not blown. Is there another fuse in the engine bay somewhere. The offside wiper was stuck upright at 12 o'clock so I removed the nut and reset to the down position. I think they packed up in the winter snow or were frozen on morning start up. Any help appreciated.
peter burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 09:44   #2
Ian21401
Premier Member

940, 1992. I’ve needed to dismantle and check the ageing headlamp wiper motors on my 940 three times since I acquired it in 2005. It’s fairly straightforward but care and patience is required. There’s a “how to” somewhere, I’ll try to find it. On the 940 it is easiest to do by removing the headlamp unit complete with motor etc. First time I did it the shafts from the motor to the blades were seized. ( I’ve had a similar problem on the rear wiper. ) The usual symptom now is one of the wipers “parking” on the wrong place, caused by the self park connector in the motor getting tired.
Are the washers still working? I think that this would indicate that the electrics are working. Check electrics by disconnecting the multi plug behind the hard lamps.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2019, 10:42   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

As far as i'm aware, it's not a fail on the MoT but i strongly suggest you refit the wayward wiper back in the place it was before you moved it. When you do get the motors working again, it is likely to damage the bodywork when it goes past where it should!

As for the electrics, i would check the plugs/connectors first that feed the motors and washer pump. Chances are they're corroded, a spray with contact cleaner and connecting/disconnecting the plugs/connectors several times with a final squirt of cleaner before final reconnection will often reinstate performance.

Also worth checking the pump inlet isn't clogged with crystals of washer fluid, calcium and so on. Sometime back the front washer pump on my 760 got lazy, on mine it feeds the main washer jets as well as the washer jets on the headlamp wipers.
I renewed it with an aftermarket (allegedly Meyle) pump that failed after about 18 months forcing me to refit the original.
With such a poor output from it, i added a second washer pump from another vehicle, drilled o hole in the reservoir for the seal and spliced into the wiring so the original functions were retained.

While the reservoir was out for fitting the extra pump, i soaked it overnight in a strong (6 or 7 tablets) of high strength denture cleaning tablets - lovely clean reservoir now! When i refitted it, to aid cleaning out of the various washer hoses, jets, valves etc i added a pint of white vinegar for a heavy duty clean/de-scale. Now i add a half pint once a year or so to keep it all clean. Don't use brown vinegar, it will stain everything it comes into contact with!

You say you checked the 25A fuse? Did you actually pull it out and inspect it, holding it up to the light to check for any hairline cracks in the fusible link inside it? Should look something like this :

That fuse fed the RH sidelights on my non-Volvo. They stopped working during the MoT but luckily the tester didn't notice as he was checking the rear fogs when it happened and i was conveniently stood in the way of his mirror so he couldn't see the right hand side lights but could still see the rear fogs.

The real problem with that fuse was this :

Corrosion on the actual blades. A new fuse had the sidelights working again but having just a quick visual check on the fuse often isn't enough - if in any doubt, replace, preferably with new.

There was a case some time back now of a non-starter. The OP on that had claimed he had checked the fuse and replaced the fuel pump relay and it still didn't work. I had originally suggested renewing the fuse, he eventually admitted he had checked the fuse and it looked fine. I urged him to actually renew the fuse. Hey presto, it started!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2019, 10:51   #4
wrinkles
VOC Member

Mine have never worked in fact they are not connected and the car passed mot yesterday
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wrinkles For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2019, 11:27   #5
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Everything the Laird said. plus,

As Wrinkles said, MOT probably ok. Why not simply remove the wiper blades before presenting for test and replace afterwards but with the one you moved in it’s original “wrong” position as Dave suggested.
The “how to” service the motors is in the 850/x70 S1 Articles. By Jod T5, dating from Jan. 13 2008. I followed it and it worked.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2019, 11:18   #6
nu11eaf
Premier Member

New MOT rules include headlight washers for cars after 1st Sept 2009, cars before that date are not included for this part of the MOT test.

(headlight washers on vehicles first used from 1 September 2009 (if they have them)
If fitted they must work.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2019, 11:41   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
New MOT rules include headlight washers for cars after 1st Sept 2009, cars before that date are not included for this part of the MOT test.

(headlight washers on vehicles first used from 1 September 2009 (if they have them)
If fitted they must work.
Interesting! When did these rules come into force? Also is that only for headlamp pressure washers or the wash/wipe system fitted to most Volvos?

Thankfully won't effect me as my Volvo is 1988 but nice to keep my knowledge up to date.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 18th, 2019, 18:57   #8
bob12
bob12

In addition to the Thread in the 850 etc Section mentioned above for servicing/repair of the Bosch headlight wiper motor/s. The same motor/s are fitted to a Saab. Here is a link to a Thread on the Saab Forum that I found useful a few years ago: http://www.saab9000.com/procedures/e...wiperepair.php Bob.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2019, 23:59   #9
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Interesting! When did these rules come into force? Also is that only for headlamp pressure washers or the wash/wipe system fitted to most Volvos?

Thankfully won't effect me as my Volvo is 1988 but nice to keep my knowledge up to date.
The new rules came in on the 20th May 2018,

If washer jets are attached to wipers and wipers are not working I would imagine it would fail, but only on cars after Sept 2009. It will not apply to those registered before then.

There are lots of new regulations now in the test, including headlight levelling systems, emission systems, exhaust systems (Cat and DPF) etc etc.

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov....equipment.html

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov....als/class3457/
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; May 20th, 2019 at 00:01.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2019, 00:11   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
The new rules came in on the 20th May 2018,

If washer jets are attached to wipers and wipers are not working I would imagine it would fail, but only on cars after Sept 2009. It will not apply to those registered before then.

There are lots of new regulations now in the test, including headlight levelling systems, emission systems, exhaust systems (Cat and DPF) etc etc.

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov....equipment.html

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov....als/class3457/
Thanks - i must have overlooked the headlamp washers from 2009 and probably a few other things that don't/won't effect me for the very simple reason that they won't effect me!

Half the trouble with the MoT these days if you have a "modern" (anything 2000 onwards in my book) is just keeping up with all the changes they keep introducing.