Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Big 4x4`s why do you really own/buy them really?

Views : 7268

Replies : 109

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 00:30   #11
Rich 264
Pinball Wizard

Round our way, it is as flat as a pancake, urban, never snows, and the roads are full of the bloody tanks.

What is really depressing is the mile of 4x4's outside every school gate, to pick up kids who only live 100 yards away.

How much of a hazard to kids is a 4x4? How many kids have been run over by the damn things?

If you want space whats wrong with a volvo estate!
Rich 264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 00:53   #12
OldBlueVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 264 View Post
Round our way, it is as flat as a pancake, urban, never snows, and the roads are full of the bloody tanks.

What is really depressing is the mile of 4x4's outside every school gate, to pick up kids who only live 100 yards away.

How much of a hazard to kids is a 4x4? How many kids have been run over by the damn things?

If you want space whats wrong with a volvo estate!
Yes, in these wintry mornings they probably leave the engine running in the drive for 5mins while heating up the car and scraping the windscreen etc, then drive 1 mile down the road before heading back.

William
OldBlueVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldBlueVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 01:30   #13
junk jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippedoffagain View Post

The only valid reason I can think of for these vehicles is that as our roads get more and more potholed through neglect, and we get more and more speed bumps, sooner or later we're all going to want something with suspension that can take a bit of punishment.
Very true my last 3 cars had most of the suspension componants replaced because of this .Solicitors letter to the council next time
junk jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 03:41   #14
andy_d
Premier Member

i Think its aimed at those that "tesco car park" is as far off road as they dare go..

you know the ones, they cant drive, but think they own the road, do the school run etc and generally have them as a symbol of "im better". not those who use a 4x4 properly or as a large motor for towing things (but not caravans,, esp not in front of me pleeeeeeese). i Think the "4x4" replaced the cars with "i" on the boot for the newer generation of "company car users" (cant call them drivers,,not really) , back in the days when i had company cars the "i" on the boot always seemed to get the attention of ...well to be blunt the utter chumps who thought the "i" stood for "important" .

A early landy i admit would be my "lust after" car, but i know id miss the comforts of the volvo's ive had. But at least i could Fix the darn thing and not worry about all the electronics going bork.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 07:41   #15
dodgyken
Master Member

I'll be joining that club with the X-Trail in the next couple of weeks. FWD - with an auto mode or a full time mode. Not a full size 4*4 but definitely a bit of girlie one.

So why shout about it? Simple! X-Trail 2.2 diesel will tug 2000kg - the cargo area is covered in plastic and it has more seat down space than a V70. It will be used for all the things it can do.

Meanwhile - I will have the 20 year old BMW 525 for daily driving - and the Alpina Roadster for driving driving
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 07:46   #16
cam
Premier Member

my toyota is just a farm tractor work horse and a bit of fun,it doesent go on the road,road use is saved for my
old faithfull 850.
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 09:50   #17
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Sorry, didn't mean to rant quite so much

I get a bit wound up when people (appear to) criticise my Landies - we're not all the same

I agree with what you're saying re the soft-roader brigade, and as I hinted at, I also get annoyed by the school run dolts that don't/can't park but just abandon their hulk within a few feet of the footpath. It does give the rest of us a bad reputation.

Sadly because all cars are getting bigger and bigger, I imagine that 4x4s will continue to get bigger as well - its down to the marketing people trying to retain that visual differentiation between 'small' and 'large'. This is a BAD thing - all pukka offroad enthusiasts will tell you that even a Defender 90 can be too big sometimes, which is why the old classic Landrovers are still very competitive. They're light in comparison, and narrow, and with the original narrow but tall tyres they can go places without causing lots of damage, which is another of my pet hates (yobs in 4x4s tearing up the countryside rather than doing it with finesse leaving barely a trace of a vehicle having passed by). But I digress...

NB The old Subaru estate is a great 4x4 car - expensive to insure and maintain but very capable, far more than it should be given its ground clearance. A good choice
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 10:17   #18
pdrvolvo
Master Member

the last nine cars i,ve bought have been volvo.i,ve towed caravans for thirty years.my current van is a twin axle model resulting in me haveing to buy an xc90 to stay well within the car to van weight ratio and still drive a volvo.i never thought i would buy a 4x4 as i never really liked them that much.big,heavy and the aerodynamics of a brick.i agree with most of the comments in this thread and would probably sell mine if i downsize the van.on the plus size it will carry any amount of cargo and is extremely powerful and practicle.

peter.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 10:23   #19
white90

Why shouldn't anyone own one
I have a Defender
and last Friday drove it to Norfolk from Somerset
safe in the knowledge I'd get there
the V40 and SLK stayed at home and avoided the crashes that we saw all the way after Reading.
Now I really enjoy the V40 but when the roads are treacherous
the Defender is equipped to get me where I want to go.
Now I could list the cars I saw in the Ditches or Armco
they obviously were not suited or the drivers weren't to the prevailing conditions.
white90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 10:33   #20
Blue 8
Premier Member

Its not the R-Thunders Im talking about, its these people that seem to buy these 4X4 simple because they "think" they impressing others IMHO I can`t see any other reason for owning one ,

Most of you will never drive one through a puddle let along take it off road for fear of damaging it that will result in costing you thousands to put right, and you think to much of your expensive leather trim to allow mud ect in it

and lets be honest to say you buy them for size is bull as they no bigger than a large estate car in fact most don`t have the loading capacity of a large estate car, I can see only one real reason for "most" buying one of these things and I wont type that

Im not having a dig here but after get stuck behind 3 of the ruddy things one for over 4 miles I was asking myself WHY why do poeple really own these things , the rest of us mere mortals are getting on with it in our humble 2 wheel drives yet these people with there soft roaders. are so worried about there status symbols that most don`t even know how to drive the things

Last edited by Blue 8; Dec 23rd, 2009 at 10:35.
Blue 8 is offline   Reply With Quote