Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Driveshafts and Motor/Gearbox mounts

Views : 2861

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 6th, 2020, 09:39   #41
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
but I think that might be the best way of approaching this one. What do you think?
I'm afraid I've lost track now of exactly what you are trying to achieve. Are you aiming to replace the centre bearing? Is that all, or are the joints worn so you need to remove the entire prop shaft?

What is wrong with the centre joint? Have you tried lubricating it?
I've never found one that is actually worn - you can lever the card sealing ring out a fraction with a sharp spike and inject oil, then spin the bearing, and I've always found the transformation is miraculous and I've then just put it all back together again for the next 100,000 miles.
You don't need to dismantle anything to access the ball race - just drop the cross member holding the rubber doughnut, so the prop shaft dangles a bit in a loop, then slide the doughnut along the shaft a bit so that the race can run free. It takes minutes to do - I've done it occasionally just to check whether the bearing really is the source of a noise or vibration.

If you really need to replace the ball race then uncouple the joint at the diff and pull the rear shaft out of the greasy joint. Then letting the front shaft dangle you can use your puller to remove the bearing. If this won't work than it's probably easier to uncouple the front flange too and cut/chisel the bearing free in the work vice.

There are two sizes of rubber doughnut to fit the two sizes of ball race - earlier are smaller than later. They are meant to be quite soft. I once bought a new one convinced the prop seemed too flappy, but I found the new one (Volvo) was just the same - it's how they are.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2020, 13:34   #42
Othen
Premier Member

Bob, and also Clifford,

This is a copy I've left for Dave (LS) on the RB thread:

... it is not raining! I had a better look under the RB and I think you were right - I have found the problem:

The rubber doughnut that holds the centre bearing in place is compromised and has a hole big enough to put my finger through it at the top. The bearing itself seems to spin well, but I'll change it anyway.

The replacement assembly has not arrived yet (due tomorrow) so there is no point doing any more prep. The RB is raised and I've cracked all 8 nuts on the flanges and the two bolts that secure the cross member.

Come on postie, I want to get on with this job.

Alan
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: