Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ignition lock barrel removal

Views : 392

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 17:11   #1
heckflosse
Premier Member

Default Ignition lock barrel removal

Good evening everyone,
Can any of the old hands out there remember how to remove a 240 ign lock barrel?

I vaguely remember something about turning the key to position 2? then pushing in the small dimple on the side.
needless to say this hasn't worked.The dimple refused to budge-and there seem to be 2 of them. Column is out of the car and was a 1992 vehicle.
Any advice?
Thanks , Jim
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 17:17   #2
heckflosse
Premier Member

Panic over, have sorted it a different way.
The Following User Says Thank You to heckflosse For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 20:14   #3
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckflosse View Post
Panic over, have sorted it a different way.
Out of interest- how?

I will change my 240 to a set of matching locks at some point, so knowing how you managed this bit would be ace- thanks

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 16:22   #4
heckflosse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
Out of interest- how?

I will change my 240 to a set of matching locks at some point, so knowing how you managed this bit would be ace- thanks

Cheers
Nothing mysterious, no rabbit out of a hat stuff, just decided to swap columns with an earlier one.
First time in months I was able to get back onto rebuilding the 265...then hiccups started.
Full Big Chief I Spy anorak points for anyone who knows the difference between a 1979 steering lock and a later 1990s one-the bolt mounting spacing is different by about 10mm and wont line up with the brace panel above your knees.
I'd mislaid/lost/thrown out by mistake the brace panel on the 265 and was trying to swap a later column in to match the 1987 replacement brace I'd been given.
So I cut the mounting on the brace panel and narrowed it to suit, all Mig welded to be strong and safe of course.
If the barrel had come out as I remember they should, it would have been easy. It refused to budge.
But if you want easy, don't mess with old cars.
Probably easiest to match all locks to the ignition switch-the door ones are easy.
Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by heckflosse; Oct 4th, 2020 at 16:37.