Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Joy Of 240's, with issues...

Views : 56638

Replies : 272

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2020, 22:25   #101
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Cosmic.

You are welcome.

If I can ease myself in to gear, I will send by email tomorrow, Wednesday.

The PDF is not small. But I have managed to send it to a couple of forum members in the past.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2020, 22:11   #102
CosmicBike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Cosmic.

You are welcome.

If I can ease myself in to gear, I will send by email tomorrow, Wednesday.

The PDF is not small. But I have managed to send it to a couple of forum members in the past.
Email received, thank you. Loads of detail in there which will no doubt be useful in keeping Grace going.
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2020, 07:02   #103
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicBike View Post
Email received, thank you. Loads of detail in there which will no doubt be useful in keeping Grace going.
It is good to see forum members helping one another.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2020, 20:42   #104
CosmicBike

Well Grace hasn't moved of late, through no fault of her own. I have nowhere to go, I'm stuck working at home which is far busier than I imagined, so only weekends and evenings to play. TBH I'm normally too tired to play after dinner, but tonight was an exception.
The aim, to see if the clutch was dragging. Gear selection with engine off is perfect, but as soon as she's running any gear selection is hard when stationary, and reverse really clanks in. Once moving it's no issue, so I reckoned dragging.
Back end suitably up on stands with wheels off the ground, and sure enough with the engine running, clutch depressed, any attempt to select any rear resulted in the wheels starting to spin.
Just to really make my day, I found a 4" split in the exhaust. I suspect that will get bandaged for now.

Righty ho then, any suggestions for best place to get a clutch, and any tips for changing it on the driveway with just axle stands and a set of ramps??
I'm handy with a set of spanners so quite happy to take it on, after all it can't be much worse than the one I changed on my brothers 306 GTi6 last Summer...can it..???
The Following User Says Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2020, 13:24   #105
CosmicBike

In a break from playing Volvo, I played Ford instead. A little bit of work on the Capri and the wing is off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drivers Wing Off.jpg (265.3 KB, 15 views)
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 09:31   #106
CosmicBike

I fitted a new garage door last weekend, got shot of the old 'up & over' and replaced with a nice electric sectional door. Being tight it is of course second hand, but pretty much as new. Now there is no projection required to open the garage, Grace can be tucked up nice and tight, allowed SWMBO to get her car on the drive along with my campervan.
Old door, suitably heavy but in bits, all fitted into grace's huge rear. OK we did bottom out on one of the speedhumps at the dump (recycling centre), she was riding rather low....
A bonus find in the roof of the garage was a pair of Thule roof bars, left from my V70 days. They fit perfectly, so now I have bars or roof rack options.

On the mechanical front, the exhaust has been bandaged, and we are now as peaceful as we should be. The clutch is awaiting me picking up a set of wobble bar extensions so I can access the top bellhousing bolts, and then we'll be up on ramps for a bit.
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 11:44   #107
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I fitted a new garage door last weekend, got shot of the old 'up & over' and replaced with a nice electric sectional door. Being tight it is of course second hand, but pretty much as new. Now there is no projection required to open the garage, Grace can be tucked up nice and tight, allowed SWMBO to get her car on the drive along with my campervan.
Old door, suitably heavy but in bits, all fitted into grace's huge rear. OK we did bottom out on one of the speedhumps at the dump (recycling centre), she was riding rather low....
Happiness is: electric garage doors...

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ask6E_1jz4xI_S73...1tlZK?e=l0Ln0k

:-)

Alan
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 20:07   #108
CosmicBike

40 miles on the bike to limber up, and I thought I'd get under Grace post-lunch. I got as far as getting her up on ramps, only 1 of them was sliding so lumps of old patio pressed into service. The plans of scoping out the gearbox removal are placed 2nd to clearing the conservatory, apparently. It rained anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grace On Ramps.jpg (232.4 KB, 14 views)
Old Jun 8th, 2020, 07:31   #109
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
40 miles on the bike to limber up
40 miles on a push bike is impressive - I find my 24 mile circuit to Market Harborough and back hard work these days (but then I'm becoming an old man, it happens to us all).

Stay safe,

Alan
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2020, 13:39   #110
CosmicBike

Well 45 minutes under Grace this morning has confirmed that the author if a very good guide on how to change the clutch (Mike Brace in the articles section) is indeed correct, you need some wobbe bars to get to certainly one of the top bellhousing bolts. Managed to crack one of the pair with a few extensions and a UJ, but no chance of getting the second. Back for attempt 2 after borrowing or buying a set.
I reckon Volvo were in the parts bin for these late ones. The lower bellhousing bolts are 14mm, the upper are 18mm. Weirdos.
The Following User Says Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post: