Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can anyone tell me what this is?

Views : 608

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 19:31   #1
P0Ps

Default Can anyone tell me what this is?

Ive had a search and cant figure out what this valve is?

First off, the car is a 244 dl with B21 carb engine

Two hoses go to the carb inlet and the other goes down the bulkhead and about a foot along the underside of the car. The solenoid is powered closed when the engine is running.

I also have a fuel tank breather that just goes to athmosphere under the car and we get the odd wiff of fuel in the car.

My best guess was someones removed a carbon canester and this was part of the fuel tank breather system. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A84B8F99-AA1C-4FE3-889D-B654D8BEA40E.jpg (125.3 KB, 54 views)
P0Ps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2020, 21:22   #2

Yes it is a hot start valve. It opens when switched off to vent the float chamber and was fitted starting on the 80 model year. A Kit was available for problem cars before that. The pipe that runs down under the floor was just to vent the vapor away. The 79 model year had a pipe inside the air filter pipe that ran to the air filter but there was a recall to put a split pin through the pipe to stop it falling off and being sucked in to jam the carb butterfly open. After that the Hot start kit was fitted under warranty.
140 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 140 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 05:46   #3
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 140 View Post
Yes it is a hot start valve. It opens when switched off to vent the float chamber and was fitted starting on the 80 model year. A Kit was available for problem cars before that. The pipe that runs down under the floor was just to vent the vapor away. The 79 model year had a pipe inside the air filter pipe that ran to the air filter but there was a recall to put a split pin through the pipe to stop it falling off and being sucked in to jam the carb butterfly open. After that the Hot start kit was fitted under warranty.
Now that is very interesting. There is no sign of this having ever been fitted to the Royal Barge (1980 244GL with the B21a motor and a Peirburg carburettor). At first I thought someone might have removed it some time in the past 4 decades, but I've just had a look and cannot find any evidence of it.

Stay alert,

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 09:03   #4
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Olaf_the_2 never had one fitted either; possibly the second owner never exxperienced any problems with the car, or Buchanans of Glasgow (for whom the car was a demonstrator) set it up correctly.
I think that the key phrase is "[k]it was available for problem cars"; Volvo's philosophy was "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 20:27   #5
P0Ps

It is interesting. I presume the fuel tank is just vented to atmosphere then?

The air filter housing is missing on our 244 and the two pipes that would vent the carb are currently plumbed into the inlet housing. So at present, it’s effectively doing nothing...
P0Ps is offline   Reply With Quote