Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo

Views : 864

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2011, 17:05   #1
XCF
Master Member

Default Volvo

Do the XC90 Aero bars have a proper key lock ?

I've looked at a set and can see that the cover is secured in place with the car key or end of the fitting tool but it isn't locked. That means anyone can remove the cover and simply un-do the Torx bolt to remove the bars (and take anything attached to the bars with them )

Is there an additional accessory to lock the bars on ?

Thanks..
XCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 17:47   #2
raife

SSShhhhhh don't tell everyone.... you're right they don't.
raife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 20:18   #3
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Yup, no locking ... thats why I ended up purchasing Thule Aero bars ... locks on the bars and locks on the mounting clamps .... TBH ... I'm sure if anyone really wants to take them off they will just use brute force ... after all its likely to be the contents rather than the bars they want ... so they wont care what state they leave them or the car in!
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 08:24   #4
raife

I think the volvo bars are so well made/designed. Not only the shape but also the ease of fitting/removing.
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 10:56   #5
TheDufster

Brute force will certainly do the trick. I know from experience.

Found out on the first day of last year's holiday in France, managed to rip the whole roof box including cross bars from the top of the car and on to the ground behind. The weak point is indeed the grips of the roof bars where they fix on to the car's longitudinal bars.

Luckily there was only a 10mm long (if that) scratch on the top of the plastic spoiler on the roof, no other damage (apart from a knackered box and bars). Managed to repair the roofbox with duck tape and somehow wangle the bars back on to the car and completed the holiday without further incident.

Made for a good talking point though when pulling up in car parks etc. LOL.

XC40 1.5 T3 R-Design
TheDufster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 08:46   #6
raife

Did you hit something low to do that?
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 06:49   #7
TheDufster

It was a concrete beam in an underground car park, was doing 5-10mph when I hit it.

Totally my fault, but we had been on the road a long time, but in France they tend not to have as many warning notices as in Britain. There was a small sign next to the door on the street, but I didn't notice it. We had to drive through a roller-shutter type entrance from the street, and looking back afterwards the Volvo with Roofbox must have cleared that by literally a few millimetres. Went down the ramp and "bang!".

I have had the roofbox a while, but previously had it mounted on a Saab 95 estate - a lot lower than the XC90.

I was actually quite impressed with how I handled the situation as I was obviously quite annoyed and upset, but I managed to vent my frustration without any expletives (3 kids in the back). Can look back and laugh at it now as at the end of the day no-one was hurt and we managed to carry on with our trip. Insurance paid for the repair to the car (£60) and a replacement roofbox/bars.

It happened at the Suite Novotel in Rouen, which is by the way an ideal family hotel if you are travelling that way - just be warned about the underground car park if you have got anything on the roof. Imagine if I had a load of bikes up there (!)

Ho ho, live and learn.

XC40 1.5 T3 R-Design
TheDufster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 07:51   #8
Bill Edmondson
AV Guru

Although now living in Brighton, we lived in Andalucia for a few years prior.

When we moved down there we did so in our beloved 850 with roof box and 2 very expensive mountain bikes on the roof and a trailer behind.

After about 14 hours solid driving I pulled into a Spanish motorway service station and noticing the shaded parking thought Oow Ill park there when sudddenly bang!!! We came to an abrupt halt as my bike was ripped from the roof. Bent the seat post only thank god!

So your not the only weary driver to have done this!
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 07:57   #9
raife

It's so easily done. The car park in Braunton near me has a height restriction at one and that is battered. Lots of "surfers" from London driving down and forgetting surfboards are on the roof!!
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 12:10   #10
owenfackrell
Premier Member

It's one of the reasons I won't my bike on the roof of a car. With my boat on the back the mast over hangs to the sunroof and is at least 7 foot up so clears the car. By a large amount though with the cat on the back it's hard to forget about.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote