Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Removal of gearbox sump plug

Views : 552

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2017, 21:12   #1
daniel mossey

Default Removal of gearbox sump plug

Hi to remove the sump,plug do you have to remove the smaller centre torx bit or is the a socket that sits over this smaller inner torx that I cann buy?

Also I tried removing the driveshaft as the abs is cracked on the front right wheel. So I removed the axel bolt and had it on full lock and used suitable drift to see if it would move before taking of more but there was no movement at all. Am I expecting too much before removing the track rod end and lower strut bolt as I don't want to remove further if axle is seized?
daniel mossey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2017, 22:56   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel mossey View Post
Hi to remove the sump,plug do you have to remove the smaller centre torx bit or is the a socket that sits over this smaller inner torx that I cann buy?

Also I tried removing the driveshaft as the abs is cracked on the front right wheel. So I removed the axel bolt and had it on full lock and used suitable drift to see if it would move before taking of more but there was no movement at all. Am I expecting too much before removing the track rod end and lower strut bolt as I don't want to remove further if axle is seized?
yes you need to take out the centre level check screw , some ( not all ) fluid will come out if the engine is not running .. a 17 mm AF hexagon will then fit ...
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 08:04   #3
rapidvxr

hi , i checked mine the same way before venturing further , lucky for me mine were free with bolt removed , yours may have had loctite applied to stop the anoying axel ping , if so heat breaks loctites bond but also destroys wheel bearings and other things
rapidvxr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rapidvxr For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 11:53   #4
gmonag
Premier Member

You should be able to move the driveshaft in and out a few mm with the bolt off. Don't belt it whilst it is still in place or you may damage the CV joints. I removed the two bolts halfway up the strut and swung the hub to one side to get the axle out. No need to undo the track rod end.
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 18:13   #5
daniel mossey

Hi guys thanks for the replies. Yes I'm wondering if it's stuck and let an indie do it. Shame really as I was looking forward to doing it. Wanted to ask because someone may off experienced this at first and then it moved.
Dan
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 19:22   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel mossey View Post
Hi guys thanks for the replies. Yes I'm wondering if it's stuck and let an indie do it. Shame really as I was looking forward to doing it. Wanted to ask because someone may off experienced this at first and then it moved.
Dan
Volvo have a hydraulic press tool to free these which attaches to the hub , but if someone has plastered it with loctite , only heat can free it and/or with the whole assembly , driveshaft and housing in a proper hydraulic press
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 19:59   #7
daniel mossey

Hi I remembers noticing a yellow mark in the end of the stub axle. Could this be the original markings? I'm sure it can be removed.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 22:54   #8
daniel mossey

Did a sump dump today and got 2.7 Lts out today and the colour was dark Brown with still a hint of cherry on a tissue. No particles on plug. Feels more responsive but I'll see over the next few days. Thanks for help.
Whilst the feed pipe to the throttle housing was off I cleaned that side and some sludge was inside but nothing to what I was expecting. Will clean the left side off the housing to the inlet another time.