Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How smooth is an xc90

Views : 1071

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2011, 09:46   #1
Bill Edmondson
AV Guru

Default How smooth is an xc90

Not so much a problem, but a point thats been on my mind since buying mine.

How smooth should it feel. Not tyre wise but seat of your pants and soles of your feet wise, audable type way. Confused?

After selling my plush wafting v70 and buying the xc I am aware of the transmission I guess is what Im trying to say.

Theres a certain tiny roughness I can sense, the car runs perfectly in all respects but as above Im just slightly aware of the gears rotating kind of thing.

Does anybody else understand or have any thoughts?
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 13:02   #2
XC90Fan

I think you mean how smooth is the auto transmission

To be honest I am not impressed with the transmission. The gear change is smooth but the progression is not nice at all. On the low gears it feels lumpy and slow. That is why a lot of people get their car tuned or chipped. This really should have been fixed by Volvo themself.

Apart from that the car is really smooth in every way. I am comparing it to an RX300 Petrol as that was my previous car.
XC90Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 21:24   #3
The Painter

I`m probably not the best reviewer for the question due to the fact that my XC is only a year old and has covered only 2,000 miles, however I am constantly impressed with the level of both mechanical refinement and ride comfort, I wanted a 4 wheel drive that handled well but with some character as well, after trying pretty much all of the competition I was sold on both the handling/ride comfort ratio and also the sound and feel of the 5 cylinder engine, as for the gearbox smoothness and changing I think it`s up there with the best of them, but the XC is a far superior box to a Disco 4.
The Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 22:14   #4
Bill Edmondson
AV Guru

Yeah agree with you on that, suspension, seats, gears and gear change, good engine, good ride.

My point was that there (in my case) is a certain extra audio/feeling over and above my previous v70's. Its not a disconserting one, but your sort of definately aware you have say an active differntial sitting next to your left knee under the car and its saying I'm here can You hear and feel me!

Bonkers description but its hard to describe. Imagine this there are smooth greased gears under the centre of the car, and one day that grease is mostly removed, you would be able to feel the difference wouldnt you.

Is this sensation I describe simply the fact Ive gone from 2 to 4 wheel drive and all that it brings or does anyone think I have a problem (apart from the mental one)?
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 09:38   #5
owenfackrell
Premier Member

As yours is a 54 plate is your awd working?
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 11:26   #6
Bill Edmondson
AV Guru

I cannot answer that 100% but can say it digs in hard with no wheel spin on an uphill floor it situation in the rain and pulls very well considering I have a boot full of heavy kit at all times which has always since owning it made me think how good the 4wd actually is.

So in answer am almost 100% sure it is yes.

I guess again what I mean is should you be able to tell its a 4wd due to the fact its got all that extra hardware under the car in the way it sounds and feels. Bear in mind as mentioned this isn't loud more of a sensation. I'm cracking up aren't I?
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 13:12   #7
Paul XC90

After only a couple of months of XC90 ownership (MY05), I get a definite sense of mechanicals working under you on all occasions other than during steady cruising when it just wafts along. There are days when I like the noise but have to say it can become slightly irritating - so I turn the music up!

I just put this down to being diesel 4x4 ownership having owned a couple of Misubishi Shoguns (3.0 & 3.5 petrol autos) in the past which to the best of my memory felt and sounded (diesel apart) very similar on the road.
Paul XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul XC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 13:17   #8
Bill Edmondson
AV Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul XC90 View Post
After only a couple of months of XC90 ownership (MY05), I get a definite sense of mechanicals working under you on all occasions other than during steady cruising when it just wafts along. There are days when I like the noise but have to say it can become slightly irritating - so I turn the music up!

I just put this down to being diesel 4x4 ownership having owned a couple of Misubishi Shoguns (3.0 & 3.5 petrol autos) in the past which to the best of my memory felt and sounded (diesel apart) very similar on the road.
Exactly my point thanks that exactly how mine is
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 11:17   #9
bigtree
Not so Junior Member

Interesting on the noise front, i still have a droning noise (after changing a faulty front wheel bearing), garage said that all the others are quiet on the ramp with a stethoscope.

so maybe its just the natural noise of a 4x4 that i am hearing and trying to track down. Others have described the noise as tyre noise. Bizare thing is it seems to quieten at 80mph!!
bigtree is offline   Reply With Quote