Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noise - is it Tyres or Transmission?

Views : 599

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2011, 18:22   #1
davec

Default Noise - is it Tyres or Transmission?

We've had Nokian WR2's fitted to my wife's xc90 for the last 3 years/30k and I fully intended replacing with the same however even though we've swapped front to rear to even up wear, the rear's have just had to be replaced. Unfortunately there was no stock of winter tyres yet and it wasn't safe to risk waiting another 6-8 weeks for new winter stock so I got her to put a pair of Kumho KL12's on the rear to see it through. That was on Friday, yesterday we drove to London and I was surprised by the amount of tyre noise from the rear end.

Then setting off home today there is a red warning 'power system service urgent' with red triangle. I checked the forum when we got home and the received wisdom is that this is typically alternator not charging so I tested voltage across the battery at standstill and running and it appears to be charging fine. I also check the power sterring reservoir as the PS pump runs off the same belt as the alternator so wondered if this may be cuse of warning. The reservoir is slightly low and although I haven't been able to get hold of some top-up fluid this afternoon, there hasn't been any prolem with the PS so I don't think this can be the issue unless there is a depth sensor in the reservoir?

So I don't think the warning is related to the noise from the rear end - maybe just coincidence?

I wondered if the Kumho's were prone to noise but everyone here who has chaged all 4 don't mention any problem with noise, so I strated thinking is the noise actually transmission whine because we now have new tyres on the rear and part-worn (4-5mm) on the front?

Rear wheel bearings have recently been done so its not them! Oh and spare me the lecture on not mixing summer/winter tyres - it was only going to be for a few weeks, but I'm wondering now if I should just get another pair of Kumho's put on the front if it will cure the whine?

Is the AWD system prone to 'wind-up' from having different rolling circumferances front and rear?

Sorry for the long post, but any help appreciated
davec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 21:14   #2
owenfackrell
Premier Member

I have the khumos and don't have any noise from them they are also all season tyres rather than summer ones.
Some say not to mix tyre sizes due to the hadlex not liking it but there is no mention of this in my manual.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 22:37   #3
davec

Thanks for the reply - another confirmation that the Kumhos don't produce tyre noise. You are right the Kumhos are all season, in my haste to distinguish them from the winter Nokians I called them summer tyres!

From what limited knowledge I have of the Haldex coupling, it should cope fine with small deviations in tyres sizes as a result of tread depth, but I can't think what else has suddenly caused the noise. BTW this is a 2004 D5.

The wife was due to set off to the west country with the kids in the morning, but I think she better take my car so I can get these problems with the volvo looked in to. Really need to know what the 'Power System Urgent Service' warning is all about..
davec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 11:27   #4
bigtree
Not so Junior Member

Sorry to bump this but does anyone have any experience of noise with Yokohama Advan STs 18s?
bigtree is offline   Reply With Quote