Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 840336

Replies : 6336

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2021, 07:57   #361
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
the speedo/odometer could be changed of course Dave, but then it wouldn't be original - and with a nice car like that it would be good to keep it as it is (I think the same about the front number plate). It would be possible to get an overlay (or print one on transparent film) in MPH - which would look nicer.

I like the Japanese car (same as the RB but more modern), but I don't think the dealer would come down to what I might consider a reasonable price :-)
I did notice after posting that Alan that there is a red mark at the 50kmh point (30mph) and there may (not possible to see for sure due to photo angle) be others at 100 or 110 kmh which are ~60 and ~70mph so probably not necessary to keep on the safe side of the GATSOs etc.
The overlay could easily be produced by scanning a UK speedo dial, inverting it then changing the ink colour and printing it on acetate sheet. It could also be shrunk slightly so the mph figures appeared inside the kmh markings on the existing instrument. I'd suggest yellow or red to compliment and contrast with the grey of the instruments.

The Japanese car is an S90 Royal, in short a coachbuilt version of the 960/S90 with a few extras - i think it's also a longer wheelbase too, not stretched-limo type LWB but longer than standard. Something like 1100 RHD versions built i understand so rare as rocking horse manure and highly desirable in the right circles. Usually the price reflects this extra equipment and rarity, if you view it simply as a 22 year old Volvo you'll never see the value in it but if you see it as a real limited edition (which it really is) then you'll see the value in it, even at £10k.
Sadly Mr Camelot wasn't kind last night, not even a free Lucky Dip out of 4 lines (2 of which were following Saturdays draw which had a rolldown jackpot as nobody won it so i got a fiver as well as each Lucky Dip) so i'll have to pin my hopes on the (forecast) £4.2m rollover for saturday this week!

There are a few cars i'd buy if i won the lottery, most special in some way or another. An S90 Royal (in RHD) would be one of those.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 08:37   #362
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

The Japanese car is an S90 Royal, in short a coachbuilt version of the 960/S90 with a few extras - i think it's also a longer wheelbase too, not stretched-limo type LWB but longer than standard. Something like 1100 RHD versions built i understand so rare as rocking horse manure and highly desirable in the right circles. Usually the price reflects this extra equipment and rarity, if you view it simply as a 22 year old Volvo you'll never see the value in it but if you see it as a real limited edition (which it really is) then you'll see the value in it, even at £10k.

There are a few cars i'd buy if i won the lottery, most special in some way or another. An S90 Royal (in RHD) would be one of those.
I'm sorry to hear about the lotto Dave. I only get the tickets for the Saturday draw, so maybe this week...

Are you saying that car in the ad is a 960? Surely not, it looks for all the world like a 240 series car to me. There is something I quite like about that car, maybe it is the very fact it is a Japanese one. I'm sort of tempted to wait until near the end of the auction and if the bids do not reach silly levels then call the dealer and make him a silly offer. I know, I don't need a fourth car, but the RB becomes tax free next month, so it sort of wouldn't cost me any more....

Temptation!

PS. Are sure we are talking about the same Japanese Import car, this one clearly says 240 on the back:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-240...53.m1438.l2649

Last edited by Othen; Mar 11th, 2021 at 08:42. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 08:40   #363
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
I think you may have missed it but there is a post further up where i found said foglamp switch and sort of circled it in blue scribble.

Not quite sure about what you're suggesting about 4 brake lamps - if you mean converting one to a rear fog lamp and it's within 4" of the brake light, it's not legal. I found this out many moons ago with my last C210 Skyline, i was going to convert the outer (brake lights) red lens to stop/tail and the inner (originally tail light) to rear fog lights. They were closer than 4" apart and it was while chatting with a former colleague that he reminded me of that fact.
When i checked the legal stuff on it, there was a bit of a grey area as to whether it was the edges of the lamps in question or centres of the bulbs.

Sadly never got any further with that car because life got in the way but it moved with me 3 times until i found the A-pillars on both sides and sills on both sides had terminal rot in all 4 sections of each - 2 inner A-pillars and 2 inner sills and 2 outer A-pillars and 2 outer sills on both sides! They didn't want it to flex in the middle, obviously!
I DID miss your post with the switch circled.

The bit about having 4 stop lamps was down to inaccurate memory (well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it). What I actually should have written was that the last saloons (H-reg and possibly some G-reg ones) had the tail lamps in the outboard and inboard positions on the lower row with dual-filament bulbs, whereas the earlier 6-lamp units had the HIRGs in the lower outboard position beneath the indicators. I suspect that the 4" distance is bulb-centre to bulb centre.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 08:42   #364
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I'm sorry to hear about the lotto Dave. I only get the tickets for the Saturday draw, so maybe this week...

Are you saying that car in the ad is a 960? Surely not, it looks for all the world like a 240 series car to me. There is something I quite like about that car, maybe it is the very fact it is a Japanese one. I'm sort of tempted to wait until near the end of the auction and if the bids do not reach silly levels then call the dealer and make him a silly offer. I know, I don't need a fourth car, but the RB becomes tax free next month, so it sort of wouldn't cost me any more....

Temptation!
I think you may have missed the post that started me on about something slightly different Alan :

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=349

........ and the car referred to in it :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164747291407

They're both JDM imports so it gets confusing!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 08:48   #365
Dippydog
Premier Member

A S90 Royal has been advertised by a trader for some weeks now in CCW it's a 1998 car at £4,950.
This weeks copy of CCW has a price guide where it lists the 244/245[74-79] at Concours £3750 Good £2750 Usable £1200 and Project £600.The 240 saloon/estate[78-93] they have at Concours £5000 Good £3500 Usable £1650 and Project £700. Make of those prices what you will.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 10:07   #366
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
A S90 Royal has been advertised by a trader for some weeks now in CCW it's a 1998 car at £4,950.
This weeks copy of CCW has a price guide where it lists the 244/245[74-79] at Concours £3750 Good £2750 Usable £1200 and Project £600.The 240 saloon/estate[78-93] they have at Concours £5000 Good £3500 Usable £1650 and Project £700. Make of those prices what you will.
Could well be the same car, i don't get CCW as i have a subscription to Practical Classics and CCW seemed to be a duplicate of much of the stuff in that.

Many of the prices CCW uses are based on the PC Price Guide (which was included about 4 weeks back in the March issue - i kid you not!) and many of the prices in that are unrealistic - either way too low for current market trends or way too high unless the buyer and/or seller need serious psychiatric help.
Many cars aren't even listed that should be, performance and economy figures often aren't relative to the engine they quote them for, they also cite a problem (or say there are no problems with any of them! ) with one generation of a vehicle as being common to all models but is usually isolated to one particular age or engine/transmission of model in short the information isn't reliable in all areas and for me, that calls into question the reliability/veracity of all the information they give.

A more reliable indicator of current prices can be found by searching for the car you're after on ebay then ticking the "Sold Listings" box in the Advanced Search options. For example :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...&LH_Complete=1

Gives a better idea of what you should pay for which car.

However, i don't see any there that are JDM imports which will carry a premium as they are generally low mileage, have been better looked after (emissions regs are very strict in Japan as are things like their version of the MoT), have never seen salty roads and so on. Usually the mileage is lower due to Japan being relatively compact in many respects and the fact they have an amazingly efficient public transport system so cars tend to be used more for leasure and pleasure than purely commuting to/from work. Also because of the fact they tend to get earthquakes etc more than us, they usually invest more time and money into keeping their cars in top condition rather than spending it on bricks and mortar that could be destroyed by a quake or tsunami. Granted so could the car but as they are most likely using it to escape from the imminent tsunami, the chances are reduced.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 10:14   #367
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I think you may have missed the post that started me on about something slightly different Alan :

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=349

........ and the car referred to in it :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164747291407

They're both JDM imports so it gets confusing!
Doh! (as Homer would say) - silly me.
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 10:18   #368
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Several posts by several people were missed by several other people (myself included) about that time, mainly because it seemed everyone was replying at the same time and the forum was a bit slow to respond by sending emails out as notifications.

Think i've caught up but wouldn't be surprised to learn i'd missed one or two even with double-checking a couple of times.

Would be intersting to find out if that's the same S90 Royal as advertised in CCW as per Dippydogs post though.

Old Mar 11th, 2021, 10:39   #369
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Alan:~
The tape you mention for the badge VHB type is the better- some of the others are quite weak and don't last.

Usual precautions make sure the base/metal is clean (panel degreaser or other)
then have fun cutting the shapes to fit the badge- line up properly or you will be forever looking at it!
If you need to remove these gentle heat works (hair dryer) and slide fishing line behind the same- panel degreaser or white spirit again to remove the residue.
The later 240 also has "Volvo" badges on the front wings under the side trim but smaller than the boot logo.
Regards Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 13:47   #370
Thekilt

Theres another website that you seem to see a few Volvo's purchased off ebay and then re-listed for higher, and on their site (https://www.quickandbig.com/our-range) they only unsed to deal with estates and SUV's (hence the name) and the V70Rs were a favourite of theirs. I saw at least 3 V70Rs on ebay relisted on their website for a good couple of grand more than what they were won on ebay. Apprently "new service all around" since the big and quick crew purchased it, but i doubt it. I have been snubbed by falsified service recrods before and its easy to do. You can find people selling stamps on ebay. Shameful it really is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thekilt For This Useful Post: