Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Who can replace V40 Starter motor in West Yorkshire?

Views : 1482

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2018, 22:18   #1
MuscleFlex

Default Who can replace V40 Starter motor in West Yorkshire?

Hi all,
I think my starter motor in my 2003 V40 needs replacing... most of the time the motor just whirrs and it won't actually start.
Unfortunately I tried to video it but everytime I have the camera, it starts... but when I actually use the car and go somewhere, next time I start it, it won't start so I'm scared to use it in fear of getting stuck away from home.

So I was wondering if anyone that's an expert on my car live in West Yorkshire Leeds and can change the starter motor plus labor? I'll order the starter motor.

We are about to complete on a house purchase so I'm trying to save some money instead of going to a garage that might charge me hundreds..

Much appreciated.
The battery is new and was bought early this year. I did have some corrosion that possibly could have caused it but I have since cleaned the corrosion but the problem is still here....
MuscleFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 23:06   #2
Dippydog
Premier Member

Not an expert on these cars.In fact I've never seen under the bonnet of one! Is the starter easily visible or is there a lot of other stuff that needs removing before you can get at it?I know on my P1 V70 the starter can be easily got at to remove it as I've done that.Be aware though[if you aren't already]that the battery will need disconnecting so you'll need radio code at least for after the job has been done.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 23:52   #3
magnuz
Ancient

If it's the volvo engine ??, it's quite a straightforward job, so should not be more than 1 hours labour charge !
I'm not familiar with the GDI petrol or renault diesel engine, so don't know about those ?

Last edited by magnuz; Nov 6th, 2018 at 23:54.
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to magnuz For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 08:24   #4
canis
Non Fragile

Urgh, it does mean removing the inlet manifold though. Working remotely on someone else's drive or outside their house is always a nightmare - never know which tools to take with and end up looking an idiot.

I'd do it if you drive it down to me.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 22:00   #5
aldred309uk

Probably a bit far but there's a place in Blackburn which recondition starter motors and alternators. I got my alternator on my saxo reconditioned for £35 in a couple of hours. I don't know how tight funds are but my alternator looks brand new.

Ellison Auto Electrics
Forrest St, Blackburn BB1 3BB
01254 265988
https://goo.gl/maps/GRTK9NfgLvS2

Disregard if not helpful.
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 22:14   #6
MuscleFlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldred309uk View Post
Probably a bit far but there's a place in Blackburn which recondition starter motors and alternators. I got my alternator on my saxo reconditioned for £35 in a couple of hours. I don't know how tight funds are but my alternator looks brand new.

Ellison Auto Electrics
Forrest St, Blackburn BB1 3BB
01254 265988
https://goo.gl/maps/GRTK9NfgLvS2

Disregard if not helpful.
I think I saw the starter motor for sale brand new for around £50... so that's not bad for me... I just worry about what the garage will charge in labour so thought I'd ask in here first...
The Following User Says Thank You to MuscleFlex For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 22:15   #7
MuscleFlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Urgh, it does mean removing the inlet manifold though. Working remotely on someone else's drive or outside their house is always a nightmare - never know which tools to take with and end up looking an idiot.

I'd do it if you drive it down to me.
Thank you... I might take you up on your offer...
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 22:16   #8
MuscleFlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Not an expert on these cars.In fact I've never seen under the bonnet of one! Is the starter easily visible or is there a lot of other stuff that needs removing before you can get at it?I know on my P1 V70 the starter can be easily got at to remove it as I've done that.Be aware though[if you aren't already]that the battery will need disconnecting so you'll need radio code at least for after the job has been done.
There's something blocking the starter motor from the top I think...
I have the radio code. I wrote it on top of the radio case :P
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 22:34   #9
MuscleFlex

Here's a video I shot tonight. The car started but you can hear the whirring sound for half a second before it actually started. Most times, when I'm away from home, all I get is the whirring sound. So I'm scared of using the car... let alone take it to the gas station in case it won't start after I switch the engine off!
https://youtu.be/k4wtOwJVI3U
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 16:47   #10
magnuz
Ancient

What engine is in your car ?
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote