Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre woes

Views : 2240

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 13:48   #21
Generallee

Gosh, they aren't old to have cracks in.
Result, got a full refund through Paypal who give 180 days warranty... now what to do with 4 virtually brand new 'dry day' tyres...... skip 'em
Generallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 14:38   #22
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe H View Post
This is the cracking that the fitter pointed out on my Goodyears which made me post the question above. Fitted early 2016, manufactured 4415, never abused and always correct pressure. It's not obvious until you get your nose down close.
Joe
Looking at your photograph, the colour of the tyre doesn't look quite right, it looks as though the colour has been drained almost as though it has been "dried out" - I'm just wondering whether it has been exposed to an oil/diesel spill or perhaps excessive heat in some way.

The last time I had a tyre that looked like yours was an old Fisk cross ply tyre that had sat in the boot of a mini for years and was so heat cracked it was brittle!

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Nov 3rd, 2018 at 14:43.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 09:35   #23
Joe H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
Looking at your photograph, the colour of the tyre doesn't look quite right, it looks as though the colour has been drained almost as though it has been "dried out" - I'm just wondering whether it has been exposed to an oil/diesel spill or perhaps excessive heat in some way.
No, the colour is just washed out by the flash, it looks normal in daylight.
I am going to send the photo to Goodyear for their comment if I can find a suitable email address.
Cheers
Joe
Joe H is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe H For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 15:08   #24
Joe H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe H View Post
N
I am going to send the photo to Goodyear for their comment if I can find a suitable email address.
Well, credit for a super fast response to my email:
---------------
Our passenger tyres are warranted for 5 years from date of manufacture .
The warranty covers manufacturing and materials but not accidental damage to the tyre, natural wear etc caused during use.
To arrange for a warranty examination please ask the tyre retailer or vehicle dealer who supplied the tyre to arrange the return to us.
....more stuff then........
For further information on returns and the industry standard please see
http://www.btmauk.com/wp-content/upl...nt-process.pdf
-----------------

And that last link does seem to be the industry advice on dealing with defective tyres, so may be of use to others.
Joe
Joe H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 15:48   #25
Cookeh
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuartm1962 View Post
Agree with XCO, all weather tyres are the best option. You are covered in any conditions. I think that fitting cheap tyres is false economy, when you consider the trade off of safety over £20 per tyre saved.

https://www.overlandexpress.co.uk/courier-for-alloys
Covered in any conditions, but also compromised in all of them. All seasons do not perform well anywhere. Comparison review with a range of winter tyreshere. That particular review, which is far from cherry picked, also highlights that several dedicated winter tyres also out perform the all seasons in dry and wet conditions...

Even the supposed 'best' all season tyre, the CrossClimate Plus is out performed by mid-range tyres which are £40 per tyre cheaper than it. For the money you save you could buy two sets of mid-range tyres (winter set and summer set), whilst remaining covered for all seasons with actual decent performance. Scratch that, a dedicated winter tyre, which actually places top 3 or wins most of the recent tyre tests such as a Hankook Winter I'cept RS2 is half the price of the CrossClimate and far superior.

There's a reason countries with true seasons (Germany, Sweden, Russia etc) have laws for winter tyres in winter, which exclude all seasons.
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 17:28   #26
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookeh View Post
Covered in any conditions, but also compromised in all of them. All seasons do not perform well anywhere. Comparison review with a range of winter tyreshere. That particular review, which is far from cherry picked, also highlights that several dedicated winter tyres also out perform the all seasons in dry and wet conditions...

Even the supposed 'best' all season tyre, the CrossClimate Plus is out performed by mid-range tyres which are £40 per tyre cheaper than it. For the money you save you could buy two sets of mid-range tyres (winter set and summer set), whilst remaining covered for all seasons with actual decent performance. Scratch that, a dedicated winter tyre, which actually places top 3 or wins most of the recent tyre tests such as a Hankook Winter I'cept RS2 is half the price of the CrossClimate and far superior.

There's a reason countries with true seasons (Germany, Sweden, Russia etc) have laws for winter tyres in winter, which exclude all seasons.
Firstly Germany, Sweden and Russia I understand do permit michelin criss climates I understand, do you have anything to show they don’t (I don’t mind accepting if I am wrong).

Secondly cross climates have outperformed some summer tyres if you review it.

There are some truly outstanding all seasons and I say this as someone who untill the last couple of years ran seperate winter and summers.

Michelin cross climates, Goodyear vector 4 seasons and all weather uhp.

For each bad review I hazard you will find at least 2 good ones.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 17:47   #27
Clogs
Clogs

Default Winter tyres

The lauding of Michelin cross climate tyres which are supposedly good for summer and winter use (by Honest John for example) seems to be more a reflexion of folk discovering how useless summer tyres are when there is snow and frost about after they have tried better tyres suited to winter.

People bang on about needing a 4x4 for winter slippery conditions, when most people in Austria, Switzerland, Sweden etc don't need 4x4s as winter tyres stop on snow and ice as well as summer tyres in the summer on a wet road. You only need 4x4s on steep uneven dirt tracks. If you can use the roads in summer with summer tyres, then you can use the same road in winter with winter tyres.

I see Michelin Crossclimate tyres are not legal for winter use in Estonia, Finland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway or Sweden. OK in other countries in central Europe.

I have Vredestein Wintrac on steel wheels for the winter as I go to Germany Switzerland Austria and Northern Italy (perhaps France Mont Blanc tunnel where you would need them) and I use them in the UK most of the winter.

They are an eye opener if you've never had them: go down a steep slope with black ice or compacted snow where there is usually a T junction at the bottom of the hill...and you can confidently just stop without any sliding about or fearing you'll career into the traffic at the bottom of the road. In reverse everyone on summer tyres will be unable to get up the hill without slipping and sliding, and will just not be able to proceed without being pushed - with winter tyres you just sail up as if the ice or snow isn't there.

I've not tried cross climates, so I cannot comment, but obviously in colder climates they aren't deemed sufficiently safe.
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 18:20   #28
Cookeh
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Firstly Germany, Sweden and Russia I understand do permit michelin criss climates I understand, do you have anything to show they don’t (I don’t mind accepting if I am wrong).
They all state dedicated winter tyres with the M&S rating. I apologise as it seems some countries changed the law to permit certain winter tyres (wonder why Germany would change German laws for German tyre companies?). Sweden (along with the other Scandinavian states) do still require M&S rated tyres, which some all seasons are do not have - all seasons are a huge grey area but generally not allowed. Russia and most Eastern Bloc countries state winter tyre in their law and do not appear to permit all seasons.

Quote:
Secondly cross climates have outperformed some summer tyres if you review it.
Yet to see a single review at all comparing premium v premium tyres (or even mid-range) in which the cross climates out perform anything in either winter or summer. Please do quote some reviews, I'm happy to change my mind as the convenience is obviously appealing.

Quote:
There are some truly outstanding all seasons and I say this as someone who until the last couple of years ran seperate winter and summers.

Michelin cross climates, Goodyear vector 4 seasons and all weather uhp.
We dont get conditions in this country that will highlight the performance advantages of dedicated winter tyres over all seasons or even summers. I have never bothered with winter tyres and never had issues. Winter here means a bit of rain and damp, not ice and frequent 15-20cm snowfalls.

I can tell you from experience (Swedish partner, many winter seasons spent there) that Swedes do not waste time or money on all seasons - interpret that as you may.

Quote:
For each bad review I hazard you will find at least 2 good ones.
Nonsense again, yet to see a single review in which they are regarded as better than summer tyres in summer conditions or better than winters in proper winter conditions. I just gave you a link from ADAC (not many better review boards) showing that even winter tyres are out-performing them in wet and dry conditions.

Here is another review where they are out-performed in all conditions, even by tyres more than half the price. And I'm not cherry picking these, these are the first reviews you come across on tyrereviews.co.uk for CrossClimate and CrossClimate+.

Here is yet another real world example.

Is it possible that they are better than some winter tyres in the dry? Obviously.
Is it possible they are better than some winter tyres in the wet? Obviously.
Do they actually out perform similarly premium tyres in all conditions (wet/dry handling and braking in summer, snow braking and handling in winter)? No, not from the reviews or testing I've seen. Which leads me back to my original point. They will cope okay with everything but are inherently compromised relative to even mid-range dedicated summer and winter tyres, which incidentally would cost about the same and have better wear rates.
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 13:35   #29
Clogs
Clogs

Default Michelin Cross climates not allowed in Norway or Sweden

This information comes from Michelin's website

https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/lea...re-regulations
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 19:22   #30
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogs View Post
This information comes from Michelin's website

https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/lea...re-regulations
All I know is that the Crossclimates are much quieter than any other tyre I've used in the last 50 years; grip in the dry is not far short of that of slicks and significantly better than any other non-studded tyre I've ever used in snow and ice - I was caused to drive through deep & compacted snow/ice repeatedly with nothing more than Town & Countries in the late 60's (the tread had a deep repeating "VV"tractor pattern which shook the Sh1t out of a mini) - IMHO the Michelin CrossClimates' are not far short of chained tyres without the attendant tread/wall damage, whilst still short of the spiked ice tyres that used to be available in more northern climes, for UK winter and all year round use they take some beating.

It also worth considering that they are available in speed ratings commensurate with the OE Volvo spec for the entire range. Insurance Co's can be iffy re winter tyres being below the speed spec for a vehicle + also worth noting that that they have a much reduced tendency to aquaplane at speed over surface water.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote