Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 auction values

Views : 378

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 6th, 2019, 11:08   #1
Triple-S
How Old?

Default 240 auction values

Whilst idly scrawling through fleabay in order I get a valuation for my 244 I see there are no less than 7 in the classic-cars section, three being estates. However, what a range of valuations, from £1700 to a staggering £10,200. I am wondering if in fact any ever sell at this time of year at those values, as although these cars are good solid tanks, this time of year most people are bordering on skint! Surely only serious collectors of the rare and exotic, or those wanting donor-cars for theirs are able to spend big in the middle of winter, or am I wrong?
I would have thought that good used parts will move whatever the season, so people can finish their project, but a frankly over-priced "ordinary" car? I understand the P1800ES on the 'bay now, but a 240 auto saloon - surely not. I have been offered such for just a couple of hundred pounds, so are those ebayers dreamers or am I out of touch?

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 12:03   #2
mentepazza

Our 240’s have got a cool status, now appreciating classic.
They are appreciated in the low band price, the higher band gives you acces to a large variety of classic cars. Unless it’s an immaculate example with full history and one previous owner I doubt anyone would pay more than 5k.
There is an estate for sale at 8k on eBay. It has been there since the last spring.
For my experience in 2018 I’d say:
Less the 1000 pounds: rusty, no history, starts and run.
1500: as above but serviced and recent history available. Interior in good order.
1500-2000: rusty surface underneath, minor scratches and no rust on the body and engine bay. Interior in good order everything working as it should.serviced and proof of service available.
2000-2500: no rust underneath and body with no scratches. Good interior, everything working, service history available.
Over 2500: depending on the car and what is the History behind. I wold definitely pay much more if the car is in excellent condition and it has got full evidence of proper maintenance. I recently got one for a friend with extensive work carried on: no rust underneath, full respray, leather interior, air con, new tyres, new disk and pads, all the bushes done, new rods and suspensions, new exhaust. New inlet manifold and injectors. Cambelt and waterpump done, engine and tranny mounts done, serviced and rear diff and tranny oil replaced, new clutch. Paid 4300. Which makes it 2500+parts and labour.
I wouldn’t pay more than 2500 for a good example in 2019. Additional 2k to mechanically restore it it’s what you need if you want a good usable 240.
Anything related to rusty body and undercarriage and bodywork will definitely kill the price.
mentepazza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mentepazza For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 07:11   #3
DW42

240s are definitely hipster cars now. So 240 values may reflect what hipsters are able and willing to pay. New cars are also looking increasingly unlike a 240 -- new car designs are all blobby and bloated. And not even cool blobby like a Fiat Multipla.

The old car that I think is most nuts in terms of prices now is the VW Type 2 camper (to 1979). Here in Oz a reasonable runner will set you back the equivalent of at least 10,000 pounds, and a good one more like 20K. Back in the late 1980s when I was travelling in the US in a 1970 VW camper, I happened to meet someone doing the same thing in a late 70s Chevy van with a mattress and cushions thrown in the back. For all it's pretty woodwork and clever cubby holes, my VW Westfalia was such a piece of crap compared with that Chevy in just about every practical way! (like noise and ability to go uphill).

My minty 240 estate will likely never be worth 20K adjusting for inflation.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 10:20   #4
Triple-S
How Old?

DW42 - agree re modern car appearance: probably all designed using the same wind tunnel, and of course the more stringent regs nowadays.
I too used to have VW camper-vans, the first was a '71 which took us (eventually!) right round Scandinavia, but even with a rebuilt engine was so sluggish on main roads. I graduated to a '79 with its 2 litre engine and twin carbs, but not a lot more potent even though it was so thirsty (auto choke). I trebled its indicated mileage before selling it for 50% more than I bought it for - but wish I hadn't as they are worth many thousands here now too. My local garage has a '72 model up for sale at £21k...A camper from new, mine had a decent interior but in winter I barely got 18mpg out of it and it was still overtaken by milkfloats on Germany's autobahns!
Still, I had to graduate to Volvo's somehow......

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote