Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Time For Regular Service/Huge Outlay

Views : 2008

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2019, 22:26   #11
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

giw12 - the gearbox oil should be replaced roughly every 60K otherwise you risk the solenoids in the valve body sticking and giving problems. I guess you will not be at this mileage since the rebuild yet but if you plan to keep the car a few more years I would bear this in mind.
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 11:13   #12
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giw12 View Post
Hi

The calipers were for 2 replaced separately as they started binding a few months apart. Suspension parts I fear may be the next big bill as the rear is starting to sag a little on one side.

I am using an Indy for all the work but I don’t have the time to shop around unfortunately (plus, not many to choose from in my part of the world). My nearest main dealer charges £150+vat per hour for all non-service work so I think that would be a big number very quickly. Also, I’d imagine they would be in uncharted waters as they must see very few of that age and mileage.

Would be good to hear some numbers from other owners with similar age vehicles.

Regards

It seems indeed you don't have alternatives but to go to that specific place.. again, good to keep in mind that some garages are a little bit too enthusiastic replacing parts and handling meaty bills.. Many Volvo dealers work the same way on older cars, at the slightest wear they go replacing a part that would otherwise still work for several more years. But sometimes we have no choice..

I haven't even commented on the rather unusual transmission rebuild, perhaps it was an issue with the AWD?

I may get flames for recommending this - but I like the realistic and practical part of things. At these miles, the car will only keep requiring repairs, so the bills won't get lighter. If it was mine, I would rather look for a replacement car, perhaps not something european given the choices of garages nearby. Myself I drive a 2003 S60 with 130k miles and intend to keep it for more years to come, but I do my own repairs (as several members on this forum) as this is about the only wallet friendly way to keep these vehicles running with high miles.
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 11:29   #13
giw12

Hi

There is another option which I'll maybe try this time.

The transmission rebuild also included a new torque convertor and transfer box.

I do get that the bills will keep on coming but I can possibly take comfort in the fact that I can't be suffering much in the way of depreciation.

Trouble with another car is that it would have to be an XC90, so I could splash out on an 8 or 9 year old one, and it could be a gem or I could just go down the same path all over again.

Plus it's got integrated DVD, integrated phone, towbar etc, so maybe I'm convincing myself to hang on in there!
giw12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 11:41   #14
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giw12 View Post
Hi

There is another option which I'll maybe try this time.

The transmission rebuild also included a new torque convertor and transfer box.

I do get that the bills will keep on coming but I can possibly take comfort in the fact that I can't be suffering much in the way of depreciation.

Trouble with another car is that it would have to be an XC90, so I could splash out on an 8 or 9 year old one, and it could be a gem or I could just go down the same path all over again.

Plus it's got integrated DVD, integrated phone, towbar etc, so maybe I'm convincing myself to hang on in there!

I would definitely keep it long term.

You have replaced many of the parts that wear out with mileage so in essence have a well sorted car that you KNOW !!!!

Find a cheaper , honest, reliable alternative for your servicing and you have it cracked.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 13:34   #15
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

I am planning to do the same i.e. keep the car for the long term; primary reason is like most of us here I really like the car but also it is making a huge saving to the planet simply by not replacing it - just think of all the batteries I am saving!!
The Following User Says Thank You to XJSDriver For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 14:43   #16
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

My '03 with 175k just sailed through another MOT this morning, just one advisory which was the windscreen (the middle laminate is going milky at the edges). Emissions hardly registered.

But according to Radio 4 this week - the biggest source of particulate pollution in cities now is wood burning stoves and open fires?

Whatever next....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 17:07   #17
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

I must confess is no surprise as we love our coal fire but have always followed local legislation and burn expensive smokeless fuel, yet neighbours can use log burners?? Another reason to move to the country I guess
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 23:44   #18
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Move up the road to Didcot - you'll be OK with wood pellets there...

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 11:27   #19
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
My '03 with 175k just sailed through another MOT this morning, just one advisory which was the windscreen (the middle laminate is going milky at the edges). Emissions hardly registered.

But according to Radio 4 this week - the biggest source of particulate pollution in cities now is wood burning stoves and open fires?

Whatever next....
Just to clarify - 175k mile 2003 E3 XC90 (i.e. no DPF), entirely original engine, no major components replaced. The tester left it ticking over about 20 mins as he inspected it and then did the fast acceleration opacity test without running the car at 3k rpm for 30 seconds or whatever as is recommended to clear the exhaust. It still returned a reading 0.18 against a limit of 1.50. Last year my '08 XC70 with 85k did 0.05.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 21:20   #20
gmonag
Premier Member

Got to love the 163hp D5!