Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Geartronic 5 or 6 ?

Views : 2317

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 16:22   #1
avtur1

The XC90 is on my short list for a new vehicle. Hoping to arrange a weekend test drive in the near future. I've heard (or maybe mis-heard) that the Geartronic box has been available as a 5 & 6 speed. I've also read some less that complimentary road test of cars with the 5 speed, so what are the differences between the two boxes, is the 6 just a 5+1 or is there more to it? Also when in top gear does the torque converter 'lock up' to give direct drive?
Also there have been one or two posts in the past about the manual transmission and fuel consumption benefits, just wondering if there are any more recent comments on the subject. If I go for the XC90 it will be a D5 but not sure about man/auto, I would much prefer auto but I'm a little hesitant because of the fuel consumption. My current car is a Mazda 6 diesel, which as given me 43 mpg over the past 50+K miles so I know I could be in for a bit of a shock. The Mazda has also been 100% reliable, I get the impression a Volvo might not quite live up to this. Has anyone managed 60k miles on 30 months without any problems?
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 18:48   #2
general_joe

If you're worried about fuel consumption why are you even looking at an XC90?
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 22:20   #3
pj41

I have had an XC90 D5 auto (2005 '54' plate) for a couple of months now and get an average of around 30 mpg. This is a mixture of m-way and local miles. The auto box takes a bit of getting used to and you do need to be aware of the pick-up time and speed of the mark, but all in, it is a delight to drive and in a different league to the alternative 7-seaters we looked at (Mazda 5, VW Touran, Zafira, Corolla Verso etc.). The mpg is also offset to a degree by the good residuals.

I would suggest you go for the power steering option if you can as this really improves the low speed maneouvering.

Good luck.
pj41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 08:29   #4
perussell

I believe (but I could be wrong!) that you will find the 5 speed box attached to a 163bhp engine and a 6 speed to the newer 185bhp engine so the differences in road tests etc are probably as much down to the engine as the gearbox.
I have 27000 miles in 20 months on a 163bhp Geartronic (5 speed) and have had no mechanical problems with the vehicle.
the only thing you need to be cautious of is the slow pick up from a standing start which has been the subject of numerous comments elsewhere in this forum.
Once on the move the vehicle is fine. My driving is primarily M-way (at the relevant speeds) at which my car returns 30-32 mpg. Around town this can drop to 22-25mpg.
perussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:23   #5
Genghis
Genghis

Totally agree with pj41 comments (I also have a 2005 XC) - I've only had my car for a few months and the reason we went for it was that it was the best 7 seater we could find - and also the nicest looking one - lastly quite a few of the models we liked did not do a Diesel.

We knew before buying the car that fuel economy would not be great and also they have big tanks so when you fill up from empty it does take the breath away! - as a result I have starting using www.petrolprices.com so don't buy the car and hope for good fuel economy.

Have had zero problems with the vehicle and have the geattronic box - like other users you do have to be aware of the occassional low pickup speed which is pretty frustrating at times as it is inconsistent (i.e. sometimes it's fine other times it's pulls away very slowly)

You will most definately get a shock if you switch to an XC90 compared to your current Mazda.

If you put the mpg to one side - I really do like the XC90 - it's a very comfortable drive and I like the driving position. I would still make the same choice of car again despite the fact that when I filled up at Tesco's the other day it cutme off at £60.00 and the car wasn't totally full......
Genghis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 09:04   #6
patl

Done 5000 miles in my D5 (183) Geartronic. No pickup problems, 6 speed gearbox is very smooth (difficult to know when it changes). Averaging 26mpg around town, just over 30mpg on cross country runs. Manual may get more mpg, but would probably be worth less in the long run as most people like autos on luxury 4x4s.
patl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 10:55   #7
seany
Not So Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj41
I have had an XC90 D5 auto (2005 '54' plate) for a couple of months now and get an average of around 30 mpg. This is a mixture of m-way and local miles. The auto box takes a bit of getting used to and you do need to be aware of the pick-up time and speed of the mark, but all in, it is a delight to drive and in a different league to the alternative 7-seaters we looked at (Mazda 5, VW Touran, Zafira, Corolla Verso etc.). The mpg is also offset to a degree by the good residuals.

I would suggest you go for the power steering option if you can as this really improves the low speed maneouvering.

Good luck.
Power steering isn't standard???

5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions.
seany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 10:58   #8
seany
Not So Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis
If you put the mpg to one side - I really do like the XC90 - it's a very comfortable drive and I like the driving position. I would still make the same choice of car again despite the fact that when I filled up at Tesco's the other day it cutme off at £60.00 and the car wasn't totally full......

Were you using one of those automated pumps, where you put your credit/debit card in, then dispense??

They often cut out at £50 - £60

5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions.
seany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 13:35   #9
pj41

Apologies for any confusion caused ....

Power steering is standard on all XC90 variants - the option is an upgrade to make it speed sensitive.
pj41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 00:49   #10
yeoman
Master Member

If you decide to buy the XC90( I have a 2005 model,163bhp),chipping the engine will improve economy(marginally I must say...mine went up from 29.8 to 32.2 approx(on the combined cycle).
May I say that good as the mazda is,you will not buy another one after driving the XC90!
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote