Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlights Gone

Views : 1870

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 25th, 2012, 00:12   #11
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
Have you tried the fuses? I know it sounds too easy, but tried them? Iirc there were two fuses: 1x low 1x high
If you have not yet solved the fault i secound the fuse comment, cheaper fuses will not blow out but instead can partily melt so they still look okay and will check okay on a meter but will not allow the voltage through.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 21:15   #12
RealEstate
Master Member

Default No low beams

Yes I've tried swapping the fuses around to no effect, but maybe I should try some new ones.

I've cleaned the earths near the headlights.

Also cleaned all the fuses & sockets.

Also cleaned some of the relays and their sockets, but couldn't shift the circular bulb failure relay.

Any help appreciated.
RealEstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 09:14   #13
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

The fact you can't get the faliure relay out is a bit suspicious. Can you see from underneath what state the wiring terminals are in ?

I wonder if the bulb faliure feature can be done away with. Like a lot of things it's useful but just complicates the wiring.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve940estate For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 11:45   #14
RealEstate
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve940estate View Post
The fact you can't get the faliure relay out is a bit suspicious. Can you see from underneath what state the wiring terminals are in ?

I wonder if the bulb faliure feature can be done away with. Like a lot of things it's useful but just complicates the wiring.
+1 to both!

The bulb failure relay is hard to get at, unless I remove the radio or pull the whole fuse board into the cabin, something I don't enjoy doing.

Are we sure that the bulb failure relay could cause the low beams (or indeed the high beams) not to work?
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 22:53   #15
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

I can't help any more really. Unless someone has any better ideas the only way you will sort it out is to trace where the problem is. If you can rule out individual components it must be a broken wire of bad connection somewhere. I think it must be before the fuse box as it affects both lights. If it isn't the light switch itself then go looking at the relays and connections on the fuse box.
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 07:33   #16
RealEstate
Master Member

Default UK DRL Relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve940estate View Post
Should you have dimmed dipped headlamps with the ignition on ? My UK spec car has an ignition controlled relay which is situated above the ECU. Not sure if LHD cars are the same (assuming yours is), it might be the other side.
If there is a fault with the relay it could cause a problem. Disconnecting it will mean the headlamps only come on using the switch.
Steve,

Can you confirm that your car is a '91 GLE? If so it's the same as mine!

Is this relay^ (for the day time running lights?) under the driver's side kickpanel, or by the steering column, ie above which ECU?

Thanks for your help
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 14:41   #17
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

My car is a 94, I think the wiring was the same until 95.

The relay is fitted on the a panel (same as the Injection ecu ) but higher up above the bonnet release lever.

Someone took a good picture of it and put it on here, worth searching.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 22:43   #18
RealEstate
Master Member

Default Low beams working!

Took my car to Castle (Castell) Garage Harlech, where Aled Griffiths found the problem in minutes - yes it was the infamous Bulb Failure Relay!

But not the relay itself, it was significant burning of the sockets under the 'fuse' box into which the relay fits. Mr Griffiths repaired my fuse box making new sockets. Whilst he was in there, he cleaned and greased every socket and pin for all the others relays, ie a complete service of the fuse box - that's service!

Mr Griffiths loves tracking down those nasty electrical problems, not just on Volvos but other makes too. The man is a wizard!!

The moral of this story - don't let your car sit around unused in the winter damp. Do service your fuse box every winter, cleaning and greasing all those pins.

Last edited by RealEstate; Jan 23rd, 2013 at 23:28.

Tags
dimmer switch, headlight, relays