Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 sudden power power loss

Views : 19274

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2008, 11:30   #21
Bernard333
Premier Member

Have just covered approx 1000 mile journey over the past few days and the limp home mode is now kicking in with the slightest acceleration , it can still be avoided by driving very carefully but at one point the car could not even get up a hill without stopping and restarting . The 70% problem is now resolved by fixing the cross feed pipes in the fuel tank and the Denso fuel pump is working fine . PeteVolvo advised that the main mechanical fuel pump could be faulty and I think the evidence is there , when I changed the fuel filter there were very small metalic particles in the sludge at the bottom of the plastic housing , that was maybe 10k miles ago and the power loss problem started about 35 to 40k miles ago and has got progessively worse to the situation today that I will only make local journeys in case the car breaks down completely so its time to spend some money . What I dont understand is how a mechanical fuel pump can fail in this mode over a long period gradually getting worse as you would expect but when you switch the engine off and restart then it could go another 30 miles without the same thing happening surely mechanical wear or damage to a pump cant reset itself ? I will be looking for a second hand unit on ebay or from a scrapyard .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 16:46   #22
Niknak_Anatine

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimon340 View Post
hi

try calling my friend Howard on 0161 707 9224. He is a Volvo expert and also works for Bosch.

If you are travelling to Liverpool maybe call in and see him. He's in Manchester so thats just down the M62 from where you are. He has the latest Bosch diagnostic kit too.

He had an S80 recently which keppt cutting out too. I think he changed the low pressure tank pump...

when you speak to him tell him Shimon recommended him via the Volvo club

keep us posted with the updates!
Shimon340 - may I also contact your friend Howard? I have the same kind of problem with a V70D5. Regards, NikNak.
Niknak_Anatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 21:31   #23
rocky

OK, I am going to jump on the band wagon here. I have an 03, D5 V70 and it also has become increasingly bad at loosing power / limp mode on any acceleration, agressive or other wise. (Sometimes very white smoke and pleanty of it)

A switch off / start up resolves the issue until the next time you go to pass anything or come to a hill....living in the sperrins isnt the best place to be with a car that doesnt like hills!

I am also in N Ireland and the number of volvo dealers here is limited. My V70 has been with volvo for several weeks now and they have eventually stated that the problem is being caused by the catalytic converter... they are to replace this tomorrow and I should get her back then...

Will post reply to advice if this fixes the problem. I would be interested to speak with bernard if that is possible, to see how his issues was resolved...
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 20:37   #24
rocky

Hi there I got my car back from Volvo last Tuesday evening and so far so good. It looks like changeing the Cat has fixed the problem I was having, I have piles of power adn piles of confdence to accelerate now....much more than I have had for the last 6 months!! Hopefully it will remain that way...
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 15:28   #25
Bernard333
Premier Member

Default MAF ruled out

Rocky , further to our phone discussion I still have not ruled out the cat being the problem on my car . The weather here is now warm enough to work on the car outside and have not done many miles over the past 5 weeks due to the problem . Today I wanted to rule out the MAF so disconnected it a went for a drive about 5 miles , no MAF made not much difference to starting ability and on tick over the engine not noticeably different , revving the engine out of gear seemed ok and smooth enough easily going up to 4000 a couple of times , car then drove smoothly on the test run but power was noticeably down by about more than 50% but still the engine and acceleration smooth , the ' engine system service urgent' message came up I assume due to the disconnected MAF but the engine would not go into limp mode by hard acceleration . I reconnected the MAF and went for another test drive of another 5 miles up some hills and with hard acceleration no matter what I did could not get the car to go into limp mode which had been happening previously with the slightest acceleration , the 'engine system service urgent ' went out on reconnecting the MAF , I am now ruling out the MAF being faulty but am more baffled than ever about whats going on with the car because I wouldnt expect a faulty mechanical part or a sensor to fix itself so am now thinking an electrical connection somewhere is intermittant . So far I have now ruled out MAF / Turbo / injectors / Fuel injection pump / in tank fuel pump / replaced fuel and air filters , the intercooler is not split and the hoses look ok and cant hear or feel any air leaks . Can the front O2 sensor cause this kind of problem but then it wouldnt be intermittant ? One thing I dont know if its normal , even with engine warmed up there is a fair amount of what looks like steam comes out the oil filler cap when you remove it with engine running , its dosnt smell like smoke and it isnt using coolant . Engine codes now checked twice and no codes stored . The car was that bad before christmas that I was going to buy a run around from the auction but I wonder if I can trust it on a long journey , missed the ferry last time due to limp mode and did the best part of 200 miles at 40mph with some frequent complete stops , wouldnt go up Glenshane pass and couldnt get up the hill out of Ballantrae without stopping and restarting and then going at 20mph but now its all ok , very strange .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 12:13   #26
Niknak_Anatine

As previous metioned I have had the same problem as far as the engine cut out is concerned. It was independent of fuel level, acceleration or cruising, speed, weather conditions etc., and after three visits to Volvo there was still no diagnose or solution. They then made a request to Volvo HQ and received Volvo technicaL journal No 8616, which involves partly removing the fuse box to gain access to the wiring loom and pins. They found one pin badly marked due to arching. They made this good and rerouted the wiring in accordance with TJ 8616, and rebuilt the fuse area. It was about 1 1/2 hours work and required no spares. And the best is that the problem is solved and the car drives beautifully now.
Niknak_Anatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 19:43   #27
Godknows

Default Sudden Power Loss...

Hi all,

Driving along a main road and went to overtake, suddenly, loss of power, down to 2500 revs, then 1500 revs, then engine cut out! Managed to pull onto grass verge and miss all traffic thank god. Message on bottom left screen reads, warning engine service urgent! Called RAC he came out 45 mins later, attempted to start engine by spraying some stuff into the big black pipe as I turned the engine, no joy, cranking but no start! He (RAC Guy) suggested that might be the injectors at fault, he towed me home and was ner the end of his shift, so didn't want to plug his computer in to find fault. I left car till morning and borrowed a friends code reader. Fault code: P - 0193 Fuel Pressure Sensor detecting small fuel leak high input as well.

I have cracked the fuel lines and turned engine over and diesel going to top of injectors, above that, I haven't done anything else. Can anyone suggest causes before I call the local dealer, I don't want to be stung by them, have bad rep! Is the injectors prone to failure, my car is a 2002 V60 D5 by the way.....

Thanks in anticipation,

Cheers.
Godknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 21:06   #28
Laney760
VOC Member

Don't let the RAC spray Easystart into your engine ever again. The RAC seem to use this on people's cars a lot lately. It will eventually wreck your engine. Somebody on the net is trying to get compensation out of them for this

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 09:44   #29
hobbyhorse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godknows View Post
Hi all,

Driving along a main road and went to overtake, suddenly, loss of power, down to 2500 revs, then 1500 revs, then engine cut out! Managed to pull onto grass verge and miss all traffic thank god. Message on bottom left screen reads, warning engine service urgent! Called RAC he came out 45 mins later, attempted to start engine by spraying some stuff into the big black pipe as I turned the engine, no joy, cranking but no start! He (RAC Guy) suggested that might be the injectors at fault, he towed me home and was ner the end of his shift, so didn't want to plug his computer in to find fault. I left car till morning and borrowed a friends code reader. Fault code: P - 0193 Fuel Pressure Sensor detecting small fuel leak high input as well.

I have cracked the fuel lines and turned engine over and diesel going to top of injectors, above that, I haven't done anything else. Can anyone suggest causes before I call the local dealer, I don't want to be stung by them, have bad rep! Is the injectors prone to failure, my car is a 2002 V60 D5 by the way.....

Thanks in anticipation,

Cheers.
Fuel filters are for sale on ebay at under £30
hobbyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 21:16   #30
Godknows

Angry Suddem power loss...

Hi all,

OK, thanks for the advice on fuel filter! I managed to source one for £16 + vat. The old one was absolutely black, as I cut it in half by the way, guess when you trust a volvo dealer to do a full service you have to mark the filters to mke sure that when you pay for them they actually change them! I checked that their was about 3 gallon or 120 on the digital display on my dash and had a bulb come on and remembered that some of you guys had a problem with the fuel tank and the saddlebag system. I duly found my 20 litre drum and went and got £20 of diesel and poured it in.... VOILA, car fired up after 10 seconds!

Can anyone refer me to a thread or webpage please on the fuel tank pipework reconfiguration please to cure the saddlebag/fuel pump problem. I am extremely worried that I stopped in the outside lane with supposedly 3 gallon in the tank, but, unable to use it! Surely, that problem is worth a recall or a safety notice from volvo?

Last edited by Godknows; Feb 20th, 2009 at 21:20.
Godknows is offline   Reply With Quote