Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Renewing thermostat, coolant draining problem

Views : 994

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2009, 14:48   #1
Laney760
VOC Member

Default Renewing thermostat, coolant draining problem

Although I havent removed the engine under-tray, it does not look like the D24Tic has a drain tap and so I need to remove the lower rad hose to drain the coolant down. Having loosened the jubilee clip I just cannot get the lower rad hose off ( I have a very weak right hand due to old injury) and if I did get it off I'm worried as to if I could get it back on again. So, I am wondering, can I simply remove the rad hose from the thermostat housing and allow the coolant to drain out of there or is this a complete no no? Many thanks

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 15:50   #2
mac2542
Any Volvo will do

If you are only renewing the thermostat it is OK just to undo the hose to the thermostat.

Old Sep 19th, 2009, 16:29   #3
Laney760
VOC Member

Thanks mac2542 but I've also had to admit defeat with the thermostat housing hose as well. Is there a knack to getting these off? I've removed hoses on my Merc camper before without this problem..........

Old Sep 19th, 2009, 16:50   #4
mac2542
Any Volvo will do

Yes I know that problem too well. What I did was insert a screwdriver and lever it most of the way round and then twist the hose off.

Hope this works for you.

Old Sep 19th, 2009, 16:56   #5
Laney760
VOC Member

Thanks, I'll have another go later, a bit demoralised at the moment, did try levering with a screwdriver but there is not much room to manoeuvre. I can only assume this hose has never been off in 21 years.....

Old Oct 14th, 2009, 09:19   #6
Galaxie390

Hi,

I know this problem well! In the past I've used a coat hanger bent at 90 deg and worked it into and around the end of the hose. It takes a while, but you'll get there. It does help to flatten the end inch or so of the coat hanger to act as a blade, plus when you rotate the wire the flattened section has the effect of lifting the hose away from the fitting.

Go easy on if you're pulling and twisting on the radiator fittings as they can be damaged and leak.....oops, voice of experience there! The thermostat fitting isn't so delicate.

If you're stuck re-fitting them, soak the ends of the hose in hot water for a few minutes soften them. Also, a wipe of washing up liquid will help them slip on. Make sure your clamps are done up tight afterwards.

Hope this helps,

Rich
Galaxie390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 12:20   #7
Laney760
VOC Member

Thanks Galaxie, I got them off in the end with sheer brute force, to be honest I had been frightened to use such force before as the hoses are old. Having done that, the job reached a dead end anyway, thread about this in 700/900 technical section, as I was unable to undo the factory fitted torx screws on the thermostat housing, turns out I'm not the first, on my previous D24Tic the garage had had to drill them out as has another member on theirs. In the end a slipped disc and a lack of patience made me put it in the garage, it transpired after fitting the new thermostat and sensor that the car is not overheating, it is the guage on the instrument cluster, ho hum.....