Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 mileage

Views : 2026

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 13:24   #1
tewboss

Default V70 mileage

I'm looking into getting a series 1 V70 and quite a few examples have done 200k plus. Is it worth me buying one of these if it has FSH? If so what would be the top amount you would pay?

Any help would be appreciated.
tewboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 10:28   #2
Bernard333
Premier Member

Which model do you have in mind , I assume from series 1 V70 you mean the Classic model which I think was up to 2000 ? I would not have any concerns myself about buying one with a high mileage , I recently bought a 2001 P2 V70 T5 on 154k miles and its been well looked after having had a new autobox from Volvo fitted by a main dealer , engine mounts , ETM , new tyres, one owner from new . At 200k plus you could be looking at a car that has had similar repairs done which effectively resets the clock for these items and the engine is bullet proof anyway . I would always look at the previous owner as much as the car , there was a 2.4T V70 on sale here recently 2000 or 2001 model , one retired mechanic owner from new and being sold as he was no longer wishing to drive , you couldnt ask for a better person to buy a car from and there are enough of this type of seller around to ignore the ones that may have thrashed the car or have had too many previous owners.
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 13:50   #3
tewboss

Yes it was the classic model I'd been looking at. Specifically the diesels which I thought were Audi sourced (correct me if I'm wrong). Part of the concern was that I had assumed I'd be buying a car at the end of its life, but having looked around here it seems I've been mistaken. My 940 had done 155k before I killed it and I know that had plenty of life left in it.

It seems like most of the early V70s have done high mileage so its a case of convincing myself that 200k isn't high by Volvo standards. Either way I'm looking at one with a full service record.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 14:08   #4
Bernard333
Premier Member

I dont know if the Classic V70 had the same engine but the very first P2 V70s prior to the D5 had the Audi 2.5 diesel engine and I beleive they are very good engines partly because they are not common rail and the injection system not subject to the ultra high pressure you get in a D5 and I wonder if they will eventually last as long as the Audi engine . The P2 V70s with this engine are quite rare , I tried bidding for one on ebay last year and withdrew when it went over £2k . You dont see as many forum posts of problems with these engines although again I suppose that could be because there are so few of them .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard333 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 15:25   #5
tewboss

I'd been looking at the 2k mark but I'm not really a big fan of fleabay. There is one I've got my eye on but the dealer isn't back until Sunday. There are a few about with cloth interiors but I don't think I could downgrade from my 940.

One thing I did find odd is that the same generation Audi A6 with the 2.5 engine is 3 insurance groups higher.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 16:03   #6
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

That'll be because of the Audi badge i would think.
Rossi-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 16:23   #7
tewboss

That could well be. Might be a different generation of engine too.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 16:49   #8
capt jack
VOC Member

Default V70 with intergalactic mileage

I've a V70 Classic 97 model, auto 2.5 10V, at 190,000 miles up, and I would honestly say that the car is running better now than at 50,000 miles.

Things to look for

1. Regular oil changes.
2. If an auto, look at the colour of the fluid. Clearish and reddy-brown is good, black is bad, fresh red would make me suspect someone's just had it flushed and renewed, possibly to hide a problem.
3. All dash warning lights coming on with ignition, going off with engine start, except the service light - mine's been on for over 100,000 miles because I service the car myself and can't turn it off!
4. Everything working properly - electrics and aircon especially.
5. Brakes pulling up evenly, handbrake holding both sides the same
6. No bangs, rumbles, clatters, etc when on the move.
7. Idle sitting steady at 900rpm
8. No play in engine top mount, either that or make sure a new top mount has been fitted. Polybush one is good.
9. Seats comfortable and supportive. Leather is far better than fabric. Off-black is best of all. Seats won't look quite new but should not be knackered.
10. Not too much evidence of abuse in the passenger and load areas
11. Alloy wheels if fitted not too badly damaged, tyres wearing evenly all round.
12. Exhaust secure, especially rear hanger
13. Central locking and alarm all working properly
14. Definite proof of regular cambelt changes, fuel and air filter changes.
15. No rust. V70s only go rusty if bodged.

Audi diesel engine probably best avoided to be honest. Highly complex and difficult to fix, not particularly frugal.

£2k is way too much for a 200K 10 yr old V70 - unless you want to buy mine of course!

Mine has been valued at between £350 and £500 - and it is in superb order, mechanically and structurally, with a brand new MoT and full service history.

Oh yes, make sure the radio works. The double-din space is hard to fill, and genuine Volvo replacements cost more than the car would be worth!

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Sep 23rd, 2009 at 16:52.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 20:21   #9
Gazmo

Bought my v70 P1 with the audi diesel engine with 163000 on the clock had it 2 years now and has clocked up 199000 miles its been for its 2nd MOT under my ownership and passed again with only 1 advisory last year was the same 1 advisory.It had a partial service history when i bought it but i took the chance its had a few minor niggles that ive worked through ,I change the oil and filter every 5000 and the fuel and air filter every 10000 its had 2 droplinks rear pads and the timing belts done, its a touch heavy on the front tyres its on its 3rd set but still on the same rear ones that were on it when bought showing very little wear cant complain about the performance which i think is very good and the economy is 35-50 to the gallon the mechanic that does all the major work on the car (timing belt aircon regass) says hes seen them in the hands of some local taxi drivers with 3-400000 on them dont know how true this is but dont see why i should doubt this.So good luck and i would consider another if i were changing my car today.
Gazmo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gazmo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 15:10   #10
BillB
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Audi diesel engine probably best avoided to be honest. Highly complex and difficult to fix, not particularly frugal.

£2k is way too much for a 200K 10 yr old V70 - unless you want to buy mine of course!
The Audi Diesel is a comparatively simple direct injection engine which will go forever if looked after properly i.e. regular oil and cambelt changes. It most definitely IS frugal e.g. 45-50 mpg, in fact my computer is currently showing 52.

A good diesel car is worth more than a petrol one and a well kept 99 Tdi is worth up to £2k imo. 200k is just run in. Regards.
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BillB For This Useful Post: