Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New 2011 Volvo Specifications

Views : 52137

Replies : 325

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2010, 21:35   #151
Clan
Experienced Member

The D3 is a 2 litre version of the old 175 bhp D5, saying old, its only been around just over a year .
The old 4 cylinder 138 bhp 2 litre diesel as we know it is defunt shortly ( about time too ! ) , to be replaced by a 150 bhp version and a 177 bhp version ...
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 21:46   #152
Daleman
Master Member

Default Don’t leave us in suspenders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejay1 View Post
Apologies for bringing this slightly back on track but having looked at the specs for the new D3 engine and comparing these with the Freelander 2.2 these seem favourable. Also given that the Freelander is a similar weight to the XC60 seemed like a good idea to test one.

I know that the gear ratios are different but I need to set my mind to rest that an engine with 400nm and 160 or so BHP could pull/push the weight of an XC 60. A Freelander was maybe on my list too, not any more.

This weekend I also tested a V70 2.0D as another comparison and was mightly impressed with this one too.

What did you make of the Freelander in comparison to the XC60 then? Don’t leave us in suspenders!
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 22:03   #153
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleman View Post
What did you make of the Freelander in comparison to the XC60 then? Don’t leave us in suspenders!
Taking into account I've only driven the 2.4D Volvo, the Freelander was able to pull me up a steep hill with nothing more than the idle of the engine. I was quite impressed.

The Freelander has a very high, commanding seating position. No where near as comfortable as the XC, overly light power steering with very little feel to he steering. I'm sure that its quite capable offroad but it felt as if I was sitting on the seat rather than IN the XC.

I've now test driven 5 cars in a search for our next vehicle, BMW 5 Series, X1, Volvo V70, Xc60 and the Freelander. Me and my wife have catergorised them in order XC60, V70, BMW 5, X1 then freelander, she had the X1 ahead of the BMW 5.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teejay1 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 10:30   #154
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

I too have looked at the Freelander & I have to say that at my height (6ft 3ins) it is probably the most dangerous car that I have sat in. There is a grab handle above the door that is very hard & knobbly & right next to the side of my head! Why they saved 50p & didn't allow the seat more movement is beyond me.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisE For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 10:34   #155
Daleman
Master Member

Yes I have driven a few things in a quest for my next car too, very tempted with the Audi Q5 .The Santa Fe is not too bad but not as refined or sophisticated as either the XC60 or the Q5 . There would probably fewer niggling faults with the Santa Fe as I still rate the Japanese and Koreans for making reliable electrics something Europe does fall down on a bit .

For value, refinement and of course that lovely shape the Volvo ticks allot of boxes. Interesting that you rate the XC60 above the BMW 5 series. I wonder if that was the very latest 5 series?.

I
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 11:06   #156
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I too have looked at the Freelander & I have to say that at my height (6ft 3ins) it is probably the most dangerous car that I have sat in. There is a grab handle above the door that is very hard & knobbly & right next to the side of my head! Why they saved 50p & didn't allow the seat more movement is beyond me.
I found that I'm only 5' 11, I have a long body and shorter legs so I had to have the seat at its lowest, although with that setup I dont need a powered seat.

The Volvo had the best was the best for comfort, even the R-Design with its supposed slightly stiffer suspension.

Daleman, I think the new engine will be pretty good in the Drive. The Volvos power plateaus and stays for a couple of thousand revs where as the Freelander peaks as 3000 and then drops off rapidly.

I let the Freelander pull me in idle right up to 4th gear!! I tried 5th but that was pushing it ;-)
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 11:09   #157
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleman View Post
Yes I have driven a few things in a quest for my next car too, very tempted with the Audi Q5 .The Santa Fe is not too bad but not as refined or sophisticated as either the XC60 or the Q5 . There would probably fewer niggling faults with the Santa Fe as I still rate the Japanese and Koreans for making reliable electrics something Europe does fall down on a bit .

For value, refinement and of course that lovely shape the Volvo ticks allot of boxes. Interesting that you rate the XC60 above the BMW 5 series. I wonder if that was the very latest 5 series?.

I
No it was the 520D SE. It was fun to drive but a harsher ride, the Volvo felt like I was floatin on oil. Comfort and safety are the most important to me and my good lady.

I only recently found out that after 30mins in our current car she gets a numb bum, she'd just used to suffer in silence.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 12:22   #158
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

We have looked pretty broadly accross the market & I would draw a number of very personal conclusions for a just retired couple - one with a new hip but both relatively tall & with worn backs.

1. German seats are uncomfortable. Ford, BMW & the VW group like seats with hard side bolsters which we both find uncomfortable to climb over. Mercedes are less bad.

2. At 6ft 3ins & not underweight I find that I could do with a bit extra on the seat movement on most cars.

3. Most car seats are too low. Unfortunately to get my head through the door I need the seat at lowest. Thus the tallest people have the seat at its lowest which means a double whammy for seat height. Being tall, a high pavement and a low seat are a receipe for a very difficult disembarkation.

4. The modern very raked windscreens are a menace. The bit that has gone at the front top of the side window is right where my head needs to be.

5. Doors are often too short. If you have the seat fully back then the seat back is behind the door pillar. When getting in or out this makes it much more difficult & make problem 4 much more significant.

6. I like large lazy engines whereas the trend is to smaller fussy ones that are forever changing gear - or need me to do so.

Having fought my way through this lot there are very few cars from which to choose. The Volvo XC60 is amongst the best although it has the sloping windscreen problem & very poor rear three quarter visibility due to the stupid shape of the windows.

The most comfortable car of all? A Range Rover - but not a Range Rover Sport - without a moments hesitation or at the other end of the price scale a Skoda Yeti which unfortunately is not available with automatic & will not pull the caravan to my satisfaction.

Last edited by ChrisE; Mar 22nd, 2010 at 12:27.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 15:12   #159
irishcarfan
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
The Volvo XC60 is amongst the best although it has the sloping windscreen problem & very poor rear three quarter visibility due to the stupid shape of the windows.
AHH THANK YOU!!!!! Thought I was gone nuts. This part of the styling has been annoying me since day one for this exact reason! As a result, I have yet to sit in one - but don't think I ever will...

Was inspecting a Yeti again today at the main dealer. I think it's a great looking, functional car - and exactly what Volvo should have been making today. But they've gone all soft and... 'cool'. It's even got a pretty good turning circle.
irishcarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 16:23   #160
jeffo

Just had a call from my "dealer".

The price for the 2011 MY XC90 D5 Executive has increased by £335.00.

He thinks that might be the new Road Fund License. It represents .8% so I am not complaining.

He also said that I should expect delivery in late June/early July. A more accurate delivery date should be available in a few weeks.

Anyone got a manual I can borrow?
jeffo is offline   Reply With Quote