Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clicking noise from front, probably CV joint

Views : 4832

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 20:36   #1
grrr

Default Clicking noise from front, probably CV joint

I have a clicking noise when doing sharp turns at low speeds, sounds like it is coming from the left wheel. Guessing the outer CV joint?

Seems prices are varying A LOT. Is there a lot of different manufacturers of these? Is there crappy and proper quality out there?

As an example, cheapest I could find here in Norway is about £300, and from eurocarparts.com it is £55 (+shipping +tax). Only thing is that the product information says "Manual gear box". Is the outer CV joint different on auto compared to manual?

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Vo...ed940b6&000095
grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 20:46   #2
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Driveshaft splines. need new bolt and resin in them and leaving for 24 hours the clicking should stop it will be fine so long as it is not abused.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 21:32   #3
400-ascona
Premier Member

Try a new bolt in the end first (volvo genuine with rubber collar) and use the correct sequence to torque it.

Rob
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 22:39   #4
grrr

We are at the wheel end of the shaft now, right? So we are talking about taking off the wheel and replace the bolt in the center with a new one, thats it? Not disconnecting the shaft or anything?

By resin, do you mean like glue or grease? English is not my first language, so I need to be spoon fed sometimes...

When is it "too late" for this fix, and why is the reason it helps replacing the bolt? Why can I not just tighten it up if its loose?

Last edited by grrr; Oct 4th, 2012 at 22:42.
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 10:28   #5
laundryman
The Engineer

From personal experience the new rubber type bolt only cures the clicking you get when stopping & starting. The splines are not the best fit in the front hub and as Ninja 59 says exposing the splines and filling the lot full of loctite retainer or epoxy resin before bolting up does the trick. I am more inclined to look for a CV joint if the noise appears on hard lock only. I guess its one direction only??
The rubber jobs cushion the movement between hub & shaft. Existing bolts allow the rotational movement
laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 16:44   #6
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400-ascona View Post
Try a new bolt in the end first (volvo genuine with rubber collar) and use the correct sequence to torque it.

Rob
will not stop the clicking. i have had the exact same problem and i told the dealer how to sort it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrr View Post
We are at the wheel end of the shaft now, right? So we are talking about taking off the wheel and replace the bolt in the center with a new one, thats it? Not disconnecting the shaft or anything?

By resin, do you mean like glue or grease? English is not my first language, so I need to be spoon fed sometimes...

When is it "too late" for this fix, and why is the reason it helps replacing the bolt? Why can I not just tighten it up if its loose?
you need the splines and by resin i mean glue/epoxy resin splines exposed it can happen at both ends (g'box and wheel end) best doing both and replacing the bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundryman View Post
From personal experience the new rubber type bolt only cures the clicking you get when stopping & starting. The splines are not the best fit in the front hub and as Ninja 59 says exposing the splines and filling the lot full of loctite retainer or epoxy resin before bolting up does the trick. I am more inclined to look for a CV joint if the noise appears on hard lock only. I guess its one direction only??
The rubber jobs cushion the movement between hub & shaft. Existing bolts allow the rotational movement
it will be on moving off that you hear it it wont last much more than that it is caused by water getting into them apparently which then of course causes all sorts of problems.

I have recently spoke to a tech about this very issue the left side went in about 4 weeks ago and then the other sods law started sorted this week.

It happens across the range of vehicles.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 23:13   #7
grrr

Ok. So it is a bit of work then, either way. Any good online sites to source the parts from? Easier than going to the dealer...

Thanks.

And yes, the clicking is only when turning hard on parking lots etc.