Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stuck thermostat?

Views : 1297

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2023, 12:57   #21
Forrest
VOC Member

When my thermostat failed open the temperature gauge struggled to get to 1/4 of the way across the dial. The effects of running at such a low temperature would be the oil never reaching the ideal operating temperature and hence viscosity and the engine being constantly over-fueled by the ECU thinking it was supporting a cold start. Another problem with the oil temperature staying too low is that water and other contaminants would not be boiled off. All things considered, very bad for the engine.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2023, 13:16   #22
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
No the turbo engine runs cooler! Well it does if you have the 87 thermostat rather than the na 92!
What the turbo engine has is a higher thermal output (makes more power) Running a lower opening temp stat allows the cooling system to respond sooner

You dont want the engine running too cold as it increases engine wear
I would have thought a turbo 940 which has a coolant filled turbo would get the coolant hotter than an N/A car especially when I use it for track days and it smells hot after being driven.

Hence why I need to correct the previous owners mistake of fitting the 92°C thermostat as it will open sooner allowing the minimum running temperature to drop a bit.

I think we are essentially saying the same thing.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2023, 15:22   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I would have thought a turbo 940 which has a coolant filled turbo would get the coolant hotter than an N/A car especially when I use it for track days and it smells hot after being driven.

Hence why I need to correct the previous owners mistake of fitting the 92°C thermostat as it will open sooner allowing the minimum running temperature to drop a bit.

I think we are essentially saying the same thing.
If you're going for that kind of use Luke, why not dispense with the oil-water oil intercooler and fit a remote oil cooler using a sandwich plate in place of the OE oil cooler between the block and filter?

Then keep your 92C 'stat and fit an uprated coolant radiator..........

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2023, 18:45   #24
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If you're going for that kind of use Luke, why not dispense with the oil-water oil intercooler and fit a remote oil cooler using a sandwich plate in place of the OE oil cooler between the block and filter?

Then keep your 92C 'stat and fit an uprated coolant radiator..........
Money money money 🤑
Old Oct 13th, 2023, 01:54   #25
baggy798
🤍💙💗

What peak water and oil temps are you seeing on track, Luke?

In this 2004(!) best motoring endurance video, the stock Evo was hitting 102° for water and 126° for oil after 10 minutes and 8 laps, and the STI 108° and 131°.

After 20 minutes and 17 laps they were 105/129° and the same 108/131° respectively.

That was in 33° heat so a bit of a stress test. The temp limits they put on the cars were 110° for water and 140° for oil. None of the other cars are turbo so can't really be compared.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old Oct 13th, 2023, 06:59   #26
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
What peak water and oil temps are you seeing on track, Luke?

In this 2004(!) best motoring endurance video, the stock Evo was hitting 102° for water and 126° for oil after 10 minutes and 8 laps, and the STI 108° and 131°.

After 20 minutes and 17 laps they were 105/129° and the same 108/131° respectively.

That was in 33° heat so a bit of a stress test. The temp limits they put on the cars were 110° for water and 140° for oil. None of the other cars are turbo so can't really be compared.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
That's interesting to see!

I'm not sure on temps as I don't have gauges unfortunately but it just smelt very hot last time out but it was a boiling hot day (over 30°C) though which most likely contributed a bit.

I haven't been out since as a coolant hose burst going to the heater matrix so I've bought DO88 hoses and will replace the lot. I'm waiting for my intercooler issues to be sorted out with speedingparts before a buy a DO88 intercooler and piping to do at the same time.

I've got a 3d printed gauge holder to go in the centre vents that I've got a GFB boost gauge, aem wideband gauge and I'll get a oil pressure combined temperature gauge for the third slot so I can monitor it better.

I'll buy a DO88 radiator too when I have saved up as with Christmas around the corner my toy money is drying up fast.

This tuning stuff ain't cheap!
Old Oct 13th, 2023, 09:07   #27
230ina245

One way to control high temps on sustained high rev/repeated hard accelerating driving is to increase the coolant flow through the head.
Next time you have the head off drill the well documented "group A" holes.
Run some heater pipe from the heater outlet at the back of the head and tee it into the top radiator hose. You will need to insert a heater type valve in the pipe and control it from the dashboard so that you can vary how much extra cooling you have.
I re-plumbed the heater by repurposing the hard pipe that had supplied coolant to the oil warmer/cooler.
The idea was developed by Stealthfti over on turbobricks and is very effective.
Tim
230ina245 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 230ina245 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2023, 09:49   #28
Mertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
That's interesting to see!

I'm not sure on temps as I don't have gauges unfortunately but it just smelt very hot last time out but it was a boiling hot day (over 30°C) though which most likely contributed a bit.

I haven't been out since as a coolant hose burst going to the heater matrix so I've bought DO88 hoses and will replace the lot. I'm waiting for my intercooler issues to be sorted out with speedingparts before a buy a DO88 intercooler and piping to do at the same time.

I've got a 3d printed gauge holder to go in the centre vents that I've got a GFB boost gauge, aem wideband gauge and I'll get a oil pressure combined temperature gauge for the third slot so I can monitor it better.

I'll buy a DO88 radiator too when I have saved up as with Christmas around the corner my toy money is drying up fast.

This tuning stuff ain't cheap!
I had Do88 hoses on the heater core but it was really bad quality and a poor fit. I think the intake/pressure hoses are decent but wouldn't touch their coolant hoses ever again.
Mertz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mertz For This Useful Post: