Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine fan constantly running

Views : 13439

Replies : 75

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 27th, 2013, 16:11   #1
koosintea

Default Engine fan constantly running

Hi all!

I've just picked up a nice V70 D5 from eBay. I really should know better...

While I was checking the oil I noticed a disconnected connector...the other end was right next to it so I plugged it back in.

The result was that the engine fan runs constantly, even with the ignition off, and even an hour after the engine has stopped. Guess that explains why it was disconnected!

Has anyone else experienced this? I can only think that the temperature sender is borked...
koosintea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 19:16   #2
Luxobarge
Premier Member

If the temp sensor was faulty you'd be seeing other symptoms, notably the temperature guage would be reading wrong.

Favourite would be a stuck relay I'd have thought - I think it's in a panel immediately above and behind the radiator - although I don't know the diesel models well, it may be different.
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 19:24   #3
960kg
Premier Member

How does it drive????

If the fan runs forever it is usually an indication of a faulty MAF!

Try to get the error codes?

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 23:16   #4
GEORGEROV
GEORGEROV

Cool

[QUOTE=koosintea;1544078]Hi all!

While I was checking the oil I noticed a disconnected connector...the other end was right next to it so I plugged it back in.

The result was that the engine fan runs constantly, even with the ignition off, and even an hour after the engine has stopped. Guess that explains why it was disconnected!

Has anyone else experienced this? I can only think that the temperature sender is borked...[/QUOTE

Dont know a lot about this model but on a lot of cars there can be test connector plugs under the dash or in engine bay which are only connected when doing certain tests on components . Is everything else on the car working correctly when this is disconnected ? . If so then that is probably the answer .
GEORGEROV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 07:54   #5
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

As it's a D5, maybe better to go to the 2000> forum, once there search for faulty fan controller.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 08:55   #6
KBB
Master Tech

I'm assuming that this is a phase 2 running EDC 15 and will be fitted with a cooling fan control module located on the cooling fan frame. The key clue here is that even with the engine off the fan is running, a key indicator that the control module itself has failed. If the fan were to run at key on with a cold engine then the fault could be with the coolant temp sensor or its associated wiring or the A/C pressure sensor and its associated wiring, both of these possible's can quickly be eliminated with a scan tool and access to live data.

In over view the control module receives a permanent live feed via fuse A8, in side the module is a transistor which is a similar set up to the heater blower fan circuit. The ECU monitors engine coolant and at 100deg will send's a pulse width modulated signal to pin 4 at the cooling fan module this signal controls the base current of the transistor and then switches power to the cooling fan. By using a varying signal this can control the speed of the fan without using traditional relays.

The other control circuit that will force the ECU to command the cooling fan on is the A/C system pressure. When the AC reaches 3100Kpa the ECU will command the cooling fan to cool the A/C condenser. This is where live data is useful if with a cold engine key on engine off and live data showing a ECT over 100deg then test the ECT and also its 5v reference voltage and a ground. Likewise under the same condition if you look at A/C line pressure and its over 3100kpa then test the sensor and also its 5v reference voltage, signal voltage and ground.

In this case I suspect the transistor has blown and is creating a direct feed to the fan motor.

Hope tis is of help!

Last edited by cumbrianmale; Jan 2nd, 2014 at 20:06. Reason: Deleted text
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KBB For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 10:39   #7
960kg
Premier Member

OK, so i know this is a Diesel motor but it seems to have the symptoms of a petrol motor also!..........so could the problem be an aftermarket MAF affecting other systems???

.......anyway have a read of the following LINK

It is also here if you have forgotten how to work it!

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ht=coolant+fan

Read it very carefully word for word and you will see despite what motor he has the fan runs continously after he has switched OFF the engine!!!!

The answer to his problem IS in post Number 8 but especially Number 21 & 28

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Last edited by cumbrianmale; Jan 2nd, 2014 at 20:09. Reason: Deleted text
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 15:47   #8
Slackey
It's just a name!

Did anyone read the links that Keith posted? He actually may have a point about the MAF. The link he posted shows that it was a tried and tested solution to a fault with what appears to be identical symptoms to the OP.

I for one will be interested to hear what the final outcome of the OPs problem is. If it is the MAF then maybe some people should being helping themselves to a large portion of humble pie

Previous: 2010 C70 2.0 SE Lux, 2004 V40 2.0 Sport Classic

Founder member of the X40 In Dash Cup Holder Owners Club 😋
Slackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slackey For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 16:46   #9
KBB
Master Tech

In his defence on the V40 T4 a MAF fault would cause the cooling fan to run for 10 minutes for a cold engine start up both for a signal too high and a signal too low condition DTC.

The second condition for fan run on after a hot shut-down is when the coolant remains above 115 deg and it would run on for 2.5 minutes.

The D5 will not have any cooling fan action for a MAF fault.

Last edited by cumbrianmale; Jan 2nd, 2014 at 20:11. Reason: Deleted text
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 16:58   #10
strbryan
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackey View Post
Did anyone read the links that Keith posted? He actually may have a point about the MAF. The link he posted shows that it was a tried and tested solution to a fault with what appears to be identical symptoms to the OP.

I for one will be interested to hear what the final outcome of the OPs problem is. If it is the MAF then maybe some people should being helping themselves to a large portion of humble pie
The link 960kg provided was with reference to a petrol 1998 Volvo V40 Turbo So unless the p2 D5 has the same running characteristics as the early petrol Volvo's I doubt anyone will be eating any humble pie..
strbryan is offline   Reply With Quote