Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5252T wont start after head rebuild

Views : 1405

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 16th, 2023, 00:51   #1
Juba

Default D5252T wont start after head rebuild

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can support me in my venture to get a 2.5 TDI started after rebuild of head.

D5252t msa15.8 (Bosch afm)
Rebuilt head after cambelt slip by prev owner.
I have partly disassembled injectors to clean and put back together- can’t see how anything put back wrong?
I have replaced fuel filter (filled as much as I could) tried some hand pumping to purge by way of hooking up to 2 of the 4 lines of filter but mostly unsuccessful.
I see there is some large air entrapment in the clear fuel line off pump - is this only the return though?
Can has not run for 5 years. (I haven't drained tank but I did fill fuel filter with fresh and a little in tank.

Flywheel and camshaft timing Im sure is spot on.
Injection pump lines up well body to pull notch. have also tried about a tooth further clockwise.

Cracking fuel lines show fuel is getting to them.

any advise to my next steps?

Test glow plugs -
Further bleed fuel lines somehow
Tow (push start) the car in gear for way to self bleed? Im worried about taxing my starter motor.

Test other electrical items that could stop starting?
Crankshaft sensor
Immobiliser how does this prevent start through ecu? What does it do to prevent start?
Wiring/ operation to no 4 injector - I cut this and have a join and it is 2 wire I have had to try this both ways.
Plug to injection pump? not sure what this does.
Anything else?

I had vida readout
ECM000 engine rpm sensor - this could be wiring to injector - I expect this as I have tried both ways so one way presumably wrong.
ECM0011 - injection timing control injection too early - Im not sure that this is current - could be from various playing around or 5 years ago when cambelt slipped?

I have cleared and vida does not give any more codes it seems unless car been running? I think it has to be idling to show dynamic timing.

thanks Geoff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tdi pump timing.jpg (85.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg tdi codes.jpg (86.1 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Juba; Apr 16th, 2023 at 00:55. Reason: add photos
Juba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 19:38   #2
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juba View Post
ECM0011 - injection timing control injection too early
That code is probably due the wiring to the needle lift sensor. It can fail to start or run correctly if that's damaged/kinked.

You may need to remove the fuel pump electrical connection for a look inside to make sure there is no oil/moisture/corrosion or damaged pins.

The immobiliser can be triggered if the antenna ring around the ignition fails to identify the key. Cleaning the antenna contacts and its connection with contact cleaner usually does the trick.

Can you also confirm...when you set up TDC via the aperture in the gearbox bell housing, that the camshaft had the correct orientation...as in the slot in the end of the camshaft, for the special adjustment tool, located behind the fuel pump cam sprocket, was horizontal to and above the level of the head?

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 20:07   #3
Martin Cox
VOC Member

I found myself in a similar situation when replacing the cylinder head after a cambelt failure on my D5252T.

I would think it likely that the camshaft is timed correctly or I suspect the valves would have hit the pistons by now during your attempts to start it.

Is it possible that the code being shown is because the timing is still way off where it should be? Mybe the timing is too far advanced?

I do recall that the marks on the injection pump were of very little help so I ended up resorting to trial and error simply using the mark as a starting point and moving the pulley about 1 tooth at a time between each attempt to start it.

Eventually it started first turn. It's about 6 years ago now but I think I may have been anything up to 10 teeth away from where I began but I'm aftraid I can't recall in which direction.

Hope this is of some help.

Martin

1998 V70 Tdi auto
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 20:08   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

cam lobes can move round after a cambelt failure they are only pressed on . how much damaged was caused and what have you replaced so far?
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 20:20   #5
Martin Cox
VOC Member

I know that's true for the D5 engine but is it also true for the D5252T which is basically an Volkswagen/Audi engine? About the only similarity between them is the number of cylinders.

My understanding is that if the D5252T engine is turning at any speed when the belt fails, the camshaft will probably shatter into a number of pieces. At that point whether the lobes have shifted on the shaft is of academic interest only.

Martin.
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 21:09   #6
Juba

Thanks for all input guys,

Actually I "think" the engine seemed to survive well with only the buckets being damaged - the valves actually weren't bent - this could indicate the lobes rotating if that is indeed possible rather than bending valves.

In theory I might have tried rerplacing buckets and starting if I had a time machine but maybe best I didn't.

I replaced valves and buckets - camshaft appeared fine.

Camshaft is timed to flywheel - I have checked three times it has kept that way.

I'm going to try rotating the injection pump 1 tooth at a time, I had tried 1 tooth clockwise but will try anticlockwise (retart?)

10 tooth seems like a lot to be out from marks but ok encourages me to try lots of positions. Injection pump toothed pulley must be no keyed? who knows.
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 22:50   #7
Juba

Thanks guys it fired up after retarding (anti clockwise) couple of teeth, appreciate the inputs and other posts leading me to keep moving timing.

Cheers Geoff
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Juba For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 00:10   #8
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Excellent news. Well done!

It's so satisfying when it finally starts!

Now it's running you should be able to check and adjust the dynamic timing to get it spot on.

Out of interest, has the 'ECM0011 - injection timing control injection too early' fault code now cleared?

Martin

Last edited by Martin Cox; Apr 23rd, 2023 at 00:22.
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 14:16   #9
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juba View Post
Thanks guys it fired up after retarding (anti clockwise) couple of teeth, appreciate the inputs and other posts leading me to keep moving timing.

Cheers Geoff
Happy days!

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2023, 22:12   #10
Juba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post
Excellent news. Well done!

It's so satisfying when it finally starts!

Now it's running you should be able to check and adjust the dynamic timing to get it spot on.

Out of interest, has the 'ECM0011 - injection timing control injection too early' fault code now cleared?

Martin
Not yet, I had issue with my vida now sorted, still got that code ecm0011. Timing is 9deg positive so along way off yet.

I’m waiting on new belt then I will time up

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 918B00A5-B510-4160-8D66-63A7E2D374B8.jpeg (160.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg 14F27645-DF20-45C1-A7E6-7DCFB393D71E.jpeg (100.0 KB, 7 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Juba For This Useful Post: