Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rust advice needed

Views : 2754

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 28th, 2023, 09:53   #1
abtx

Default Rust advice needed

Hi!

Yesterday I became an owner of a nice '97 940 estate. I wanted one for a while, and one became available locally. 200k miles on the clock, 2 previous owners. FSH. But, obviously, a car this age comes with some issues. Most are minor things I'll fix. One thing that I need to act on and help the car fight with is rust.

The MOT has advisory `Vehicle structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced (6.1.1 (c) (i))`. I've attached a few pictures I manage to take.

What are the typical measures I'd need to take and how urgent you reckon this is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3947.jpg (387.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3948.jpg (127.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3949.jpg (122.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3950.jpg (111.8 KB, 54 views)
Old Jun 28th, 2023, 11:04   #2
volvo always
Premier Member

Great to see another 940! I have a 96 940, with 208,000 miles. Runs great.

I would use a wire wheel on a drill or grinder and grind all the rust back to as bare metal as possible. Now in warm, dry weather is ideal.

Treat the metal with a rust converter product then re paint with a rust converted primer then underseal of your product choice.

Check the battery tray/ wheel arch area. Mine is going, known rust trap

James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2023, 11:07   #3
abtx

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
Great to see another 940!

I would use a wire wheel on a drill or grinder and grind all the rust back to as bare metal as possible. Now in warm, dry weather is ideal.

Treat the metal with a rust converter product then re paint with a rust converted primer then underseal of your product choice.

Check the battery tray/ wheel arch area. Mine is going, known rust trap

James.
Thanks, I'm chuffed to be finally able to own one of those classic estates!

I'll start working on it asap, hopefully the rust isn't going in too deep. I'm keen to keep the car going for years to come!

Thanks for the advice
Old Jun 28th, 2023, 11:17   #4
volvo always
Premier Member

A car you'll be driving for years to come. Mine was an unloved, cosmetically challenged 940 6 years ago, that was going to be broken for parts.
Tidied it up over the years but certain body panels need painting, if money was no object. Cost me £250 to buy and used as my work vehicle.

The mechanicals are very reliable and easy for DIY maintenance. The body, rust wise is better than most cars of the age they are. Every 2 years, I re underseal mine with a few cans of waxoil. Built Humber, Dinitrol, lanoguard are probably better products out there, but it keeps it at bay. Will need to get battery tray area welded at some point.

Enjoy your 940! James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2023, 11:31   #5
abtx

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
A car you'll be driving for years to come. Mine was an unloved, cosmetically challenged 940 6 years ago, that was going to be broken for parts.
Tidied it up over the years but certain body panels need painting, if money was no object. Cost me £250 to buy and used as my work vehicle.

The mechanicals are very reliable and easy for DIY maintenance. The body, rust wise is better than most cars of the age they are. Every 2 years, I re underseal mine with a few cans of waxoil. Built Humber, Dinitrol, lanoguard are probably better products out there, but it keeps it at bay. Will need to get battery tray area welded at some point.

Enjoy your 940! James
Glad you've saved it from the scrappers! It's always a shame cars that are still good see end of their life prematurely. Especially beautiful wagons like this.

One of the reasons I got one is because of the ease of working on them. I like to dabble in DIY and an old Volvo that is easy to work on is a perfect choice for me. Paid a few times more what you paid, but it was still one the cheapest around, and other than brake disc worn (fluctuating on braking), "slight seepage from a component steering rack", and, one heated seat not working, everything is in check. The suspension and engine are spot on, like a sewing machine, no knocks and bangs. Oh, and the oil temperature gauge is going up then down, never settling. And a small dent in the rear quarter. Other than those few small issues, the car is spot on!

Re the rust routine, preventative maintenance sounds like the only way to go, just hope that I'll be able to keep at bay and MOT testers happy
Old Jun 28th, 2023, 11:58   #6
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtx View Post
Glad you've saved it from the scrappers! It's always a shame cars that are still good see end of their life prematurely. Especially beautiful wagons like this.

One of the reasons I got one is because of the ease of working on them. I like to dabble in DIY and an old Volvo that is easy to work on is a perfect choice for me. Paid a few times more what you paid, but it was still one the cheapest around, and other than brake disc worn (fluctuating on braking), "slight seepage from a component steering rack", and, one heated seat not working, everything is in check. The suspension and engine are spot on, like a sewing machine, no knocks and bangs. Oh, and the oil temperature gauge is going up then down, never settling. And a small dent in the rear quarter. Other than those few small issues, the car is spot on!

Re the rust routine, preventative maintenance sounds like the only way to go, just hope that I'll be able to keep at bay and MOT testers happy
Do you mean water temp ?
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2023, 12:00   #7
Moomoo
VOC Member

Or oil pressure?
Old Jun 28th, 2023, 12:10   #8
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

That is probably as cancerous on the inside as out. Cut it out, weld in new metal, treat the cavity and paint the outside, and do it before they start salting the roads again.

The other parts I'd clean up and spray with Lanoguard, the most effective rust inhibitor and the easiest to apply.
Old Jun 28th, 2023, 12:28   #9
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
That is probably as cancerous on the inside as out. Cut it out, weld in new metal, treat the cavity and paint the outside, and do it before they start salting the roads again.

The other parts I'd clean up and spray with Lanoguard, the most effective rust inhibitor and the easiest to apply.
Agreed, inside will be worse than outside!🤨
Old Jun 28th, 2023, 12:31   #10
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Or oil pressure?
Never seen an oil pressure gauge on a 940.
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:

Tags
940, advice, corroded, rust, structure