Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Warranty XC60 R Design Polestar Petrol

Views : 1166

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2020, 18:43   #11
The Thong
VOC Member

The only trouble with the extended warranty is what’s not covered, I’d read the small print before you spend. I’ve had my third renewal come through now Ona five year old motor and I’m beginning to think is it worth it? I have a V60 across Country AWD Auto, lots of expensive stuff that can fail. I’m going to have review mine.

TT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 20:00   #12
The Thong
VOC Member

From what I understand, unless you get an Engine, Gearbox, Haldex, Diff or major component fail, nothing else is covered.

https://volvoextendedwarranty.motor-...y-document.pdf

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 20:29   #13
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacXC60T5 View Post
What price is Peace of Mind?
In my previous post, I explained my current situation with my 2018 R Design T5 XC60 Polestar. My mileage stated was not correct. I fully appreciate all the advice given but I am now considering what price is peace of mind worth. After checking my mileage records I purchased the XC60 in May 2018 for £39k with 5k miles. Every conceivable extra was fitted. Just had a service, mileage reading now only 9500 so have only completed 4500 in nearly 3 years. Due to Sod's law, I am now considering the Volvo extended warranty at £45 per month. Appreciating the cost difference what is the basic difference between Warranty Direct (Full Cover) Any Garage £274. Warranty Wise (Full Cover) Any Garage £454.00. Volvo Warranty £447.
Being a natural worrier regarding things going wrong I want to be in a situation where I do not need to be concerned if something major goes wrong. When Covid-19 has disappeared I intend to do some long trips in 2021.
I suppose some will think I am a bit stupid, but money is not a problem being a self employed Architect with my own practice and also receiving a good pension. Still working but Covid-19 has nackered the building Industry and potential clients and thats another story.

I would get my car serviced at a Volvo dealer and get the benefit of the yearly breakdown warranty. I think you are wasting your money. In fact, that is what I do. Serviced every year. My XC60 D5 Polestar chipped is now at 42,000 miles and, for the past 12 Volvos I have had I have never had this extra warranty, nor have I required one. You are sufficiently well off that you will manage to pay for any work that would be required. Save your money.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dibble For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 08:48   #14
Welton
Premier Member

Just thinking from another angle for a minute; the depreciation hit on this car is looking like ~ £380.00/month, add the extended Warranty and you're up to £425.00/month.

For total piece of mind and to portray a valued image of the Architects Practice then perhaps leasing a new car every 2/3 years would make sense? this way you don't need to worry about anything car-related and enjoy fixed-cost motoring.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 12:36   #15
MacXC60T5

Extract from the Volvo Extended Warranty
This warranty does not cover:
Spark plugs, auxiliary drive belts, hoses and pipes (power-assisted steering pressure pipes are covered),
exhaust system and diesel particulate filter (catalytic converters are covered), clutch frictional material,
brake shoes, pads and discs, lamps (LED lamps are covered providing at least 50% of the lighting has
failed), bulbs (Bi-Xenon bulbs are covered), fuses, batteries, paintwork, body panels, body seals and
weather strips, handles and hinges, cosmetic finishes, carpets and trim, upholstery, glass, wiper blades,
wheels and tyres, the rectification of any oil leaks (unless the removal of a major unit is required) and the
adjustment of any component, servicing, maintenance and normal wear and tear.
The Following User Says Thank You to MacXC60T5 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 12:41   #16
MacXC60T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
Just thinking from another angle for a minute; the depreciation hit on this car is looking like ~ £380.00/month, add the extended Warranty and you're up to £425.00/month.

For total piece of mind and to portray a valued image of the Architects Practice then perhaps leasing a new car every 2/3 years would make sense? this way you don't need to worry about anything car-related and enjoy fixed-cost motoring.
Many thanks for the reply. My age is 78 and still working. Last 12 months I have been self-isolating. As self-employed working 100% from home do not need a vehicle for an image. I just love driving a luxury vehicle and get great pleasure when I go for a run.
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 14:20   #17
Welton
Premier Member

Ah I understand, my Neighbour has his own practice and employs about 4 others at the office, when talking about cars he explained that many clients expect you to have a nice car...almost on the basis of the success it assumes and that the clients have chosen an established and competent Architect.

It's a bit like if you invited a Financial Advisor to your home and they arrive in a tatty 2001 Ford Focus - perhaps their 'advice' is best avoided.

Anyway, hey if you don't use the car too much have you thought about hiring cars for long trips?

We run 'mediocre' cars to do the daily donkey work but regularly hire stuff to do long-distance family runs and trips, I always enjoy using something new/different and not having the burden of the cost....
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 16:01   #18
green van man
Premier Member

My volvo is 11 years old. My land-rover 26.

Volvo has 83,000 miles on it. Land-rover 207,000.

I have RAC cover on any car I am a passenger in or driver of.

I will happily take either car any distance at any time.

Niether car has any sort of mechanical insurance cover except regular servicing and checking.

I appreciate that's me not the OP but when I look at what is not covered by these insurances and rest assured they will try to weedle out of any claim , they really are bordering on a scam in my opinion.

For peace of mind just service it regularly and accept the occasional hit when something wears out.

The £820 volvo drive shaft my car needed would not of been covered by any warrenty, even volvo 3 year from new warrenty I suspect they would refuse it under wear and tear / driver abusable parts. Good job the factor parts with twice the garentee period for faulty materials was only £180. Apart from service parts Inc tyres that is all I have paid out on the car for repairs in 11 years.
At £450 a year for 8 years I would be 3400 - 180 = 3220 £ down on the deal. That's a fair few repairs.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 16:56   #19
Welton
Premier Member

I agree about what's not covered on a motorcar warranty. Pretty much the only engine part covered is the cast engine block itself!

I'm simplifying of course but you get the idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post: