Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Low Brake Fluid

Views : 2110

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2019, 18:32   #11
Puffster

Yes!

As discovered, Police spec cars have a wear indicator but as there isn't a separate light/warning for that already on the dash, Volvo have spliced it into the Low Brake Fluid warning circuit somehow. New pads come with a little rubber grommet and a fuse (?!) and once fitted, the light's off.
Old Jun 12th, 2020, 17:25   #12
Jukebox2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffster View Post
Yes!

As discovered, Police spec cars have a wear indicator but as there isn't a separate light/warning for that already on the dash, Volvo have spliced it into the Low Brake Fluid warning circuit somehow. New pads come with a little rubber grommet and a fuse (?!) and once fitted, the light's off.
Hi Puffster...or anyone else online that can help me please
I have a V70 2008 and I'm having an absolute nightmare trying to speak to anyone that understands the problem.
My cars ex police and after viewing the forum it's because the pads are shot and need replacing....I've just come back from my garage who have said they cant fit the pads they have ordered as the anti wear sensor is also shot as the brakes are seriously low.
I've priced pads and harnesses up and they come in at near £200 and that number makes me angry lol.
The pads you reference above...would you be kind enough to share the part number please as I'd love to be able to bypass the wear sensors and take the damned light off the dashboard....alternatively is there any way to just stick a set of pads in and disable the light?
I know on some cars you can just chop the sensors out and join the 2 cables up and it fools the car into keeping the light off.
Any help or advice would be massively appreciated please.

Thanks, James.
Jukebox2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 00:40   #13
AlexV70Drive1

Check your pads all round before topping up the fluid

! The fluid will get low as the pistons push out more to compensate for less meat on the pads so if you just top it up you’ll end up with the brake fluid over flowing when you do the pads and have a mess to clean up or have to suck it out or bleed it out.

Always check the pads and for leaks first so you know where you’re at as brake fluid only gets low when the two things I mentioned happen. Also braking around corners does not introduce air into the system.

Air gets in when you have a leak somewhere. when the fluid comes out air gets in other than that it’s sealed up. The reason you don’t brake around corners is because it upsets the handling and you should brake before to avoid crashing from going into the bend too fast then it’s too late to brake.

Last edited by AlexV70Drive1; Jun 15th, 2020 at 00:47.
AlexV70Drive1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AlexV70Drive1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 10:45   #14
Jukebox2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexV70Drive1 View Post

! The fluid will get low as the pistons push out more to compensate for less meat on the pads so if you just top it up you’ll end up with the brake fluid over flowing when you do the pads and have a mess to clean up or have to suck it out or bleed it out.

Always check the pads and for leaks first so you know where you’re at as brake fluid only gets low when the two things I mentioned happen. Also braking around corners does not introduce air into the system.

Air gets in when you have a leak somewhere. when the fluid comes out air gets in other than that it’s sealed up. The reason you don’t brake around corners is because it upsets the handling and you should brake before to avoid crashing from going into the bend too fast then it’s too late to brake.
Front pads are really low on the inner pads and one side has taken the anti wear sensor out with it.
I'm going to take it to my local indy and get them to chip and join the cables to get rid of the light as I dont fancy spending £150 on 2 new sensors to be honest given the age if the car.
I spoke to a nice tech at a volvo garage and he said that chopping and joining the cables will take the light off and all will be good in the world again.

Thanks for your help
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 11:49   #15
AlexV70Drive1

No worries 😃 I’m with you on not wanting to spend £150 on a pair of wear sensors just to turn the light off especially when you can join the wires together. I bet I can find you a pair of them cheap as chips if I have a look around if you want.
Old Jun 16th, 2020, 16:29   #16
Jukebox2020

Quote:
No worries 😃 I’m with you on not wanting to spend £150 on a pair of wear sensors just to turn the light off especially when you can join the wires together. I bet I can find you a pair of them cheap as chips if I have a look around if you want.
Thanks for the offer mate but all done now and shes got a shiny new set of brembos on from Euro Car Parts that came in at £40 with a discount code

For anyone else in this predicament then simply remove the cable that goes into the pad facing the front of the car and join the 2 wires up and heat shrink and tape and cable tie back to the arm.
It removes the annoying brake fluid low light and instead of 2 makes of pads to choose from you now have multiple options and no more worries about that stupid light coming on.
Do make sure they you keep on top of your pad wear though and replace when needed.

Tyres and tracking next for the old girl
Old Jun 16th, 2020, 21:59   #17
AlexV70Drive1

No worries mate you got a good price I paid about that for my pads all bar a few pence from autodoc, I chose pagid as they are on the rears so I though might as well match them up not that it makes a blind bit of difference to anyone who’s not staring at the pads though the wheels 😂 I was tempted by some Brembos just to say I’ve got brembo brakes! Haha
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 00:29   #18
Tatsfield
Premier Member

[QUOTE=AlexV70Drive1;2639621 I was tempted by some Brembos just to say I’ve got brembo brakes! Haha[/QUOTE]

Before I bought the XC70 I had three Peugeot 406 V6 Coupes with 4 pot Brembo front brakes. They have a nasty habit of squealing like 19 cats out of hell They are almost impossible to correct short of a complete refurbishment because the fancy alloy callipers corrode and the stainless steel protective plates behind the pads misalign. Don't wish for Brembos unless you only use the car for occasional track days and need the stopping power. On the road you have a 50/50 chance that you will find your car shrieking like a banshee and frightening old ladies on the high street!
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 17:14   #19
V70greg

Quote:

I certainly hope spirited cornering doesn't affect brake fluid and allow air in.... I may have to start riding my ZX6R sensibly if high speed cornering is out

all within the speed limits, of course
V70greg is offline   Reply With Quote