Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starter not working

Views : 319

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2019, 14:30   #1
v50t5sesport

Default Starter not working

My troublesome T5 is giving grief again. About 6 months ago the starter wouldn't work and I had to bump start it. When I stripped it down, the wire from the solenoid had corroded and dropped off. A replacement starter (second hand was obtained) and installed. All has been ok until last week, where it did the same again. Although this time after it was left for a couple of days worked. Same strip down again, this time all looked ok, but to be doubly sure stripped the motor down, and used the solenoid from the old unit (from 6 months ago). Checked it out with using jump leads directly connected to the motor (on the bench, and all worked ok). Put it back in the car, and all seemed ok yesterday. Went on a number of trips round. Today, no start. No click - just seems dead again. Any clues - relay or fuse somwhere that goes dicky ?
v50t5sesport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 16:08   #2
brutusmotorsport

just buy a new one. less hassle in long run. like yourself ive stripped starter motors many a time. but as a daily driver ive always fitted new.
brutusmotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 16:17   #3
v50t5sesport

I don't think the starters faulty this time, it spins when you apply power using jump leads
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 16:41   #4
brutusmotorsport

if your connecting jump leads direct to the starter when already connected up to the battery in the car. not only will you do damage to the ecu. you will kill the starter. if it works on the bench and only sometimes in the car you more than likely have a charging issue or on the off chance an earth issue.
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 17:47   #5
v50t5sesport

Tested it on the bench with a spare battery and jump leads. Worked ok yesterday (all day). Battery is charging fine, and its fairly new - Its not a flat battery
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 17:49   #6
brutusmotorsport

could be earth issue to the starter or main battery lead itself.
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 19:04   #7
v50t5sesport

Could the switch on the clutch pedal be faulty ? - It does say depress clutch if you don't press the clutch down, but could the ecu get that information and the switch still not work ?
A couple of times over the last few months, it hasn't started - then release the clutch and back down and it has.
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 10:04   #8
v50t5sesport

AAAGGGG - Put my boiler suit on this morning to have another look. Started 1st time - no hesitation. Tried at least a couple of dozen times, no problem at all. Can only go places where I dont need to stop or on a hill !
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 19:52   #9
v50t5sesport

Then later that night, no start, and no start since. I have been googling around, and I think it may be the ignition switch (Car is now nearly 13 years old with 148k) - Looks like a fairy common problem ??? - Anyone know how to confirm without buying a new switch ?