Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2012 V70 Water Leaks

Views : 1778

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2019, 01:23   #1
Noel Paterson

Default 2012 V70 Water Leaks

Hi I have a 2012 V70 purchased about 20 months ago with 46k miles and a full Taggarts Volvo Service History. Sorry to post a new thread, but all previous references to this issue seemed to be a few years old..

I have serious water leaks:
Parked nose-downhill in heavy rain, water drips through the fron interior light above the windscreen. (Only every so often)
Parked nose-uphill water flows into the front passenger compartment on the left handside near the door (scuttle?) and also near the contre console (Blower box?). The water penetrates while the car is stationery with no fan or AC blowing, so I'm not suspecting the AC drain.

I have removed the carpets and seats to discover the foam under the carpets is totally saturated. The bare floorpan on the passenger side was dried out yesterday. Following a day of Scottish downpours about another 4 litres of water has collected.

I'm suspecting the windscreen seal and I've called National Windscreens for a quote for removing and refitting this. Also suspecting scuttle drains? Does anyone have any experience of these?

I'd be grateful for any help with this, and will gladly share any solutions I find.

Thanks

Noel
Noel Paterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 01:43   #2
Noel Paterson

Default 2012 V70 Water Leaks

PS I don't have a sunroof...

Thanks
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 07:45   #3
Peter86
Pete

Check the windscreen, known issue for the sealant not binding the windscreen properly. Volvo may do it free under warranty if it is that. Known to cause flooding of the front carpets.
As for the boot I had the same issue, where the hinges are the water pools and gets in through the hinge opening or around the edge of the hinge. I purchased some self adhesive 15mm D shape door rubber seal and put it across the top of the boot behind the hinges (roof side) and a bit extra going down the sides by the lights just to keep the water away as much as possible. I found just a strip across the top the water still got round the edge and slowly pooled so do one whole length and a bit down to the lights as precaution.
If you want any pictures drop me a private message with your email and I'll send some pics for you.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 10:53   #4
Noel Paterson

Thanks very much Pete. I’ve booked National Windscreens to refit the screen and see if that helps. I’ll try to send you a private message with my email if I can work out how! Unable to do that because I’m not authorised to private message an Administrator because I have fewer than 30 posts? Anyway I don’t mind disclosing my email here.. It’s noel@zoomtastic.co.uk

Noel

Last edited by Noel Paterson; Dec 11th, 2019 at 12:23. Reason: Unable to send private message.
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 16:10   #5
ExCee70
VOC Member

Well known issue with the poor primer on the screen where the sealant goes.

Not long had my 2012 XC70 screen resealed due to ingress of water from the top of the screen.

Done FOC at Holdcroft Volvo in Stoke where my car is serviced.

1967 123GT running resto
2012 XC70 SE Lux D5 with Polestar
ExCee70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ExCee70 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 16:22   #6
apersson850
Premier Member

My 2012 XC70 had the windscreen replaced, for free, for the very same reason. Discovered the problem when I was in the UK, actually.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 11:07   #7
Noel Paterson

Default Thanks

Thanks to members who have privately messaged me. Unfortunately I have apparently too few posts to be authorised to send private messages, so I've been unable to reply directly. Due to having stripped out the interior of the car to dry the satuated carpets it isn't driveable so National Windscreens are coming to me to refit the screen.
Old Dec 18th, 2019, 18:45   #8
pacman849
Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux

Angry Late 2012 V70 with windscreen leaking at top seal

Seems I have the same problem. The Windscreen on my 2012 V70 SE Lux has started leaking along the whole of the passenger side. This looks like a known "batch" problem with V70 or XC70 models in 2012, judging by the number of people here who have complained, and there is a risk that all 2012 V70 and XC70 models could have the same issue.

Surely Volvo should repair this for free as a manufacturing fault?? I have just received a quote for £360 to reseal it by Autowindscreens, which seems hugely excessive, seeing as they will not actually be replacing the glass, just resealing it.

I think this is a Main Dealer discussion...seems there are many of us with similar problems.

Thoughts?
pacman849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2019, 18:57   #9
pacman849
Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Paterson View Post
Thanks to members who have privately messaged me. Unfortunately I have apparently too few posts to be authorised to send private messages, so I've been unable to reply directly. Due to having stripped out the interior of the car to dry the satuated carpets it isn't driveable so National Windscreens are coming to me to refit the screen.
Would be good to know how you got on, and what you ended up having to pay out, if anything, seeing as this seems to be a known manufacturing fault.
pacman849 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pacman849 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2019, 17:11   #10
Noel Paterson

Default V70 leak fixed??

Yes, thanks to everyone on the forum - it looks like this has been caused by a poorly sealed windscreen, and it now appears to have been fixed.

I didn't originally suspect the windscreen, especially as there was never any water running down the inside of the screen. By the time I realised it probably was the screen (thanks to the forum), we had already stripped out the interior to remove the seats and the soaking carpets so the car wasn't driveable, and I wasn't able to get it to a Volvo dealer. So I called National Windscreens to come to me. They quoted about £90 to remove and reseal the screen, but said they would bring a spare in case it wasn't possible to remove the screen without breaking it. And yes of course it broke, so it cost £309 to have new screen fitted. With hindsight I should probably have gone to Volvo.. But at least my car now shows no sign of water ingress, since the screen was replaced. It looks as if the seal along the top of the screen was letting water in which was then running down the inside of the A pillars at each side and coming out in the footwell. Before getting the screen fixed, with the carpets stripped out, I dried the car thoroughly. After heavy rain overnight, I had to bail out 5 litres of water from the passenger side the next day. So it was a massive leak. And since having the screen replaced, there's no more water! I just need to wait a bit longer for the carpets to dry out thoroughly before putting it all back together...