Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 potential purchase

Views : 889

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 7th, 2019, 18:57   #1
jimbo84

Default V50 potential purchase

Hi everyone, new to this forum.

I've been looking for a replacement for my very corroded toyota corolla, looking for an estate and came across the volvo V50, I hadn't considered a volvo before coming across this particular listing.

Being bitten by the corolla corrosion at the last MOT (it won't get through the next one without hundreds of quids worth of welding doing) I'm looking for a car that won't rust.

I've looked at a few V50s online and checking MOT histories for some, there have been advisories for corrosion around the rear subframe mounting points, rear boot floors, bit of a coincidence to have more than one or two randomly selected cars of the similar age/mileage to have similar advisories if there isn't a known issue with corrosion on them.

Is corrosion on Volvos generally something to be worried about?

For reference I've been looking at models around the late 2005/2006 age with about 100,000 plus miles on, found some nice ones with full service history and the engines seem good (I'm used to toyota bullet proof engines).

I thought the days of jacking up cars and seeing the jack moving up through the sill without the car lifting were gone, it appears not as gone as I'd like.
jimbo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 20:28   #2
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

First thing to note is that the P1 platform Volvo V50/S40/C30/C70 cars (2004-2012) share their platform with the MK2 Ford Focus, so they are not thoroughbred Volvos. Though this does mean that parts for these cars can be cheaper than Volvos of old, as the Ford Focus platform is sensationally common on the roads.

You can get corrosion on the rear subframe suspension components but these cars aren't known for MOT fails due to rust as I believe the main body is galvanized.

Please see my handy engine reference chart on which engines to avoid. As you are used to Toyota engine reliablity, you need to carefully consider which engine you choose, as not all engines in these cars are made by Volvo.

The 2.0i is (in my opinion) the best 'all rounder' for combining performance, good MPG and low maintainenceservice costs..... This will be quite similar to your Toyota engine.

The Volvo engines in these cars I would consider to be the premium engine options, as they are big 5 cylinder units with lots of power, and cost a bit more to tax, but all of the Volvo engines will do mega miles if service intervals are respected.

For reference the last "real" volvos (refered to as "P2 Volvos") were as follows:

2002-2014 Volvo XC90
2000-2009 Volvo S60
2000-2007 Volvo V70
1998-2006 Volvo S80

These are all great cars that will do huge mileages, but you can't run these on a shoestring budget as they are big, solidy engineered cars whereby the service intervals need to be respected.

Last edited by T5R92011; Dec 7th, 2019 at 20:39.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 09:57   #3
jimbo84

Thanks for all the information and the comprehensive engine info. I was looking at the 1.8 petrols as a diesel wouldn't get the usage they need to avoid problems and while the economy of the larger petrols doesn't seem too bad the tax takes a hefty hike above the 1.8 looking at the government website.

How much oil does the 1.8 burn typically? The toyota was the first car I've ever had that hasn't used oil so not alien to oil use.

I'm also finding out that these cars can be plagued with Electrical faults and faulty CEMs.
I'm convinced we're going backwards with car development not forwards
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 15:49   #4
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Would you consider the old shape Volvo V40 estate? Made between 1996 and 2004.

Yes they look a bit old, but if you can find a sports trim version they still look good when clean and shiny. Those cars share their platform with the Mitsubishi Carisma and are very reliable and they feel higher quality than the V50 that replaced it.

My favourite bit is that Volvo chopped down their big 5 cylinder engines into teeny 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 4 cylinder variants, so you'd be getting a premium Volvo engine that will do mega miles, but in lower capacity and tax versions... Not sure why Volvo didnt use these little engines in the newer V50s but I guess that was due to Ford's involvment in the business during that period.

A last of the line 2003 or 2004 version would be brilliant, in my opinion.

Below is a 1.6-litre (4 cylinder) version of the Volvo Modular engine:

Last edited by T5R92011; Dec 8th, 2019 at 17:02.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 05:01   #5
TheFiend
C30 R-Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo84 View Post
Thanks for all the information and the comprehensive engine info. I was looking at the 1.8 petrols as a diesel wouldn't get the usage they need to avoid problems and while the economy of the larger petrols doesn't seem too bad the tax takes a hefty hike above the 1.8 looking at the government website.

How much oil does the 1.8 burn typically? The toyota was the first car I've ever had that hasn't used oil so not alien to oil use.

I'm also finding out that these cars can be plagued with Electrical faults and faulty CEMs.
I'm convinced we're going backwards with car development not forwards
My current 2009 C30 1.8 with has done 71K and uses very little oil....only used 0.75L after 8200 miles in 14 months and it averages 39.5 MPG. I previously owned a Porsche 944 and that used a litre of oil per 1000 miles!!!

Electrical problems..... never had a single one in 6.5 years of C30 ownership
TheFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheFiend For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 10:37   #6
jimbo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
Would you consider the old shape Volvo V40 estate? Made between 1996 and 2004.

Yes they look a bit old, but if you can find a sports trim version they still look good when clean and shiny. Those cars share their platform with the Mitsubishi Carisma and are very reliable and they feel higher quality than the V50 that replaced it.

My favourite bit is that Volvo chopped down their big 5 cylinder engines into teeny 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 4 cylinder variants, so you'd be getting a premium Volvo engine that will do mega miles, but in lower capacity and tax versions... Not sure why Volvo didnt use these little engines in the newer V50s but I guess that was due to Ford's involvment in the business during that period.

A last of the line 2003 or 2004 version would be brilliant, in my opinion.

Below is a 1.6-litre (4 cylinder) version of the Volvo Modular engine:
Thanks, I didn't know about the v40 although I have seen them on the road. I'd be open to one but there aren't as many about and I notice they're all cambelt timed engines, I usually try and avoid cambelts like the plague.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 10:38   #7
jimbo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFiend View Post
My current 2009 C30 1.8 with has done 71K and uses very little oil....only used 0.75L after 8200 miles in 14 months and it averages 39.5 MPG. I previously owned a Porsche 944 and that used a litre of oil per 1000 miles!!!

Electrical problems..... never had a single one in 6.5 years of C30 ownership
That's reassuring to know both oil and electrical wise. I have been looking on here and seen some alarming oil consumption figures but glad to see it isn't all the 1.8s that suffer from it, just seems to be a small number of them.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 10:51   #8
Bendolfc
Premier Member

My 2.0D (Euro 3 so no DPF) uses no oil, never had to top it up and it's on 209K and no engine issues. No electrical issues either.

Wouldn't mind some faults to be honest as I want a change but am loath to get rid of a car thats been nothing but reliable (barring alternator & wheel bearing) in the past 9 years & 130K miles I've had it.

The **** poor dipped beam is one thing that does make me want rid though.

Last edited by Bendolfc; Dec 9th, 2019 at 11:05.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 15:23   #9
big yinn

I recently bought a 2008 V50 2lt petrol SE LUX and I'm very happy with it.
MPG around town and A roads is about 32mpg, 40mpg on motorways.
Mine is a little grotty underneath at the back, but I'm hoping to tidy that up in the spring.
From what I've read, CEM issues can produce random faults. I'm not 100% sure what causes, but sunroof drains go down the A pillar and can block, leaking water inside the car.
Mechanically, most Mk2 Focus running gear is a straight fit, which means it wont cost the earth to replace springs, shocks, brakes etc.
If you can find one with a Volvo service history, all the better.
Good luck and I hope you find a good one!
big yinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to big yinn For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 11:45   #10
Nick45

If you've pondered on T5R92011's comments above and are considering a V40, there's a very nice sport lux diesel on the forum at the moment. Remapped for a bit of extra poke too (not mine btw)

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=299750

£2k is upper end money for a V40 but then its an upper end example.
Nick45 is offline   Reply With Quote