Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 601867

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 12:15   #2091
ChrisFromFrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
All the 2.0 4 cyl VEA including D2 … the newer it is the less the problem . most later than 2017 are ok .. some of the older ones have had no problem ...

Hi Clan

I have huge problem with my14 V60 D4 181HP 8 speeds.
Full Volvo service history.
EGR cooler has been changed 3 times.

Since 83000kms, the engine needs 1 liter oil every 1200kms.
Leak test positive.
Need to remove the piston head (1500€) and probably to remove the pistons to see the pistons' rings...

No commercial gesture from Volvo France

Very very bad Volvo experience.

Is there many case like mine ?
My car is now unsaleable ...

Thanks
Christophe
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 11:59   #2092
ComradeBT

I've just discovered the main thread on the EGR cooler/emissions issue. I have had an independent thread running but thought to add my scenario to the issues many of you have had over time.

I own a V60 D4 R-Design. Bought directly from a Volvo dealership, serviced only by them since then. Here are my details:

Hello all. My first time onto the Volvo forum so please forgive me if this informaiton is a repetition of issues others have posted on previously.

At the end of Feb, an engine management warning light illuminated itself on my dash. I read that this could be an emissions warning problem so took my car into a Volvo dealership for investigation. Upon inspection (which cost me £80!) I was informed there was a EGR error which, from a download of the error codes, suggested there was a requirement for EGR cooler and also a 02 Sensor clear out.

I was told by the dealership the sensor had been cleared and then they thought (there wasn't absolute clarification at all on this) the best steps were to have an EGR valve/EGR cooler replace (A 25411 code) at a cost of £221 and also the following:

M V31370267 N/STOCK Gasket (at a cost of £20)
M V31370981 03C02 Gasket (at a cost of £18)
M V32213478 N/STK Gasket (at a cost of £9)
M V00988939 N/STOCK Sems screw (at a cost of £10)
M V36011509 N/STK EGR COOLER, EX (at a cost of £365)

A total of £684 + VAT !!!!!

All of the above came with no definition of what the issue might be, merely a suggestion there could be a problem with the emissions and that the recommended approach (read from a print out the engineer was quoting from, rather than a response formed from a personal knowledge base). When pressed by myself on whether the issue was owing to a build-up of diesel particles in the exhaust I was told "Yes, that could be the case". It was totally unconvincing in response and at a total cost to me of £821 to fix the 'problem' I am wholly unconvinced.

The dealership simply expected me to give them the nod to get the work done there and then and seemed non-plussed when I suggested I need to read up about this supposed issue rather than handing them over a 'blank cheque'.

About 2 hours after leaving the dealership, the warning light returned to the dash inside my car.

I was provided with a 4-page print-out from the dealership which includes the below:

VST Operation Number
98624-2 - cooling system EGR, modifying acc. to TJ 30887
36001-2 - diagnostic trouble codes read / reset / known Diagnostic trouble codes with VIDA

DTC Diagnostic Trouble Codes
ECU - ECM P04D900
DTC - P04D900
Fault Type - Permanent

Text Description
* SPA vehicles removed since they are not involved
If Check Engine Light has been lit and DTC ECM P04D900 may have been posted, follow instructions under "Service". Reason for clogging may be ambient conditions, driving habits fuel content or a combination of these.

Service:
Follow attached instruction. To get correct hose kit and instruction, please see attachment "Variants EGR cooler rebuilding.xlsl". For any other DTC, follow fault tracing in VIDA. This TJ is only valid for DTC ECM P04D900

-- since gleaning some helpful advice by a couple of posters on here I spoke to the dealership, enquiring over the goodwill Volvo UK were providing to vehicle owners in covering the cost for 50% of the valve replacement and 100% for the EGR cooler. I was told it would be investigated and I would be called back to clarify. I heard nothing for 10 days. Upon contacting the dealership once more, I was told there was nothing which can be done and that dealership had helped as much as possible - to which I told them that was complete nonsense considering:

1) they had merely read a download of codes off a computer print-out
2) had no idea what the issue was
3) fully expected me to pay the whole cost there & then without any knowledge on what the problem was
4) failed to respond to me when contacting them about Volvo UK's position of goodwill payments
5) actually thought they were doing a good job

I feel completely let down by this particular Volvo dealership and am left in a position where I have to contact Volvo UK HQ directly.

Have any others on here spoken to the HQ in Maidenhead directly?
ComradeBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 07:37   #2093
mbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeBT View Post
Sorry to hear about your issues, really poor by the dealership.

I've had equally poor responses from dealerships on a separate issue, but found Volvo UK to be very helpful.
mbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 08:02   #2094
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Shrewsbury Volvo were very helpful. Their IT system links directly to Volvo UK and gives a real-time, automated response to goodwill requests (presumably only for previously-acknowleged problems, such as the EGR cooler), I just had to answer a few straightforward questions and the goodwill payments were immediately authorised. The service adviser seemed genuinely happy for me!
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 16:53   #2095
dsc146294

Default ERG cleaning - dumb question

Hello,

I need some help in identifying the engine components of our 2014 V60 D4. I have been unable to find manuals or anything on line that helps. I am OK on petrol cars but modern diesels are terra incognito for me. I want to try cleaning the EGR, I have EGR cleaner and the instructions say to 'remove the flexible hose located between the turbo charger or intercooler and the air intake'.

My issue is that the engine bay of our V60 reminds me of a 1970's Dinky Toy - the engine is covered by two plastic boxes and you can't see the individual components. Obviously I will be removing these but what I would like to find is a diagram or photo showing the engine layout.
Any idea where I can find something like this? Or could anyone describe to me the basic layout.

Thanks

BTW Engine check light first came on at 2 years & 20k miles, dealer fixed it, then again at 3 years & 30k miles immediately after a service - dealer fixed it - its now on again 6 months after the last service at 45k miles and the fault code points to the EGR being dirty.

Last edited by dsc146294; Apr 18th, 2019 at 16:54. Reason: Mis-spelling
dsc146294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 18:02   #2096
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc146294 View Post
Hello,

I need some help in identifying the engine components of our 2014 V60 D4. I have been unable to find manuals or anything on line that helps. I am OK on petrol cars but modern diesels are terra incognito for me. I want to try cleaning the EGR, I have EGR cleaner and the instructions say to 'remove the flexible hose located between the turbo charger or intercooler and the air intake'.

My issue is that the engine bay of our V60 reminds me of a 1970's Dinky Toy - the engine is covered by two plastic boxes and you can't see the individual components. Obviously I will be removing these but what I would like to find is a diagram or photo showing the engine layout.
Any idea where I can find something like this? Or could anyone describe to me the basic layout.

Thanks

BTW Engine check light first came on at 2 years & 20k miles, dealer fixed it, then again at 3 years & 30k miles immediately after a service - dealer fixed it - its now on again 6 months after the last service at 45k miles and the fault code points to the EGR being dirty.
You really need to go to your dealer as a first move , there should be help available to you depending what the code is .. It is very difficult to remove the egr valve/ cooler they both have to come off together as one then separated . If you do anything yourself any forthcoming help will probably be void .
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 06:36   #2097
ChrisFromFrance

Hi

Clan is true.
As it is a common issue with those VEA 4 cylinders engines, you have to go at a Volvo Dealer to have the EGR change.
My V60 D4 181 2014 has its EGR changed 3 times. 100% covered by Volvo (car out of warranty).

But now the engine burns oil...and that an other problem (not recognize by Volvo)

Regards
Old Apr 28th, 2019, 20:00   #2098
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromFrance View Post
It seems that there are 2 differents case on these VEA engines:

EGR valve should have been replaced once.

EGR Cooler:
1st case:
The engines with only the final EGR Cooler seem not suffering from oil consumption.

2nd case:
The engines with intermediate EGR cooler fix (2016) and then with the final EGR Cooler seem suffering from oil consumption.

Is this intermediate fix responsible of clogging intakes valves, piston rings ...
An interesting theory, but what is the link between oil consumption and more than one cooler replacement? Does the oil burning block up the cooler?

I've owned my car since July last year, then had it serviced in February this year, then shortly after the service it needed a replacement EGR valve and cooler (the second time the cooler has been replaced). Just over a week ago I got a message to 'add 0.5L oil'...
Old May 4th, 2019, 14:51   #2099
Volvov602015

Default Egr and Eml

Hi folks. So a quick update.

After resetting the diagnostic fault myself using a snap on and driving the car 100 miles it finally went into Volvo dealership.

The dealer diagnostic showed no faults stored except for low engine oil (2 litres I was told).

The dealership charged me £50 for the diagnostic and topped the oil up.

Only time will tell if the EGR fault code will come back. The engine oil level has stayed at the same level (for now).

The car is running fine apart from a slight rough idle if I was to be picky. Bought Liqui moly diesel purge but haven't a clue how to use it or even if it's possible with a D4 engine.

Engine: D4204T5
Mileage: 145,000
Volvov602015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 15:48   #2100
Craig S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeBT View Post

I feel completely let down by this particular Volvo dealership and am left in a position where I have to contact Volvo UK HQ directly.

ComradeBT,

I have had to get Volvo UK involved in relation to my issues with the EGR Cooler. (The gist of which is on the thread in a few posts).

Long and short of it was the local dealer never bothered to do anything regarding this, despite the fact that I was very certain that I was entitled to a contribution to the cost of the repairs. In my case it was only the EGR Cooler that needed replaced.

An e-mail to Volvo UK, outlining the fact that this is a known issue, that you bought volvo for its reputation for building highly reliable cars etc, making sure that you provide details of any servicing carried out which would not appear on the Volvo HQ system e.g. servicing by an independent garage etc.

That was the main sticking point for me, in that if you have not had the vehicle serviced in the Volvo Dealer Network, the first port of call is to reject it on the basis that the vehicle has not been serviced in line with the manufacturer schedule.

I hope this is of help to you.

Craig
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote