Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 598947

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 29th, 2019, 20:38   #2171
Turnwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash300 View Post
Ditto. It would appear that high mileage use is an advantage with most modern diesels such as the VEA engine in keeping them 'blown through' if you know what I mean. With my XC60 2015 I have just clicked over 100k with a significant amount of that towing; so worked quite hard. Main dealer serviced from new and had the EGR fix early on at about 30k, and since no other problems. Compared to its predecessor BMW 5 Series 2.5 diesel nightmare the Volvo has acquitted itself very well so far. Will it do another 100k? Here's hoping! Anybody managed it yet?
I'd like to think I might be the first 200k VEA engine owner on the forum I bought a fairly early one and averaged 32k miles per year during the first four years. All being well this will see me through to the electric car revolution!

Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 10:33   #2172
Hilton
C J

Smile Resolution...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnwood View Post
I am in the same position as you up to a point, but I am already at 137k miles on the clock and planning on running it up to north of 200k. It will therefore be pretty much worthless by the time I get rid anyway!
I run a MY 17 XC60 D4 now at 32K miles. As this manifold/EGR cooler seems to affect all current 4 pot diesels, I'm guessing that Volvo will have to resolve and support owners of the entire VEA inventory, to avoid a massive PR issue.
Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 08:38   #2173
D4dilemma

it’s good news not every VEA engine suffers continual EGR issues, but a 200 plus page blog indicates a significant number do. Dealers having a number of engines fail cylinder leakage tests is another reasonable indicator. Whether this is due to variations in manufacture or mileage covered will be best known by Volvo via the complaints and goodwill requests they receive. Clearly there would be no problem (but very few sales either) if a manufacturer sold cars which had to cover say minimum 30,000 miles PA mainly cruising.....
For the significant number affected by the EGR issue a link I found by searching “cause of manifold melting” may be informative. On a site called “PistonHeads” the exact same melting and potential fire symptoms are described as affecting some BMWs in 2018. The fault was again obviously in the EGR system whereby glycol contamination from the cooler made for combustible deposits. Volvo’s VEA problem may not be identical but it remains the case other than air, the only stuff entering the engine via the manifold comes from the EGR system. So whether the EGR has two separate unresolved problems or one massive one is one for them to puzzle out. Whether anybody knowing that would buy a still on sale 2019 car subject to Recall with no published fix is probably easier to answer.....
D4dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D4dilemma For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 21:17   #2174
Scotty88

Default P04D9 and engine performance reduced

Hi all, first time posting.
I recently purchased a ‘new to me’ v60 d4 r-design that developed a check engine light that was P04D9 and had an engine performance reduced message displayed on the drive home. Unfortunately, I bought the car in Wigan and I live in the north of Scotland so it’s not the easiest to deal with the garage to sort the warranty. They allowed me to take it to a local garage who told me what I already knew about the check engine code being an egr fault but when they looked they said it appeared to be a brand new egr valve and there was a rusty pin on a multi-way plug so that was cleaned off and test drove with no fault. I took the car back and within 10 miles the light is back.
Anyone have any ideas?
Scotty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 21:46   #2175
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty88 View Post
Hi all, first time posting.
I recently purchased a ‘new to me’ v60 d4 r-design that developed a check engine light that was P04D9 and had an engine performance reduced message displayed on the drive home. Unfortunately, I bought the car in Wigan and I live in the north of Scotland so it’s not the easiest to deal with the garage to sort the warranty. They allowed me to take it to a local garage who told me what I already knew about the check engine code being an egr fault but when they looked they said it appeared to be a brand new egr valve and there was a rusty pin on a multi-way plug so that was cleaned off and test drove with no fault. I took the car back and within 10 miles the light is back.
Anyone have any ideas?
Normally that code would indicate a blocked EGR cooler.
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 22:15   #2176
Rex65

I got an amber warning light today with a pending P04D9 according to my code reader.
I'm abroad currently with around 1500 miles to do before I get home......
Wondering what my chances are!
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 07:01   #2177
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex65 View Post
I got an amber warning light today with a pending P04D9 according to my code reader.
I'm abroad currently with around 1500 miles to do before I get home......
Wondering what my chances are!
You'll be fine, it doesn't affect running if the EGR system is blocked.
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 15:04   #2178
Scotty88

My car is now going into the nearest Volvo to get looked at. The problem cleared and I managed to throw the car around some back roads for a good 40 mile. Switched off to refuel and back on bam! Code straight back. This is not fun
Scotty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 10:51   #2179
D4dilemma

Default Report EGR faults to Honest John

This thread and the Fire Risk (keep sniffing for smoke and watch this space) Recall thread are essentially about the same thing. The long running issue of EGR system faults affecting a significant number of VEA 1969cc diesel engined (commonly D4 but others too possibly) cars. The faults have continued and developed into seriously expensive issues AFTER the circa 2016 "permanent fix" which apparently stopped the floods of EGR valve blockages but allowed bigger problems to continue
Typical faults on all threads (and I am assured as presented to dealers) go from warning lights and sensors etc to include blocked coolers, inlet manifolds and engine "hesitation" caused by inlet valve obstruction. The current Inlet Manifold fire risk recall is clearly also EGR related as other than air the only materials entering it come via the EGR. BMWs recent identical fire risk symptoms were EGR related. Any fix around the EGR will highlight the whole range of expensive non safety issues, which Volvo have been dodging, presumably hoping passage of time and eventual premature scrapping would make go away. Going by the almost £4,000 paid to me they must have spent millions in "goodwill" to pacify complainers and avoid admitting failure of the "contractually binding" permanent fix promise. By their own figures that's affecting potentially 70,000 cars in the UK alone.....
After exchange of emails with Honest John (of his award winning motoring website) he has already put some of the key EGR questions to Volvo. Not least is around the position of those buying or just bought 2019 cars... Unlike some other publications he doesn't just regurgitate makers PR, for example his writing on VW 1.5 TSi petrol engine current issues.
He accepts there are loads of online EGR posts including on his own website, but to officially evaluate evidence of any underlying issue on Volvo's part asks for details of car, owner and post fix fault to be emailed to "letters@honestjohn.co.uk". He requests 200 words max. If Volvo have been less than honest with their customers he may be well placed to find out....I suggest it is in the interests of all concerned to do so
D4dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D4dilemma For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 14:22   #2180
John90

Default Problem reappeared

The snake oil fix was only semi - permanent, with the light coming back on after just under 3k miles, so it is going in for investigation tomorrow while also having recall done. Will update on what they say, hopefully a very positive experience!
John90 is offline   Reply With Quote