Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 599368

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 14:43   #2231
AB100

We have just covered 2500 miles around Scotland and our xc60 hasnt missed a beat.
Not that many fuel stations around the highlands with premium diesel, so we use Millers additive, not really sure if it helps or not, but after 26k miles no apparent problems so far. Consumption on each tank full was a smidge under 51mpg.
The only bone of contention is the rubbish sat nav.
Ours will be 3 next March so also looking at a replacement, which is not easy, as many cars are simply not available due to the revised testing procedure manufacturers are forced to go throgh with each model (As one dealer advised us).
As for the Superb, we have been looking in that direction. We previously ran a 2L Passat estate to 175k miles, with no problems apart from the electric handbrake and rear tyre wear.
Plenty of room inside with a more useful boot than the xc60 (longer but not as high). Used to get the electric cool box behind the front seats too, which is impossible in the Volvo.
Our son has an Octavia, similar 2L diesel, now 4 years old and has had no problems, so looking for similar.
Only problem we have seen(Apart from the obvious diesel issues) is the auto transmission on the smaller VAG engines, and apparently there have been problems with the 1.5 petrol engine across the ranges.
As for forum information, if you look on the Audi/VW ones, be prepared for a long night!
AB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AB100 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 07:34   #2232
ChrisFromFrance

Hi

Some news of our problem seen on Volvo Spain WebSite.

¿En qué consistirá la solución?

La acción correctiva que estamos desarrollando para todos los vehículos afectados consiste en disponer del último software de hollín, incluyendo la "supervisión de las válvulas de admisión". La "supervisión" detectará una válvula de admisión con fugas y apagará el cilindro afectado. Esto provocará la aparición de un mensaje de advertencia en la DIM y que el conductor del vehículo advierta menor potencia y un funcionamiento inusual del motor. Esto evitará que se produzcan daños en el vano motor.

https://www.volvocars.com/ES/R29939
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 07:45   #2233
SeaShell

Google translate says:--

What will the solution consist of?

The corrective action that we are developing for all the affected vehicles consists in having the latest soot software, including the "intake valve monitoring". "Supervision" will detect a leaking intake valve and turn off the affected cylinder. This will cause the appearance of a warning message in the DIM and that the driver of the vehicle notices less power and unusual engine operation. This will prevent damage to the engine compartment.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeaShell For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 08:00   #2234
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaShell View Post
Google translate says:--

What will the solution consist of?

The corrective action that we are developing for all the affected vehicles consists in having the latest soot software, including the "intake valve monitoring". "Supervision" will detect a leaking intake valve and turn off the affected cylinder. This will cause the appearance of a warning message in the DIM and that the driver of the vehicle notices less power and unusual engine operation. This will prevent damage to the engine compartment.
So Volvo aren't going to modify affected VEA engines to prevent problems developing, merely introduce a monitoring system so it's more obvious when it eventually fails? Fantastic news...
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 08:10   #2235
Hilton
C J

Default Not encouraging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
So Volvo aren't going to modify affected VEA engines to prevent problems developing, merely introduce a monitoring system so it's more obvious when it eventually fails? Fantastic news...
This is depressing news for my retirement car (67 plate VEA D4). So when one or more of my cylinders is shut down, will Volvo fund the investigation and repairs ?
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 08:39   #2236
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton View Post
This is depressing news for my retirement car (67 plate VEA D4). So when one or more of my cylinders is shut down, will Volvo fund the investigation and repairs ?
I don't see how they could refuse to do so, although hopefully they will confirm that 100% goodwill shall cover this long-standing design flaw.
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 08:44   #2237
Hilton
C J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
I don't see how they could refuse to do so, although hopefully they will confirm that 100% goodwill shall cover this long-standing design flaw.
That is what I would hope too. More fingers crossed then !
I notice the Volvo UK site is not currently showing the Spanish version describing the "corrective action".
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 09:18   #2238
SeaShell

I suppose the details on the Spanish site should be read with caution as the solution for the UK market may be different.
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 09:55   #2239
volvo s60 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaShell View Post
I suppose the details on the Spanish site should be read with caution as the solution for the UK market may be different.

Well the solution is exactly the same. I was at the dealer few minutes ago for this exact fix plus the new coolant hoses (which has never been done), but what happened is that they 'fixed' another car couple of days ago and one of the software (they are two new softwares) has shown some bugs and Volvo decided to suspend all repairs until they issue the fixed software. So I'll be waiting for a call when everything is resolved. The technician explained to me (don't remember the exact words and I don't mind to be corrected if I say anything wrong) that with the new softwares the ECU will monitor the compression in each cylinder and if there is difference in one of them due to a leak, the injector will stop the fuel supply which means this will trigger the EML. But what will be next step if this happens is unknown.
Let's hope this will never happen to anyone, because you don't know in what situation we can be and all this noise is just precaution!
volvo s60 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 10:18   #2240
SeaShell

Thanks for that..

Mine has had all the valves fixed, however I was informed that with low mileage driving the problem will most likely occur again.

Joy!