Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Engine Coolant

Views : 6102

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 29th, 2019, 20:54   #1
bradley221985

Default XC60 Engine Coolant

Was driving home today and every time I went round a right hand bend a message would briefly pop up saying engine coolant level low, so when I got home I checked it and it was on minimum. It's a 2013 D5 AWD. Is there any specific coolant I should use?
bradley221985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2019, 22:47   #2
Mick787

I'm getting the same message when I brake firmly in my D5 AWD MY2016. I've just purchased the coolant to top it up from these guys. (It isn't going to need much). My normal dealership told me to add a bit of water when they told me they didn't have any coolant in stock and didn't offer to get any in! (There are other suppliers of this product.).

http://https://www.volvopartshop.com...itre-768-p.asp
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2019, 23:44   #3
jasmith44
jasmith44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick787 View Post
I'm getting the same message when I brake firmly in my D5 AWD MY2016. I've just purchased the coolant to top it up from these guys. (It isn't going to need much). My normal dealership told me to add a bit of water when they told me they didn't have any coolant in stock and didn't offer to get any in! (There are other suppliers of this product.).

http://https://www.volvopartshop.com...itre-768-p.asp
Unable to connect to the link.Volvo coolant is the best for these cars and last for years and years.
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 10:28   #4
bradley221985

Got my Volvo coolant and went to top it up and realised the stuff that's already in there is orange/brown where as the Volvo stuff is green. Don't want to mix them but have no idea what is already in there.
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 10:39   #5
theblackhole

Default Maybe this will help

It from another site by a user named Grumpy. Thank you Grumpy.
'What color coolant should I put in?

Before doing anything, it’s a good idea to check your owners manual. If it calls out a specific coolant, you already found your answer. As with sparkplugs, coolant is one of those things that are best kept to the manual, so follow it’s words and you should be in great shape. Another quick way, although less reliable, is to see what is currently in the car. I say less reliable because many times previous owners will flush a system with the wrong coolant (usually when changing a cooling system component) and be unaware of their mistake. Some types of coolants aren’t compatible with each other.
Can I mix different colors?

The ultimate answer is no. Mixing different styles of coolant can lead to accelerated degradation of your cooling system and can cause all sorts of problems. To best understand this, it’s a good idea to do a quick explanation of what the different types are. Coolant color is NOT a sure fire way to tell what kind of coolant is in the car, the type of corrosion inhibitors used ARE'
Green/Yellow:https://ozvolvo.org/discussion/3785/coolant-explained
theblackhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 12:08   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradley221985 View Post
Got my Volvo coolant and went to top it up and realised the stuff that's already in there is orange/brown where as the Volvo stuff is green. Don't want to mix them but have no idea what is already in there.
you need to drain and flush that old stuff out and use the genuine volvo blue/green coolant it will last you many many years , there is no changing interval ...
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 19:00   #7
ianrmz250

I did exactly what Clan said and replaced the orange coolant with the genuine Volvo coolant when i changed my radiator 2 years ago.
i just gave the system a full flush with deionised water from Halfords and then mixed 50/50 with Volvo coolant and had no trouble since.
ianrmz250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 19:30   #8
bradley221985

Is this easy to do? Never done it before. Could you please explain how to do it.
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 20:10   #9
Toprivetguns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you need to drain and flush that old stuff out and use the genuine volvo blue/green coolant it will last you many many years , there is no changing interval ...

What this man said in regards to the coolant.

It is a shame some many genuine volvo radiators are failing. It almost worth a vote.
Toprivetguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 11:26   #10
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradley221985 View Post
Just for info, the antifreeze in mine is an orange/yellow colour with no hint of green. The car has only ever been serviced/repaired at Volvo, including having a partial drain and refill in the last year for a replacement EGR cooler (the second time this has been done). Shrewsbury Volvo say it looks perfectly normal, so I can only conclude that Volvo antifreeze comes in more than one colour?

Colour is no indication of type, btw.