Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Alternator Belt

Views : 2059

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2019, 14:58   #11
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

Is there perhaps an aftermarket kit for this? A failing alternator belt causing so much damage is ridiculous and shoddy design.
Add this to melting manifolds,EGR issues and a recall which is not a recall but maybe is a recall, makes me wish that I had gone with a CRV.

Last edited by marsdalebear; Dec 6th, 2019 at 15:01.
marsdalebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 00:12   #12
hancym
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsdalebear View Post
Is there perhaps an aftermarket kit for this? A failing alternator belt causing so much damage is ridiculous and shoddy design.
Add this to melting manifolds,EGR issues and a recall which is not a recall but maybe is a recall, makes me wish that I had gone with a CRV.
Yes there is I think some Russian or Polish bloke makes them and sells them. Think I saw them on eBay possibly

Found it!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-2-4...-/183973169152

Last edited by hancym; Dec 8th, 2019 at 00:34. Reason: Found it!
hancym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hancym For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 11:32   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancym View Post
Yes there is I think some Russian or Polish bloke makes them and sells them. Think I saw them on eBay possibly

Found it!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-2-4...-/183973169152
this has not been tested though , i'm not sure it would deal with the massive forces when a belt comes off . Easier just to change the belt every 54000 miles ...
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 14:48   #14
hancym
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
this has not been tested though , i'm not sure it would deal with the massive forces when a belt comes off . Easier just to change the belt every 54000 miles ...
I agree it's not tested but all my 38 years of engineering is telling me that a belt isn't going to bypass a bit of 3mm steel easier than a bit of casing so thin you could spit through it (as my grandmother used to say), so this must therefore by a process of attrition only add benefit. Yes, one could change the belt at regular interval as well because this isn't a belt life extender but what happens when one changes the belt and it breaks 15 months later.
hancym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 15:40   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancym View Post
I agree it's not tested but all my 38 years of engineering is telling me that a belt isn't going to bypass a bit of 3mm steel easier than a bit of casing so thin you could spit through it (as my grandmother used to say), so this must therefore by a process of attrition only add benefit. Yes, one could change the belt at regular interval as well because this isn't a belt life extender but what happens when one changes the belt and it breaks 15 months later.
find the cause ,chase it up with whoever did the job , verify they used a genuine belt ... this is far from normal and is very rare and worrying to hear i have only heard about it on here ... a new volvo belt won't break without something causing it ..
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 21:07   #16
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
find the cause ,chase it up with whoever did the job , verify they used a genuine belt ... this is far from normal and is very rare and worrying to hear i have only heard about it on here ... a new volvo belt won't break without something causing it ..
Don't disagree with that BUT if when the belt snaps, however rare and however caused, it could foul the cam belt and destroy the head leading to £3k+ repair costs,then SURELY you can expect the manufacturer to design something like this?
marsdalebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 22:00   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsdalebear View Post
Don't disagree with that BUT if when the belt snaps, however rare and however caused, it could foul the cam belt and destroy the head leading to £3k+ repair costs,then SURELY you can expect the manufacturer to design something like this?
That design has been around since 2007 when they reduced the width and thickness of the Aux belts , previously perfect. They should have made a minor alteration to the cover after a year or so ... But we don't know how long before the first breakages , it was certainly not common but can happen ... maybe there is a criteria of so many occurrences of a fault ..before they can do anything ..
Old Dec 17th, 2019, 01:13   #18
steve 1550

I have a 62 plate D5 and my head had to be fixed due to a belt failure at 46,000. I don't understand why Volvo don't use a chain belt to reduce the risk of failure.
steve 1550 is offline   Reply With Quote