Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2012 xc60 t5 turbo issue

Views : 1451

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2019, 19:23   #11
DT19
Master Member

My turbo had a FoMoCo label on it so I looked at Ford parts first. In the end I went for a new Borg Warner complete unit as it seems you can't get the turbo and manifold seperately.

Oddly, on the ST250 (which uses the same engine) Ford have used a cast manifold instead of the one Volvo used made from two layers of sheet steel pressed together. Borg Warner have also revised the unit and issued new part numbers about 15 times. This engine is also used in the Jaguar XF and Range Rover Evoque so you might be able to expand your search using that info.

It's important to make sure your engine is flushed out thoroughly and then has new oil and filter. I changed the oil and filter again after 2000 and 5000 miles just to be on the safe side.

The other plus with a new unit it the 12 month warranty and I didn't fancy taking a gamble on a reconditioned one just to saves a bit of money.
DT19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 22:17   #12
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT19 View Post
Oddly, on the ST250 (which uses the same engine) Ford have used a cast manifold instead of the one Volvo used made from two layers of sheet steel pressed together.
Sounds a lot like GM and Saab. The Swedish companies did things differently for the sake of it, one disappeared and the other became Chinese owned. I have visited Sweden many times on business, have a lot of Swedish friends. Their way is the only way as far as Automotive things are concerned
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 03:21   #13
wagits

Quote:
My turbo had a FoMoCo label on it so I looked at Ford parts first. In the end I went for a new Borg Warner complete unit as it seems you can't get the turbo and manifold seperately.

Oddly, on the ST250 (which uses the same engine) Ford have used a cast manifold instead of the one Volvo used made from two layers of sheet steel pressed together. Borg Warner have also revised the unit and issued new part numbers about 15 times. This engine is also used in the Jaguar XF and Range Rover Evoque so you might be able to expand your search using that info.

It's important to make sure your engine is flushed out thoroughly and then has new oil and filter. I changed the oil and filter again after 2000 and 5000 miles just to be on the safe side.

The other plus with a new unit it the 12 month warranty and I didn't fancy taking a gamble on a reconditioned one just to saves a bit of money.

So found a mob in Sydney Australia. Not sure of I can mention their name on this board, so I wont for now. Anyway $1880 AUD, (about 976Pounds) for a brand new original Warner unit and exhaust manifold. Have no idea how much its going to cost to fit. Fortunately mechanic is my brother-in-law, so will get the wife to have a word in his ear lol. I could have bought one from wreckers, coming in at 441 pounds. But the thought that the exhaust manifold could just shatter again anytime after its put in, its just not worth it. Hopefully the new exhaust manifolds are better built than the older ones. I wonder if the exhaust manifolds on these ecoboost motors fitted in different cars are all the same shape (apart from difference you mentioned earlier). So will a exhaust manifold from the jag, rover, or ford, fit straight onto the volvo. Anyway, car is getting an oil change, brakes and fluid done, coolant replaced, all ready for the holiday trip.

I wonder how many volvo owners with the same spec car have had this issue. In my opinion, Volvo should be held responsible for inferior engineering thinking on their manifold design.
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 19:59   #14
DT19
Master Member

Best of luck with it.

I'm sorry to see someone else in the same position I was, it's a messy business to sort out but I still love my T5 and at least now it's done I know I don't need to worry about it happening again, at least until the turbo warranty runs out.

I've been looking into the idea of changing the manifold for a cast one (some of the Borg Warner part numbers for this unit show a cast one).

The benefits of the steel manifold are supposed to be reduced external heat, reduced noise and some other waffle but I forget what they said. It seems obvious to me that to weld two sheets of steel together with an air gap between them and then expose them to extreme heating and cooling cycles might cause them to expand and contract leading to stress fractures and failure.

Then again, I'm not a boffin, just the mug who has to pay to correct these daft ideas.
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 13:08   #15
wagits

DT19, I read your PM but I cannot reply (I need to have 30 posts).

I saw those on Ebay but mechanic advised against it. He has come across one before, a customer provided. He had to make some mods for it to fit, wasn't a volvo.
Mine is all done now and car finally has power. Now I want to sort out a few other issues. Will search first before I post.
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 19:12   #16
DT19
Master Member

Good, I'm pleased you got it sorted. The one I pointed out did seem a bit cheap but if the cast manifold won't fit I'll forget it for now.
Old Dec 18th, 2019, 06:38   #17
wagits

Quote:
Good, I'm pleased you got it sorted. The one I pointed out did seem a bit cheap but if the cast manifold won't fit I'll forget it for now.
It may fit, my mechanic mentioned it was for another car, and had to do some filing. I didn't think it was worth it. Turbos are pretty tight in their tolerances. If you google there is a lot of comments from people that have fit them to their cars. Both good and bad.