Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1988 240 DL Estate (Northern Ireland)

Views : 609

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2020, 16:15   #1
CaptainAhab
Spanner ex machina

Default 1988 240 DL Estate (Northern Ireland)

2.3 Petrol
100600 miles

I’ve held off selling as long as I could, but I have to get him moved on before he starts to degrade through lack of use. Over the years I’ve owned him I’ve tried to get as much of the worn mechanical stuff replaced as possible, but I now need a car that requires less time and effort. The last job was lapping in the valves / decarbonising the cylinders and replacing the valve stem seals. Whatever I’m doing when installing the seals results in them getting crushed, there is still one gone after having the head off three times, and really that was the last straw for me. It’s been off the road for about a year now as I haven’t the heart to try again and also didn’t want to sell, but here we are. The engine still runs / starts / pulls well, it just smokes past the seal. Compression is uniform and good. The car has been moved regularly as it’s in the way of another car, so it’s not just been sitting.

Bodywork: There is one large piece of rust (pictured) and the bottom of the tailgate is a bit rough, but other than that it’s just spots and is solid. The underside is covered in that thick black sealant stuff and is in good nick. The paint and black trim are as you might expect on a 32 year old car, but it’s all there. There are a couple of new hockey stick trims that come with the car. Replaced the headlight reflectors and both the rear light clusters. Bonnet hinges replaced 2012, working well. Tailgate gas struts replaced 2016.

Engine: The carb was changed from the original Solex to a 32/34 DMTL Weber from a 740, topped with a K&N. V cam installed. New cam belt last year. Pulsair and EGR systems removed. The exhaust is a custom stainless single box job, the manifold is the Skandix tubular item from Simons altered for right hand drive. I was let down on an order for a full stainless system and had to do the best I could here as I’d already chucked the old stuff. Replacement HT coil, leads, cap, rotor and plugs. Radiator replaced 2014, coolant changed regularly. Exide Premium battery March 17 (awesome battery). Funky red cam cover!

Transmission : The 4 speed lunched itself a while ago so I took the opportunity to change it to an M47 to get better economy. Replacement driveshaft and bolts all balanced. I replaced the clutch, release bearing and spigot bearing at the same time. New master cylinder 2014.

Suspension / brakes : New rear springs fitted 2013, also fitted Grayson assistors. Trailing arm bushes replaced with polys (both). New droplinks 2016. New front lower ball joints come with the car. Tyres (Firestones) have 15000 miles on them, still in good nick, tread 3-4mm all round. Good spare. Both front calipers replaced 2016.

Interor: Grey cloth seats in good condition, very light wear. No stereo. Plastic Volvo floor mats all round. 4 head rests. Headcloth good.

Paperwork etc: Loads of receipts, original user manual and folders, 2 keys, Green Haynes manual, original first aid kit (I think).

Spares / not on car (not for sale separately):

M47 gearbox
Roof rack (homemade by others but works well)
Volvo bolt-on towbar (and spare number plate for trailer)
Full set of Poly bushes (Classic Swede)
2 x plain black rear hockey stick trims / clips.
Spare 32/34 DMTL Weber
Old Solex carb
Original intake tract / manifold / EGR system / Pulsair system
New fuel pump
Spare power steering pump.
4 new front caliper flexible lines (Brookhouse)
Rear brake shoes
Volvo OEM oil filter

It’s a good running refurb project car with plenty already done. I would really like an enthusiast to get it and not the banger racing guys, so it’s not listed anywhere else right now. Please save him and get him pretty again!

Car is SORNed / no MoT.
I’m looking £1500 but happy to discuss.
All queries to robinchapple13@gmail.com initially please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front 3 quarter.jpg (349.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Side.jpg (353.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Drivers sill.jpg (215.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Paperwork.jpg (232.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Spares.jpg (346.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Engine.jpg (226.6 KB, 27 views)
Old Sep 24th, 2020, 17:09   #2
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Would love to be able to save this but I just don't have the money

If you are on Facebook find the Retro Volvo NI page and list it there, I'm sure it would sell quickly as the 240 is very desirable!

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2020, 18:03   #3
CaptainAhab
Spanner ex machina

Thanks mate, will do!