Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Changing the fuel filter

Views : 557

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2020, 09:48   #1
Bashy
Aged Member

Default Changing the fuel filter

Hi folks, just reading on Vida re changing the fuel filter, im going to do it now seen as ive already done the oil/filter and the air filter....

It looks like its in the tank (underneath)?
I take it i will lose whatever fuel is left in there?
Whats the idea of lifting the front of the tank please? seems counterintuitive (big word day) as the fuel will tip back wont it?

Anything i need to be aware of or is it really as straight forward as it looks?

Re the filter itself, there are many on ebay, what makes should i be looking out for please and some come with the o-ring and some dont so i assume i at least need the large o-ring included?
Thanks...
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 13:40   #2
Brendan W
Premier Member

Underneath in front of the rear offside wheel.
Two types, a metal spin on and a plastic type with a replaceable insert. You probably have the latter. They can be a pig to loosen off. Search threads here.
leave it until the tank is less than 1/3 full. You shouldn't lose much if any fuel. Refill the bowl before refitting and when going to restart cycle the in tank pump a few times to get fuel up in the system. Otherwise it can take a lot of cranking.
No bleeding required.
There is a lot of very expensive gear downstream from that filter and I have stayed with oem for that reason. If I had to I would choose Mann.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 16:19   #3
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

May the force be with you. You may need it
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 16:28   #4
Bashy
Aged Member

Thanks, looks like i need a special tool, found some on the bay, can an impact wrench be used on it or is that not wise?
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 17:37   #5
Simmy
Premier Member

when i changed mine i just gripped it with both hands and un screwed it. it was tight if you have small hands you might need a tool good luck with your filter change
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 02:45   #6
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
when i changed mine i just gripped it with both hands and un screwed it. it was tight if you have small hands you might need a tool good luck with your filter change
Thanks Simmy, more than likely will need the tool then as i have a bad back in general, not to mention i put it out even worse during that last g/b fluid change
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 12:54   #7
scrumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Thanks, looks like i need a special tool, found some on the bay, can an impact wrench be used on it or is that not wise?
NO, don't use an impact wrench. Use steady pressure with the proper tool. The cover may deflect a fair bit before loosening.
scrumper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scrumper For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 13:54   #8
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
can an impact wrench be used on it

Under no circumstances!!!!

It's a plastic housing and every one that I have changed, it always feels so tight that something will break but so far it never has.

The correct circular tool makes it much easier and allows the correct pressure to be exerted with no chance of slippage.

On reassembly, I always lubricate the threads and the new large O ring with a smear of diesel which lubricates everything nicely.

Be Gentle otherwise your wallet will take a kicking.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 03:56   #9
Bashy
Aged Member

Thanks guys, thought i'd best ask, glad i did lol servicing myself is all new to me