Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 D4 181 vs 190

Views : 9526

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Is there a big difference in d4 181 vs 190
Yes go for the 190 7 26.92%
No the 181 is still a strong engine. 19 73.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 14th, 2016, 09:15   #21
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Magpie View Post
The aux heater is the business.... programmed timer or remote control.
Or, of course, the simple solution of remote starting, allowed in Europe, but forbidden by UK insurers.
I asked about ways around this in an earlier post, but the only solutions seem to be almost as expensive as fitting a dedicated 'parking heater'. You can get these fitted ex-factory on the Touareg and also on the previous version of the Passat, but (due to lack of demand) not on the latest Passat. Volvo do not offer a factory option, which is a shame.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2016, 14:16   #22
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Or, of course, the simple solution of remote starting, allowed in Europe, but forbidden by UK insurers.
I asked about ways around this in an earlier post, but the only solutions seem to be almost as expensive as fitting a dedicated 'parking heater'. You can get these fitted ex-factory on the Touareg and also on the previous version of the Passat, but (due to lack of demand) not on the latest Passat. Volvo do not offer a factory option, which is a shame.
Nigel, from my days long gone as a coach driver, I remember that the best coaches on our fleet had 'webasto' auxiliary heaters fitted. That's because, in those days, diesel engines on our coaches found it very hard to keep the whole coach cozy on freezing mornings - especially if the engine wasn't being worked hard, e.g. bogged down in a city traffic jam at rush hour. There is little that upsets passengers more than being frozen on a coach!

http://www.webasto.com/gb/markets-pr...arking-heater/

These webasto heaters worked wonders. I see from a web search that webasto are still in business and that, for around £1.5k, they retrofit for any car. Price varies by car size and technology pack. Is this the solution you've perhaps been seeking?

Arianne
Old Feb 14th, 2016, 21:31   #23
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
Nigel, from my days long gone as a coach driver, I remember that the best coaches on our fleet had 'webasto' auxiliary heaters fitted. That's because, in those days, diesel engines on our coaches found it very hard to keep the whole coach cozy on freezing mornings - especially if the engine wasn't being worked hard, e.g. bogged down in a city traffic jam at rush hour. There is little that upsets passengers more than being frozen on a coach!

http://www.webasto.com/gb/markets-pr...arking-heater/

These webasto heaters worked wonders. I see from a web search that webasto are still in business and that, for around £1.5k, they retrofit for any car. Price varies by car size and technology pack. Is this the solution you've perhaps been seeking?

Arianne
Yes it is, either this or the Eberspächer model, which is very similar. It just seems a lot of money, although it is tempting. However, this winter seems to be turning into a damp squibb. Even at 1400ft, we have only had our third snowfall this winter during this weekend, and the lowest temperature this winter has been only a few degrees below zero. Nothing like the minus 14 we had in 2009/10.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
Old Feb 14th, 2016, 22:26   #24
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes it is, either this or the Eberspächer model, which is very similar. It just seems a lot of money, although it is tempting. However, this winter seems to be turning into a damp squibb. Even at 1400ft, we have only had our third snowfall this winter during this weekend, and the lowest temperature this winter has been only a few degrees below zero. Nothing like the minus 14 we had in 2009/10.
Yep, same here. This weekend we had plenty of snowfall across the whole weekend but no significant depth. It froze overnight, after a thaw, which made for some interesting issues this morning for those making an early move.

It's quite an investment to make. If money were no object then I would spec it. But money is an object and so I would personally need to leave it unticked on the options list. I can wrap up and use the heated seats, not an option for the 57 early morning commuters who were trying to sleep on the commute from Sittingbourne to The City in the dead of winter.

Best wishes, Arianne.
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 17:12   #25
Rocinante
Master Member

I put this on the post about remote starting, but it seems to have come up here as well. It's not quite remote starting, but it allows you to nip out to the car and leave it warming up in relative security, as you can leave the car locked. (you can't lock the car while running with the fob)

Open Car as normal.
Start Car,
Roll down drivers window
Get out car, with keys.
Close door and reach in through open window and press the lock button
reaching in open window, close the window, and pull your arm out before it closes.
Car is now running and locked.
When returning to car, car opens using the keyless, by pulling on handle.
(If you don't have keyless, you can use the blade to unlock.)
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 17:32   #26
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondcoia View Post
I put this on the post about remote starting, but it seems to have come up here as well. It's not quite remote starting, but it allows you to nip out to the car and leave it warming up in relative security, as you can leave the car locked. (you can't lock the car while running with the fob)

Open Car as normal.
Start Car,
Roll down drivers window
Get out car, with keys.
Close door and reach in through open window and press the lock button
reaching in open window, close the window, and pull your arm out before it closes.
Car is now running and locked.
When returning to car, car opens using the keyless, by pulling on handle.
(If you don't have keyless, you can use the blade to unlock.)
Interesting. Poor man's remote starting (sort of). I don't really need to lock mine. The only people likely to drive off in my unlocked running car are the local farmers !
Old Feb 16th, 2016, 21:01   #27
Marc01

Quote:
Interesting. Poor man's remote starting (sort of). I don't really need to lock mine. The only people likely to drive off in my unlocked running car are the local farmers !
I hate leaving my car idling in the cold, I prefer to work it from cold it warms up quicker that way then I put on the heating, the first 5 miles are chilly that way, with heating on it takes nearly 10 miles for the engine to warm up unless I blocked the radiator partially, hot air comes out after just a few minutes robbing the engine of heat.
Had radiator belts snap on me and had to drive with windows open and heater on full blast to prevent over heating.

I thought these auxiliary heaters worked by being plugged in and warming the oil without the engine running? Sorry if this points already made.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 00:44   #28
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc01 View Post
I thought these auxiliary heaters worked by being plugged in and warming the oil without the engine running? Sorry if this points already made.
The auxiliary heaters pass warm air into the ventilation ducts. Some may also warm the engine - not sure they all do this.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 11:16   #29
Robbiefen100

My version of poor mans remote warm-up doesn't risk trapping your hand in drivers window:

Have car set to only unlock drivers door in car settings
Start engine
Withdraw key (of course!)
Turn on every heated seat and demister and put heating on full
Shut drivers door
Use the 'key blade' from within the remote fob to manually lock the door
Go back in the house and have that tea or coffee in the warm

Used to do this with old v50 all the time, couldn't do it with previous v70 with keyless entry tho
Old Nov 5th, 2016, 18:44   #30
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
I would be inclined to go for the bells and whistles over the extra 10bhp. I doubt you would really notice the difference in real world driving.
I too came from a ST2 with Code Red remap (285bhp) to a Volvo S60 D3 163bhp and I was a bit worried about the power difference. Admittedly the S60 had the 5 pot engine which is very similar to the ST 5 pot and not the VEA engine you are looking at. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't really miss the power difference, but as you know it' all about the torque in the Focus ST and they are the same at 400nm, same for the VEA engine. Do miss the 5 cylinder warble and the exhaust pops though.
I'vealways been led to believe that it's best to drive the car after a cold start, it gets the temperature up quicker which is less wear on the engine.

Tags
d4 190 vs 181, new d4 engine., v60 d4 181 vs 190