Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice Please

Views : 732

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 31st, 2020, 15:19   #1
V40DSchariot
Master Member

Default Advice Please

I don't want to name any name's yet, in that giving the garage a chance to put it right first, but here's the story.
I've had my car for 10 months ish, second hand, and being the most expensive car i've brought I took out a 12 month warranty.
I started to notice a rattle which to me was coming from the passenger side driveshaft. This occurred on full right hand lock when putting on power.
I rang a localish place as this needed to be verified/done by a garage. I took the car to them and explained what I thought it was and a guy in the garage took car for a test drive and on returning said it could be wheel bearing, wheel, etc, got the car on lift and took a look.
After taking a look on lift he said it looked like the driveshaft, but the drivers side, not what i thought of passenger side.
They rang the warranty company and agreed to pay for this work to be done.
This was done Tuesday just gone. I paid for the work and waiting for payment.
The problem is, is that the rattle is still there. I rang the garage Wed and got it booked back in for Wed next week for them to take a look again.
A couple of issues though
1 - I am close to the warranty running out on mileage as this was for 12 month or 12,000 miles.
2 - I'm not sure how the warranty company would think of paying for both driveshafts to be done. I do my own maintenance mainly but haven't come across 2 driveshafts needing doing in close proximity.
3 - I think personally the wrong side has been changed as the sound has'nt got any worse or better so doubt both sides needs/needed changing. As I had to pay for the work to be done initially, if the the warranty company refuse to pay for this it kind of defeats the object of taking the car to this said garage if indeed the wrong side has been done.
Any thoughts, advise, etc?
V40DSchariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 23:04   #2
HDAV
Master Member

You have 2 issues here

1 work done problem not solved

2 warranty claim for work

1 take it up with he garage you contracted to the do the work. If they diagnosed the fault that’s one thing, if you instructed them to replace a part that’s another.

2 deal with the warranty company if they agreed to the work they agreed, if the work was misdiagnosed there will be a process to follow. Should not impact future claims it is after all insurance....

I have had the opposite issue car had a noise sounded wheel bearing ish to me took it garage they took for a drive had it ramps said nothing wrong, heard same noise on way home from garage...... car still drives fine and no warranty so if it gets worse will be dealt with.......
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 21:37   #3
volvo for ever
Premier Member

xc60 front wheel drives only where bad for drive shafts clicking on full lock and giving it the power some times changed both sides
and sometimes just 1
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote