Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone had a water pump fail?

Views : 1573

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2020, 17:07   #1
rikernumber1
Phillip

Default Anyone had a water pump fail?

Hi All,

I'm going to get the cambelt changed on my 2.0 D5 XC60; I've been unable to satisfactorily confirm it was done per the schedule at 72,000 miles (before I owned it), and although the service book is stamped up by Volvo dealers around the time it should have been done, the best I can get out of one of the dealers is a date they 'believe' it was done on - and they said there should be a sticker in the engine bay, with the date and mileage - and there isn't. I can't see a date on the belt itself either, and I've had a mate check.

It's one of the less common 2.0 D5 engines, and it's done just shy of 106k. As the water pump is driven off the cambelt, I'm wondering whether I should get that changed as well? If they are generally reliable, then I'm inclined to leave it alone, but if people report regular water pump failures then I will get it done at the same time.

So - if you've had a water pump fail please reply to this; I'll take that as a proportion of the number of times this post is read and then make a decision based on the risk.

TIA!

Phillip
rikernumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 19:06   #2
Toprivetguns

From past experience mechanical and electrical it's one of those items you should just change. Similar ethos as you've disturbed an O-ring or you've stripped down a component. It just makes sense to replace it and have the piece of mind whilst working in that vicinity. Same goes with tensioners and belts.
Toprivetguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 19:49   #3
alf27
Alf27

From what I have read on similar posts elsewhere, the water pump should be left alone as the original item is a metal impeller which lasts forever, but most of the replacements are "rubber" & are prone to wear, but at that mileage replace both of the belts & tensioners if as you say there is no proof of it having been done previously, cheaper than a new engine !

XC60 2008 Auto Grey
alf27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alf27 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 22:19   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toprivetguns View Post
From past experience mechanical and electrical it's one of those items you should just change. Similar ethos as you've disturbed an O-ring or you've stripped down a component. It just makes sense to replace it and have the piece of mind whilst working in that vicinity. Same goes with tensioners and belts.
tell us about the water pump failures you have had with these engines please?
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 22:25   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikernumber1 View Post
Hi All,

I'm going to get the cambelt changed on my 2.0 D5 XC60; I've been unable to satisfactorily confirm it was done per the schedule at 72,000 miles (before I owned it), and although the service book is stamped up by Volvo dealers around the time it should have been done, the best I can get out of one of the dealers is a date they 'believe' it was done on - and they said there should be a sticker in the engine bay, with the date and mileage - and there isn't. I can't see a date on the belt itself either, and I've had a mate check.

It's one of the less common 2.0 D5 engines, and it's done just shy of 106k. As the water pump is driven off the cambelt, I'm wondering whether I should get that changed as well? If they are generally reliable, then I'm inclined to leave it alone, but if people report regular water pump failures then I will get it done at the same time.

So - if you've had a water pump fail please reply to this; I'll take that as a proportion of the number of times this post is read and then make a decision based on the risk.

TIA!

Phillip
which D5 engine have you got , 5 cylinder or 4 cylinder ? Neither need their cam belt changing at 72000 miles ,

4 cylinder is 90000 miles and 5 cylinders is 108000 miles , both are every 10 years which ever comes first .

I don't think you will find anyone who had a failed volvo water pump , i haven't in 30 years working on them on a professional daily basis since that type was introduced in 1990 .. i've seen plenty of poor quality copies fail though . due to old wives tales and hearsay about these pumps . just because VW / ford etc pumps fail doesn't mean Volvo ones do .
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 10:02   #6
rikernumber1
Phillip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
which D5 engine have you got , 5 cylinder or 4 cylinder ? Neither need their cam belt changing at 72000 miles
Mine is a 5 cylinder. D5204T engine code - I got the 72,000 miles reference from this site

I cannot prove it was done then, and if it hasn't, and it was due at 72K then I should get it done; if the 108K requirement is correct, then at 106K now it won't hurt to get it done - so it's getting done!

My question was specifically around water pump failures; whilst I will be getting this job done professionally, I've done cambelts and head gaskets in the past, and on those vehicles (e.g. Rover K-series engine) replacing nearly everything you touch makes complete sense.

This is my first Volvo, and whilst some aspects of the build quality are not as good as my previous Honda (no offence to anyone here - this is just my experience with a couple of aspects), some aspects appear to be quite solid. I'm supporting a daughter at uni right now I'm prepared to make risk based decisions on some things - such as replacing or not replacing the water pump. I'm looking for evidence of water pump failure to assist with that risk based decision. The cost of a genuine water pump (and I'd only fit genuine parts for this job) is around £100, plus the extra labour in fitting it and refilling the cooling system - which may not sound like much, but it is to me right now. In two years time it will be a different story

So, I suppose I should elaborate on my previous question:

Has anyone had any water pump failures on the D5 engine (regardless of variant) - or has anyone on this forum experienced a Volvo dealer expressly recommending water pump replacement along with cambelt replacement?

thanks,

Phillip

N.B Aux belt will be replaced as well - that is a no brainer!
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 10:36   #7
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

As Clan states, the Volvo waterpumps have an enviable reputation for longevity and I've never changed one yet when doing a cambelt on a D5. When checked, they have been absolutely fine.

That said, there are several posts throughout the forum where people have fitted a pattern waterpump when doing the cambelt and it has then gone on to fail , ( way before the old one ever would have ).

If you decide to change the pump , fine, but stick with your initial comment of only using a genuine Volvo one.

Hope this helps.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 10:49   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikernumber1 View Post
Mine is a 5 cylinder. D5204T engine code - I got the 72,000 miles reference from this site

I cannot prove it was done then, and if it hasn't, and it was due at 72K then I should get it done; if the 108K requirement is correct, then at 106K now it won't hurt to get it done - so it's getting done!

My question was specifically around water pump failures; whilst I will be getting this job done professionally, I've done cambelts and head gaskets in the past, and on those vehicles (e.g. Rover K-series engine) replacing nearly everything you touch makes complete sense.

This is my first Volvo, and whilst some aspects of the build quality are not as good as my previous Honda (no offence to anyone here - this is just my experience with a couple of aspects), some aspects appear to be quite solid. I'm supporting a daughter at uni right now I'm prepared to make risk based decisions on some things - such as replacing or not replacing the water pump. I'm looking for evidence of water pump failure to assist with that risk based decision. The cost of a genuine water pump (and I'd only fit genuine parts for this job) is around £100, plus the extra labour in fitting it and refilling the cooling system - which may not sound like much, but it is to me right now. In two years time it will be a different story

So, I suppose I should elaborate on my previous question:

Has anyone had any water pump failures on the D5 engine (regardless of variant) - or has anyone on this forum experienced a Volvo dealer expressly recommending water pump replacement along with cambelt replacement?

thanks,

Phillip

N.B Aux belt will be replaced as well - that is a no brainer!
you are looking up American volvo servicing schedules which are very different to ours , they do different types of journey to ours and have very different climates . for example they have omitted the vital Aux belt replacement at 54000 miles , You need to get hold of UK service schedules .
follow that and you will be fine .
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 11:06   #9
rikernumber1
Phillip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you are looking up American volvo servicing schedules which are very different to ours , they do different types of journey to ours and have very different climates . for example they have omitted the vital Aux belt replacement at 54000 miles , You need to get hold of UK service schedules .
follow that and you will be fine .
Thanks for this advice - very useful. Next obvious question: where can I get hold of the UK schedules? As it's now 9 years old I plan to do most of the routine servicing myself, with some jobs done professionally, so this would be useful.

I have searched around previously (hence that link) and I just found a link to the Volvo.com for the 'Digital Service Book', and it identifies my car via the reg, or via the detailed model info, but won't let me go any further. I also searched this website, but get too many results.

TIA again.
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 09:10   #10
BlueDevil

Here, give this a shot. Just look carefully to select your exact engine.

http://www.volvohowto.com/volvo-service-plans/
BlueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueDevil For This Useful Post: