Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC-60 2016 Reset messages and checking oil level

Views : 4027

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2020, 11:16   #1
Chrisov

Default XC-60 2016 Reset messages and checking oil level

Despite reading the manual I do no seem able to reset the messages . So far its just the fill washer bottle but...
Also when trying to check the engine oil level the icon is greyed out and dosent respond to the ok button.
Probably me missing something but any help gratefully accepted.
Thanks.
Chrisov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 11:59   #2
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisov View Post
Despite reading the manual I do no seem able to reset the messages . So far its just the fill washer bottle but...
Also when trying to check the engine oil level the icon is greyed out and dosent respond to the ok button.
Thanks.
I'm assuming you have a VEA engine. Older 5-cylinder engine may be different...

Messages clear themselves once the issue has been addressed. They can be muted using the reset button near the base of the left stalk.

Hold down the 'start' button without pushing down the clutch pedal until until the ignition switches fully on, then select the oil level function.

Oil level isn't available with the engine running, or within 2 hours of the engine being switched off (although after a recent software updates during a service it seems to no longer need that 2 hour wait).

Bear in mind that the displayed oil level is the average over the previous 30km... so if you add oil then it won't register until you've driven at least 30km.

E-dipstick only reads 'min' or 'max', plus additional words OK/low/overfull

Last edited by Zebster; Feb 15th, 2020 at 12:01.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zebster For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 15:29   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisov View Post
Thanks.
Your owners manual describes everything you need to know quite extensively .
It also says :

If the right conditions for measuring the oil
level (time after engine shutdown, the car's
inclination, outside temperature, etc.) are not
met, the message Not available will be
shown. This does not mean that there is
something wrong in the car's systems.

The attached diagram from your manual also shows that there are at least 5 active segments in the display .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V60 2016 oil gauge.jpg (83.1 KB, 37 views)
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 20:50   #4
Chrisov

Thanks for the replies.
Should of added that we have a D5 auto so no clutch and car is on level have tried after leaving car over night.
I have refilled the washer bottle a few times now and it only takes a small amount of water, less than a pint.
Chrisov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 23:47   #5
HDAV
Master Member

My to check oil keep feet off pedals and press and hold start until you get into ignition mode 2 then the oil check option is displayed.

The message reset is done in the menu with the arrow on the left stall the goes back on itself ..
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 11:29   #6
MadAlicesDad

Default Oil level display

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post

The attached diagram from your manual also shows that there are at least 5 active segments in the display .
My 2015MY V60 D4 looks the same as this and Volvo assured me it was a graduated scale when they investigated high oil consumption. However I have never seen it display anything other than full or low.

When I complained about the consumption, Volvo refilled it and told me to come back after 2000km. After 2000km it still said full so I contacted them to say it hadn't used any oil. Within two days the low oil warning message came back.

Also, if I refill it a bit at a time (and run car each time), the gauge reads low and then eventually full. There are no intermediate stages.

The display may have several segments but it seems to be operated by a simple switch.

Or do I have a dodgy sensor?

Mike
MadAlicesDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 11:34   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAlicesDad View Post
My 2015MY V60 D4 looks the same as this and Volvo assured me it was a graduated scale when they investigated high oil consumption. However I have never seen it display anything other than full or low.

When I complained about the consumption, Volvo refilled it and told me to come back after 2000km. After 2000km it still said full so I contacted them to say it hadn't used any oil. Within two days the low oil warning message came back.

Also, if I refill it a bit at a time (and run car each time), the gauge reads low and then eventually full. There are no intermediate stages.

The display may have several segments but it seems to be operated by a simple switch.

Mike
it is worth investigating , the level sensor is quite sophisticated , it works on the sonor principle and averaging out the reading .. It sends back 3 pieces of data on the digital output , Oil level , Oil temperature and oil quality .
In normal practice you might see it go down a bit between services , most don't move though as you would expect .
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 12:18   #8
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAlicesDad View Post

Mike
Definitely no intermediate indications on mine. I do check the level quite often due to it consuming a bit of oil and I've only even seen it display min or max. Many others have also made this observation. My manual does not imply intermediate readings.

However some models (engine dependant?) obviously do have the ability to display intermediate readings, as described by the knowledgeable Clan!

I do have a diagnostic set-up that can access the engine oil level sensor reading in mm, so I'm not dependant upon the gauge.
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 12:22   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Definitely no intermediate indications on mine. I do check the level quite often due to it consuming a bit of oil and I've only even seen it display min or max. Many others have also made this observation. My manual does not imply intermediate readings.

However some models (engine dependant?) obviously do have the ability to display intermediate readings, as described by the knowledgeable Clan!

I do have a diagnostic set-up that can access the engine oil level sensor reading in mm, so I'm not dependant upon the gauge.
do your % readings alter as you would expect them to ? as that is the data sent to the level gauge ..
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 12:32   #10
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
do your % readings alter as you would expect them to ? as that is the data sent to the level gauge ..
The readings do go down over time, consistent with oil loss. The gauge does then eventually 'flip' from 'max' to 'min' and - at the same time - the additional indication 'OK' switches to 'low'. I then leave it until I get the 'add 0.5L' message, once I add that volume the e-dipstick goes back to max + OK.

Over the period of my ownership I have learnt to trust the 'add 0.5L' message.

As an aside, following the recent service the e-dipstick is available very soon after switching the engine off.