Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Headlight Bulb Changing

Views : 54130

Replies : 109

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2019, 13:59   #91
Planet_Ovlov

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
2001-2004 S60 V70 had high quality headlight units with thick glass cover and well designed. Access was restricted by the airbox and ECM box, but once inside the bulb is indeed removed/replaced with ease (if a little fiddling)

Then from 2005 on some Volvo put a much cheaper and flimsy headlight with plastic cover. These are horrendous to replace the bulbs, I would advise buying a box with band-aids in advance. Basically, once the access to the bulbs is clear, I had to use pliers to unscrew the bulb (on 01-04 these are only secured with a metal clip), not to mention it is not clear which way those have to be unscrewed. Scary design, I think the engineer who did it is still ashamed to this day
I think I’m fortunate in that I have a 54 but facelift? (plastic headlamps) but the bulb is held with a spring clip I mean Ged to winkle off with a screwdriver. Said spring then decided to fall off its pins, bulb doesn’t sit in reassuringly either had to use gravity to hold it in situ until I could reverse winkle the spring clip !

Last edited by Planet_Ovlov; Jul 14th, 2019 at 14:00. Reason: Grammar
Planet_Ovlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 14:34   #92
Jazbee

2006 XC70..... yep airbox out makes the nearside much easier, used the wife's handbag mirror to have a look in the space after removing the rubber dust cover. Note the position of the old bulb when removing and ensure new one in the same way with the tangs horizontal and the tab at the top. The wire clip needs to be pushed in at the top and moved to one side to clip into the little slot which you will see with a small mirror.
I used a spare H7 55 bulb from a bulb kit i had in the garage so will probably order a pair of long life Bosche ones and change both out again soon..... the offside on my XC70 looks easier to do, no ECU blocking access, just a few cable to move out of the way. Don't leave the rubber dust cover on top of the engine and then start it to check everything ok as it will 'walk' itself off and fall into the depths of the engine never to be found
XC70 D5 SE Lux 2007
V70 D5 SE 2008
Jazbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 17:29   #93
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazbee View Post
2006 XC70..... yep airbox out makes the nearside much easier, used the wife's handbag mirror to have a look in the space after removing the rubber dust cover. Note the position of the old bulb when removing and ensure new one in the same way with the tangs horizontal and the tab at the top. The wire clip needs to be pushed in at the top and moved to one side to clip into the little slot which you will see with a small mirror.
I used a spare H7 55 bulb from a bulb kit i had in the garage so will probably order a pair of long life Bosche ones and change both out again soon..... the offside on my XC70 looks easier to do, no ECU blocking access, just a few cable to move out of the way. Don't leave the rubber dust cover on top of the engine and then start it to check everything ok as it will 'walk' itself off and fall into the depths of the engine never to be found
Get the proper long life Volvo H7 bulbs , you don't want to do that job too often :-)
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 17:51   #94
djneils98

Default use Halfords

I've had the bulbs on my v70 changed twice both times at Halfords who were able to do it without removing anything and only charged a few quid.
djneils98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 13:58   #95
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

PUBLIC NOTICE:
Be cautious when you insert the bulb. You want to keep your hands/fingers off the glass BUT ALSO there's a shroud or beam limiter in the housing the bulb's glass element goes into. It's merely a tube of metal you wouldn't think twice about.

Someone had shoved in my NS low beam (dipped beam to you) CROOKEDLY. They missed going into the sheet metal tube and jammed the bulb against it's side. This gave me a WAY out of focus beam.

It's easy to see someone becoming frustrated or fatigued with this diddly task so be careful. Alas, it's also easy to comprehend someone not caring to do it right.

Actually, I was driving behind my brother-in-law who noticed to out of focus beam. Sis, also in the car, texted me a photo.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 16:10   #96
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Get the proper long life Volvo H7 bulbs , you don't want to do that job too often :-)
Even if he wants to, his fingers won't last that long https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzDCjcM0TPE
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 14:53   #97
Jazbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by djneils98 View Post
I've had the bulbs on my v70 changed twice both times at Halfords who were able to do it without removing anything and only charged a few quid.
Local Halfords refuse to do V70/XC70 etc, for the very reason it can be a long and painful job
XC70 D5 SE Lux 2007
V70 D5 SE 2008
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 15:37   #98
djneils98

Quote:
Local Halfords refuse to do V70/XC70 etc, for the very reason it can be a long and painful job
my local Halfords have done mine 3 times now and every time it's only taken them about 10=15 mins and didn't seem to be a huge issue.
djneils98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2020, 21:50   #99
Jazbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Yes, ordered a pair of Osram Ultra Life which is a 4yr (quoted) life span.... I think its best changing over both sides at the same time, they are only about £12 for a 2 pack.
XC70 D5 SE Lux 2007
V70 D5 SE 2008
Old Oct 30th, 2020, 22:13   #100
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Yes, ordered a pair of Osram Ultra Life which is a 4yr (quoted) life span.... I think its best changing over both sides at the same time, they are only about £12 for a 2 pack.
i would look at the small print regarding life span , is that continuous use ? if not , how many hours a day are the expecting them to be on?

I know volvo long life H7 give you 2 to 3 years generally ... being on all day.
( and night sometimes ! )