Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel DPF recall

Views : 80411

Replies : 450

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2010, 14:11   #1
Bill_56
Premier Member

Default Diesel DPF recall

I've just received a recall letter, describing that with DPFs, under some driving conditions 'engine oil levels may rise'. The recall is to check the oil level + a software update. According to my letter, it affects S60/V70/XC70 & XC90, 2006 to 2009.

When they say 'oil level may rise', I assume they actually mean 'fuel may enter the sump', which I think I've read about elsewhere with DPFs.

Anybody know what it's all about? Is it some bodge to try and paper over the cracks in DPF technology, or is it a worthwhile improvement?
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill_56 For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2010, 16:32   #2
GMcL
0's and 1's

Last week there was a general press release regrading most model of Volvo's with a variation of the 2.4 diesel engine.

You can find it under General Volvo and Motoring Discussions here & here.

The engine may self fuel causing unintended acceleration.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 21:35   #3
Bill_56
Premier Member

GMcL,

I'm sure you're right that's the same issue.

However the recall letter doesn't describe it like that, it simply mentions that 'oil level may rise, it mentions nothing about possible self-fueling. Also, the recall letter mentions a 'software upgrade', whereas the press release suggests there is no fix (yet), all they want to do is warn & watch.

I think I'll be digging deeper to find out exactly what this 'software upgrade' does, before I accept it. If, for example, it restricts DPF regeneration to higher temperatures, it could result in the dreaded 'soot filter full' for cars that previously ran OK...

And one more point... if the oil is being 'diluted' by adding unspent diesel, them merely siphoning off the excess won't restore the oil's original properties.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill_56 For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2010, 12:03   #4
Chauffeurdude

I have just had this letter aswell and am rather concerned. My D5 appears to have been running well averaging about 43-45mpg. Wary of just letting the stealer mess with the car! I have longlife servicing (18000 miles) and have now done nearly 16000 miles since purchase when it was serviced. I have been rather impressed that it appears to use no oil but of course it could have been topping itself up with fuel That said as it is meant to sense when service is due presumably if oil was contaminated with fuel then service indicator would be on by now? Will ring stealer to find out score as need to book in for service anyway.
Chauffeurdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 12:51   #5
Bill_56
Premier Member

From googling this issue, it seems to be a fairly widespread issue across all manufacturers with DPF-equipped cars. From what I understand (and please somebody correct me if I'm wrong), the problem usually seems to arise from the fact that active DPF regeneration is achieved by injecting extra diesel into the cylinders post-combustion, so that it is passed unburnt into the exhaust to reach the DPF, where it then burns off the soot. Unfortunately the unspent diesel can also find its wat into the sump.

I'm very worried about this 'software upgrade'. An obvious way to tackle the above problem would be to restrict the circumstances in which the engine would attempt active regeneration, so that 'failed' regeneration cycles are reduced. But that in turn may lead to missed opportunities for successful regeneration and, in turn, could lead to clogged DPFs for cars that aren't used on the motorways.

My dealer tells me that Volvo don't tell him what the softare upgrade changes, they're simply instructed to install it. From past experience, I know Volvo won't discuss anything technical with me, they just tell me to ask the dealer.

Not sure where to go from here..?
Old May 11th, 2010, 13:38   #6
bassanclan

Mazda 6s have a similar DPF problem their answer was to fit a new disptick with a "OIL HIGH" mark. So when the oil gets to that level you should have an oil change. In the end I got a petrol!

Thank goodness I have an 05 model s80 pre DPF, they sound more trouble than they are worth.
bassanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 22:18   #7
musicman

More details on affected models and VINs can be found in the EU RAPEX data base:

http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/dyna/r...rchives_en.cfm

Type "volvo" in the search box and you'll get the safety recalls

Last edited by musicman; May 11th, 2010 at 22:25.
musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to musicman For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:59   #8
Dynosaur
GoldMember

A friend of mine has removed the cat. converter - which if the DPF's therein, certainly eliminates the problem and probably gets him old D5 consumption.
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:27   #9
Bill_56
Premier Member

The CNN article seems to be the most widely quoted...

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS...ration/?hpt=T2
Quote:
The problem is that today's diesel fuel has a lot of biodiesel mixed in with it, and that doesn't evaporate like normal diesel," Froberg explained.
Personally, I wasn't aware that 'normal' diesel was ever contaminated with bio but, if that's true, I suspect it's a problem that will only get worse as pressure from the Green lobbies grow.

It's also worth noting that it seems important to avoid biodiesels in cars with DPFs, an aspect that seems to be supported by a quick google.
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:54   #10
Gazdok
Master Member

I have a question re. the quoted VINs. They are much shorter than my VIN. How do you read them?

V70 2006-08 0530000-0693560

Is this a sequence from the end or the middle part?
Gazdok is offline   Reply With Quote