Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel DPF recall

Views : 80723

Replies : 450

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2010, 15:10   #11
Bill_56
Premier Member

If your car has a DPF, then I'd be surprised if it's not included in one of the recall lists. But it it's not, perhaps let us know as it would be interesting to know if some DPFs are deemed to be OK whilst others aren't?

You know, this could be the tip of an iceberg... a google search for dpf oil level rising reveals that there's been complaints of rising oil level, with occasional runaway acceleration, on many other makes as well as Volvo.

Most car makers seem to have been burying heads in sand, but if Volvo has broken ranks and admitted it's a problem, the other car makers will probably follow suit. And once the genie's out of the bottle, there could be quite a backlash.

This may not be a good time to invest in a diesel engined car if has a DPF (and nearly all do, nowadays).
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 17:17   #12
musicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdok View Post
I have a question re. the quoted VINs. They are much shorter than my VIN. How do you read them?

V70 2006-08 0530000-0693560

Is this a sequence from the end or the middle part?
It refers to the last 7 digits of your VIN
musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 17:49   #13
Jet2 D5
VOC Member

Post Diesel DPF recall

Like others back in 55 plate time I had a DPF inflicted without any prior advise and as some posts at the time relate was unimpressed with the loss of 6 mpg.

Just checked the oil level which is + 5 mm, can say I have often seen it higher but as it has never been very clear where the max level is did not really rung any bells.

Car has done 4500 miles since last oil change with 9 regeneration cycles but more importantly split over 19 engine starts, use Shell V Power which probably avoids the bio implications - have put any software download on hold until some clarification is available on the functional change and effect.
Old May 12th, 2010, 19:51   #14
ITServe
XC90 Exec in Grey Pearl

Doesn't affect post-2009 XC90 vehicles with VIN numbers ending after -512668

So I'm alright I hope!
ITServe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 19:59   #15
Gazdok
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet2 D5 View Post
Like others back in 55 plate time I had a DPF inflicted without any prior advise and as some posts at the time relate was unimpressed with the loss of 6 mpg.

Just checked the oil level which is + 5 mm, can say I have often seen it higher but as it has never been very clear where the max level is did not really rung any bells.

Car has done 4500 miles since last oil change with 9 regeneration cycles but more importantly split over 19 engine starts, use Shell V Power which probably avoids the bio implications - have put any software download on hold until some clarification is available on the functional change and effect.
I know this a little off topic but how do you know that the engine is going through a regeneration?
Gazdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 20:15   #16
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
I know this a little off topic but how do you know that the engine is going through a regeneration?
On mine, the 'instantaneous MPG' takes a dive, probably reduced by about 50%. Instananeous MPG is all over the place at the best of times of course, so hard to make much sense of it, but I find if I put the car on cruise control on a straight and level road I can get some consistent readings. After a few miles, it's reflected in the 'distance til empty' figure, which typically 'loses', say, 100 miles during regeneration, then regains about 60 miles afterwards. All sorts of other things affect the DTE, so you can only draw any conclusions if you're driving the same route with the same weather & traffic that you day every other day of the week, and suddenly notice one day being different to the others.

The sudden evaporation of 100 miles from DTE is one of the most annoying aspects of DPF for me, as it makes the DTE computer laughably unreliable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill_56 For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2010, 10:26   #17
Jet2 D5
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Bill 56 many thanks for answering the question - could confirm I am still waiting for the dealer to obtain some definitive information from Volvo, living in hope?
Old May 14th, 2010, 11:25   #18
Bill_56
Premier Member

It really does look as if Volvo are hiding something here.

Earlier in the week, I called Volvo CR, demanding to know how the 'software upgrade' would help. Initially said they'd get somebody to email me, then they called back a day later to say they'd call my dealer and tell him the details so I could discuss it when I visited.

I've just had a wasted morning, as I went in to have it done and the dealer STILL knew nothing about it, and hadn't had any call from Volvo. So I've not yet agreed to the update. I also feel sorry for the dealer as it's not his fault, and he's probably now had his morning's work schedule disrupted.

Since Volvo are refusing to be open with me, I'm speculating that one of two scenarios may exist here:

1) The software upgrade will make active regeneration less aggressive, which could lead to 'soot filter full' problems for cars like mine that rarely see the motorway. I have no doubt whatsoever that Volvo would then just fob me off with 'driving style' explanations.

2) The software upgrade is being offered purely as a 'placebo' to make us think Volvo are doing something about it, when they aren't.

That is pure speculation, but if Volvo won't talk, they can't be surprised if people then speculate.

I have now approached BBC TV Watchdog. I've used Watchdog before, and I know that the more emails/letters they get, the more notice they will take. So if anybody else feels as strongly as I do, can I suggest you also approach the BBC?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill_56 For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2010, 21:36   #19
Jet2 D5
VOC Member

Unhappy

All gone very quite on this subject and the three related threads (XC60 2.4D - Oil level going up, & Engine: D52447 - Over Filled oil?, D5 (2005 on) Rising oil level on C30 D5)

Further to leaving any software download on hold until some clarification is available on any functional changes my dealer has now been waiting over a week for Volvo to respond to questions raised and suggests with all the speculation & interest in this software upgrade they are making sure that whatever news they release it is watertight. - anyone getting any info on the subject?
Old May 19th, 2010, 22:37   #20
Chauffeurdude

Spoke to Bells Volvo where my car came from today to book in for service and they said they will do recall work at the same time (Tuesday 1st June). Bit vague when I asked what it entailed and they are going to ring me back. Mine appears to have been fine though as level not gone up over 16000 miles. Service light not on yet which presume it would have if oil contaminated with fuel. Can't say I have really noticed the regeneration process though anyway. Strangely my average fuel consumption has gone up to 46.2 this last week with no appreciable difference in work/driving conditions!!
Chauffeurdude is offline   Reply With Quote