Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What I did today thread...

Views : 326610

Replies : 3020

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2017, 05:29   #1031
MWMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by INS60T View Post
Yesterday I went all out to fix the annoying handbrake issues that are stopping my S60 getting an MOT.
I had purchased all the parts I needed including two handbrake cables, history has taught me that even though you think you might not need something it is better to have it as sods law dictates you'll end up needing it....
Long story short turns out that the handbrake cables weren't needed. Lack of use (as the car had been laid up for a few months) had seen one of the handbrake cables semi-seize up. With everything slackened off and copious use of penetrating oil the o/s cable eased off perfectly and the n/s benefited from some TLC.
Although new shoes weren't needed I fitted them and the jewel in the crown a pair of adjustable handbrake shoe links. Handbrake is better now than it ever has been, why they weren't a standard part is beyond me!
The really good news is that I didn't have to take half of the car apart to fit the new handbrake cables. Result.
MOT next week.... fingers crossed.
Mine failed its MOT last week on "Parking Brake Balance". I took it home, stripped out both rear brake Discs and Drums and checked the Pads, and operating mechanism. Both sides were free and operated the drum pads OK. (I had only changed the pads and discs last year so they looked like new.) When I put the drums back on and tried each wheel with the handbrake lever, each one locked up OK. Back for retest and guess what - some improvement but still failed. As I dont have the adjusters on the wheels, I am assuming its the handbrake cables. New ones coming this week, and when I have those fitted and set up, I'll take it to a different MOT tester.
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 21:33   #1032
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Before my MOT recently, I took the handbrake cable out off the back plate and fired spray grease up the cable and left the end facing up the way for half an hour and let the grease work its way in. I also jiggled the cable to free it off in case it was corroding away in there.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShadeTek For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 23:31   #1033
Russbmw

Well, discovered Frank (the tank) didn't have a locking wheel bolt key - marvelous!

Took it to my local(ish....but they're very good) tyre place who removed them for me. Whilst i was there, had 4 new boots fitted, as the car had 2 matching, but perished sidewall Continentals, new rear and worn front (not matched) ditchfinder specials.
Russbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 14:01   #1034
davebb
Premier Member

Hi I have just changed my Bosch alternator regulator/brush pack on my 2002 S60 D5
as my voltage as my voltage was max of 13.9 but would start dropping down after the car had been running for about 5-10mins ,The brushes were worn just like Simons ones with one longer then the other ,
and the voltage would go down to 12.4v with car electrics fully loaded,
also some thing people don't know, that the injectors take close to 20amps when switching, but that is a fast on/off, but there is 5 off them, I did once use a scope and a amp clamp to measure them ,
Thanks to Simons help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc8t...va09m&index=27

the car is now charging 14.4v, at the battery at idle
and 13.9v at full load all on, at idle at bat post near fuse box
Dave

Last edited by davebb; Nov 1st, 2017 at 15:27.
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 14:15   #1035
Russbmw

Day 5 of S80 ownership. Had the aircon regassed - no leaks, held pressure and is now nice and cold. Happy days. Compressor is a little noisy though, but I'm hoping it's just because it's not been run for ages and so once the oil works its way into things it might quieten down.

Had a 4 wheel alignment done as well - every wheel was pointing a different direction it seems, but adjustment went smoothly, and now all 4 wheels are pointing the right way are at acceptable angles! Steering wheel was every so slightly off centre before, but is straight now too.
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 22:01   #1036
Svendahornking

Swore at the headlamp switch on the xc70. appears to ignore what set to and just puts on headlamps but with no highbeam or backlighting for radio. Previus owner paid £35 for diagnosis and it said headlamp switch. I've ckeaned the push button switches and believing that it is in fact a broken wire which is cable tied to bulkhead immediately behind dashboard.
Svendahornking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 18:00   #1037
davebb
Premier Member

Today I removed my front bumper/grill From my s60 D5 and fitted some black wire mesh and fitted it to the inside of the bottom grill opening to protect my 4 month old
air conditioning condenser , as anything could fly up from the road and hit it,
I cut the mesh to be bigger then the rear of the opening and then bent it around it and then used the GLUE GUN to hold it in place,
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mesh bottom grill.jpg (165.5 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by davebb; Nov 3rd, 2017 at 19:26.
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davebb For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 23:40   #1038
Russbmw

Took receipt of replacement headlight and indicator, and new grille. Other than That, Frank had a day off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russbmw For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2017, 19:33   #1039
Russbmw

Swapped out the buggered drivers side headlight and fitted new grille.

Cleaned up and rust treated the somewhat doggy looking front suspension bits and pieces.
Old Nov 9th, 2017, 14:34   #1040
SandyVol

Got this in the mail today, hell yeah!

SandyVol is offline   Reply With Quote