Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seal on windscreen.

Views : 2123

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2018, 19:48   #1
Johnny Kebab

Default Seal on windscreen.

Hi All,

Been reading up on here about peoples windscreen sealant perishing and water getting in, I think this is what may be happening to mine but I noticed tonight that there’s a gap along the top of the windscreen. Should there be a rubber seal in this gap? I’ve not noticed before and I can’t remember there ever being one.

Thanks in advance.

Johnny Kebab
Johnny Kebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 20:06   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Kebab View Post
Hi All,

Been reading up on here about peoples windscreen sealant perishing and water getting in, I think this is what may be happening to mine but I noticed tonight that there’s a gap along the top of the windscreen. Should there be a rubber seal in this gap? I’ve not noticed before and I can’t remember there ever being one.

Thanks in advance.

Johnny Kebab
no seal fitted , the glass is bonded directly to the body flange the sealant has failed to bond , see your dealer they may be sympathetic ...
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 20:49   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

It's an issue that affected the earlier P3 cars (2007-2009) where the top of the screen didn't bond properly - mine is such a car. However it is only an issue in sleet/snow or if I was it with a power washer in which case I get 2 or 3 drips, so I've decided to live with it.

Unless you have a leak - I wouldn't bother. There is no seal so it does look like there is a gap at the top.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 21:12   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
It's an issue that affected the earlier P3 cars (2007-2009) where the top of the screen didn't bond properly - mine is such a car. However it is only an issue in sleet/snow or if I was it with a power washer in which case I get 2 or 3 drips, so I've decided to live with it.

Unless you have a leak - I wouldn't bother. There is no seal so it does look like there is a gap at the top.
2010 to 2014- really and with the gap it lets water in which is often unseen and ends up in the depths of the floor , and lets outside noise in ,
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 22:51   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
2010 to 2014- really and with the gap it lets water in which is often unseen and ends up in the depths of the floor , and lets outside noise in ,
On my 2008 car the floor is bone dry but very occasionally get a drip running down the inside from just to the right of the mirror.

On happens in sleet or car washes...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 12:14   #6
Vol S80 Lux
My first Volvo

I have the same problem on my s80.

What Iv done is pulled the headlining back a little bit and using the selfie cam on my phone I can see a little gap running down the centre of the black waterproof strip. Well, I think thats what it is. Im very tempted to squeeze some waterproof glue/sealant in it to see if I can plug the gap and stop the rainwater getting in. Its only one drop at a time but I love my car very much so I want it to be spot on.
Vol S80 Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 12:16   #7
Vol S80 Lux
My first Volvo

Ill try and take a pic on my phone and show you guys what I mean
Vol S80 Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 12:21   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol S80 Lux View Post
I have the same problem on my s80.

What Iv done is pulled the headlining back a little bit and using the selfie cam on my phone I can see a little gap running down the centre of the black waterproof strip. Well, I think thats what it is. Im very tempted to squeeze some waterproof glue/sealant in it to see if I can plug the gap and stop the rainwater getting in. Its only one drop at a time but I love my car very much so I want it to be spot on.
The windscreen must be securely bonded all the way around to be safe with the passenger air bag and also it helps with the stiffness if the screen surround in an accident , it needs removing and rebonding with the correct volvo tools and bonding agents ...
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 20:38   #9
Shinjuku

Had this on my v70. Two places at top of the screen in the mirror image of one another.

Got a new screen fitted for 250 quid. No chips, scratches anymore and no pin leaks either. Wasn't pleased at the time but it was money well spent now I look through glass that hasn't done 95k miles.
Shinjuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2018, 09:03   #10
Tatsfield
Premier Member

The screen is no longer just a piece of glass through which to look. On modern cars it is part of the structural integrity of the body. The advance in bonding technology enabled manufacturers to design very much larger screens h huge screen apertures which, if not stabilised would lead to flexing and buckling of the upper bodywork. The manner in which the screen is bonded to the entire screen aperture flange returns rigidity to the upper bodywork. Basically it's a way of plugging a huge hole that would otherwise allow the whole body to warp. So it is vital that the screen is securely bonded to the entire flange. Missing bonding would allow the screen to separate from the bodywork in the event of a serious accident and for the upper body work to collapse and this is why Volvo are so worried about the state of the screen. It's got little to do with concerns about water ingress and all to do with bodywork integrity.